Miyata bumper protection

I just got a nice new grey Miyata seat; it works great. The problem is
that the rear (and front) bumper appear to be made of extremely soft plastic
and that dropping the uni took out a rather large chunk. While it’s only
cosmetic now, with prolonged usage it could become more serious.

So, I was thinking of maybe gluing/screwing a series of rubber bumpers
on so that they get abraded instead. Anyone else had this problem or tried
this solution?

Alex

i think the real question here is where did you get a NEW GREY miyata seat???

Color Blind

I’m colorblind, and I see the Green Miyata seat kind of Greyish. This might also be the case for Alex.

Check http://members.aol.com/protanope/colorblindtest.html if you care to know if you are C.B.

~C

Re: Miyata bumper protection

www.mys-co.com would be more than willing to sell you a grey Miyata seat.
Actually I ordered a green one because the grey ones are more expensive but
they messed up and sent me a grey one - oh well, it was what I really wanted
anyway.

The real reason I ordered from them was because the Canadian dollar is way
way down and unicycle.com is thus way way too expensive. The yen on the
other hand is also down so Japanese prices are far more reasonable. The
funny thing is that despite getting the seat shipped by air across the
pacific, it was still cheaper than one from unicycle.com.

(Now does everyone rip their bumpers apart or are the grey ones particularly
soft?)

Alex

alex

i’ve never used a grey one before .usally the lighter the color in plastic the weaker in strenth.i dont know if that applys here but my guess is that grey would be marginally longer lasting.

my green bumper has takin alot of skids,the miyata name has worn off but its still got pleanty of life left in it after 10 months of riding.

by the way, having a nice seat teaches you how to catch that baby in one hand and crash w/the other.

I went through the process of ordering a miyata seat from mys-co.com, and got to the stage of entering my credit card details. I then wimped out as i felt that the site had no security measures, and was worried about the card details being availible to hacker scum. Was i right to not continue? i don’t know anything about computers really, so i could have been wrong. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Also, has anyone in Britain ever bought anything from them, how fast did it ship etc?

Thanx

RE: Miyata bumper protection

> I just got a nice new grey Miyata seat; it works great.
> The problem is that the rear (and front) bumper appear to
> be made of extremely soft plastic and that dropping the
> uni took out a rather large chunk. While it’s only
> cosmetic now, with prolonged usage it could become more serious.
>
> So, I was thinking of maybe gluing/screwing a series of
> rubber bumpers
> on so that they get abraded instead. Anyone else had this
> problem or tried this solution?

Bumpers for your bumpers? I can’t tell from your description above if the
grey bumpers are softer than the other ones. Have you used the other colors?
Softer, or the same?

Sometimes when a Miyata seat gets dropped on something soft it makes a big
scratch or can even take a chunk out. But I’ve used the same read seat for
years on trails (I don’t ride nearly as much as some people though) and
though it’s scratched and chewed up, it’s still fine. Sometimes you have to
file or sand down rough edges though.

Stay on top,
John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
jfoss@unicycling.com

“If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.”

Re: Miyata bumper protection

Ok, then by the sounds of it the seat should be fine (I guess once it gets
all scratched up you don’t notice any of the new scratches). I’ve never
owned any of the other colours although the black Bedford seat which this
one is replacing was completely indestructible.

As for the whole credit card safety issue, the credit card I used is insured
(by MasterCard) for all online purchases.

Alex

Re: Miyata bumper protection

“jagur” <jagur.2adin@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:jagur.2adin@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
>usally the lighter the color in
> plastic the weaker in strenth.i dont know if that applys here but my
> guess is that grey would be marginally longer lasting.
>

If you have encountered plastics like this, then they probably had been
exposed to sunlight for a while. Darker pigments on the surface will
protect the deeper material from UV damage. Black is the best for this.

There are good additives now to protect from UV. Hopefully Miyata specs
this out in the plastic parts that they purchase.

Doug

Re: Miyata bumper protection

You’re right to not send your credit card number out unencrypted. If the
little lock symbol isn’t present in your browser and the URL doesn’t start
with https (s for secure), then don’t do anything with that server involving
money or confidential information. So you end up not buying from them, but
don’t stop there. Write and tell them that you wanted to be a customer, but
their lack of SSL (and brains) stopped you.

—Nathan

“Ando” <Ando.2agan@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:Ando.2agan@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I went through the process of ordering a miyata seat from
> mys-co.com, and got to the stage of entering my credit card details. I
> then wimped out as i felt that the site had no security measures, and
> was worried about the card details being availible to hacker scum. Was i
> right to not continue? i don’t know anything about computers really, so
> i could have been wrong. Can anyone shed any light on this?
>
> Also, has anyone in Britain ever bought anything from them, how fast did
> it ship etc?
>
> Thanx

Wasn’t John Drummond going to get in those 1500 miyata seats delivered in March? He had purchased 500 of three colors.

My green miyata seat is all scratched up from dumping the Muni so often. It even has some gashes in it, but not a chunk out of it.

Work the maze.

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by The Munieer
[B]Wasn’t John Drummond going to get in those 1500 miyata seats delivered in March? He had purchased 500 of three colors.

i heard April

RE: Miyata bumper protection

> As for the whole credit card safety issue, the credit card I
> used is insured (by MasterCard) for all online purchases.

This credit card insurance is a good thing, but it may be intended for
single occurrances, such as if the vendor takes your money but doesn’t
deliver any goods.

If your credit card number is compromised by being intercepted at any one of
the many places it will be recorded in a typical HTTP trip to Japan, a thief
could run up lots of expensive charges, of which you will probably have to
cover a “deductible” amount.

I appreciate that the MYS folks are working to make their products available
outside of Japan, but you are indeed taking a risk sending credit card
information over an unsecured connection. I wonder if you could uses PayPal?
I use it for eBay, but don’t know how it works for international
transactions…

Stay on top,
John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
jfoss@unicycling.com

“It takes four times the man to ride twice the half the bike.” - Scott
Kurland, on Coker unicycles

The way I placed my order with MYS was to use their ordering system to find out the total cost including packaging. I then got the fax number from their contact details. I faxed the order through to Japan with order details, address etc. and asked them to e-mail me back if there was any problem.

I had an e-mail response waiting the next morning and a grey saddle a few days later. Currently there are only minor marks as I haven’t had any signficant drops.

Keith