Miyata air seat leans to the left.

I had the fortune of receiving a gift of an air seat cover and tube sock as a gift from a uni pal last week. I did the conversion the very next day and immediately appreciated the improvement the air seat makes in a stock Miyata. However, after riding for 10 km or so I found my fine new air ride was serious leaning to the left.
This lead to a rather uncomfortable encounter between my right thigh and the edge of the seat base.

The amount of air I have in the tube seems right as the ride is, other than the lean, quite cushy.

I have never riden an converted air seat before, is this a common problem? Any things I can do to try keep everything more centred?

Erin

Erin,

It sounds like perhaps the tube may be overlapping inside the cover. I’ve encountered the problem several times and it may be what you’re experiencing, too.

More specifically, in an air conversion, two sections of the tube lay along the length of the saddle from front to back. In order to get the cover reinstalled, the tube usually needs to be deflated (I take the valve stem out to make the tube more workable. It may also help to talc up the tube). There is not enough room width-wise on the saddle base for two lengths of tube so one side usually overlaps the other. With the cover in place, once the tube is inflated, the tube remains overlapped and makes one edge of the saddle higher than the other. Hope that’s descriptive enough.

Here’s my fix. I install the cover front and back only. Then I inflate the tube slightly, reach up under the cover from the sides and work away the tube overlap. Once it’s set, I secure the sides of the cover and then inflate the tube to it’s desired pressure.

Let us know what you find.

Bruce

I have found that with the taller covers, i.e. Roach and the newer Gemcrest leather, it takes so much air to fill the cover that it tends to lean and flop over. I use the older, shorter leather covers and less air.
It takes some trial and error to set up an airseat, it’s a personal thing.
I also cut and fit a triangular piece of foam into the dogbone at the rear to maintain the placement of the tubes.
Bruce’s tip about fastening the front and back first are what I do as well. Mess around with it a bit, once you get it right, you’ll never go back.

12" tube is best ,you won’t have to fold it over.20" tube is overkill
If I’ve learned anything from this forum it’s how to build an air saddle ,the threads are endless.