Mike Tierney - another epic climb

Yes Carl, I did follow the same route as cycle to the sun event.
I will do a write up at some point for everyone to enjoy, just trying to get caught up with my business now.

This is the start of the epic climb, Baldwin Park- Paia Bay

Yeah! My dad lives in Lahaina, so I go to Maui nearly once a year. I always bring a unicycle, and at one point some of the locals could even tell the difference when I brought a 20" trials instead of the 24" muni (Hey, brah, you have a smalla wheel now, yeah?)

We will be going to Africa for our honeymoon! We’ll do the two week uni tour next year, and then spend 1.5 more months touring around to see the sights. (Provided we can afford it). We’ll start in east africa, and potentially go to further south (Madagascar).

corbin

Oh, and some other notes on Mike’s incredible achievement. I told Louise that he made it to the top, and she was like, “What!?? I had trouble just breathing up there.”

Corbin…maybe you can be the first (?) to uni up Kilimanjaro!

As far as the thin air on Haleakala…Mike lives at almost 8ooo ft, works at altitudes around 13K, so a 10K Mtn is not that bad! :slight_smile:

An amazing achievement none the less!

All wheels are illegal on Kilimanjaro unfortunately.

Second. The Independence Pass article was great.

–tom

Mike probably had more of a problem starting at sea level. The weight of all that extra atmosphere and oxygen must have just about crushed him.

You are making all kinds of news. Thanks for sharing with us sea-level types. Great job!

A Big Thanks To All

Yeah Tom you got it; the heat and humidity was new to me. Plus the trade winds, even before dawn were quite a challenge. The elevation was welcome, with it came cooler temps and less humidity.

[I]I WANT TO TAKE A MOMENT HERE AND THANK EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU FOR YOUR PERENNIAL SUPPORT OF MY CLIMBS… THANK YOU!:slight_smile:

I AM GRATEFUL TO BE PART OF A FUN, MOTIVATING GROUP OF CRAZIES, AND LOOK FORWARD TO MANY MORE RIDES.

LOVE, PEACE, AND HAPPINESS TO ALL. [/I]

This pic is of my “send off” crew. Our friends from Haiku and my wife, bless their souls for getting up so early and wishing me well.

I had no idea Harper was there too.

Thats funny.:smiley:

Mike, Great Job, I never thought of doing that, only because it would be inconceivable to me.:o You came from an high altitude so that helps. Although, people lose acclimation to high attitude fast after being at sea level. Did you do the ride within a few days of getting there?

I been up there several times. Camping up there is unreal.

Bring your Muni next time and look me up.

Not, really. I did the ride 8 days after arriving, and did seem tired. Maybe that is what it was. I would love to see the sunrise up there. There is a great MUni ride down Haleakala as well, about 7,000’ vertical. It would be fun to 36er up and 29er MUni down the dirt.

And it’s legal? That would be considered; with a car drop off.:o

Once in the early 90’s(before I lost my other wheel) I hooked up with a maui guy and he guided me down the backside of Haleakala. It started legally at the very top on military property. We booked down that part without looking back(loose gravel the size of golf balls). At the end, we had to cut though private ranch land.

We coasted most of the 30-40 miles all the way to Makena Beach. It was quite awesome, but I never would attempt that again because of trespassing thing.

Kauai has some great muni trials

Mike, I love hearing about your awesome touring adventures! Bravo for conquering that Maui goodness! I know exactly where you started in Pa’ai… such a cool area. Actually, I made a trials movie next to the beach there, some of which is at Baldwin Park. http://unicyclejester.com/videos/paia_maui.mov

Carl: A Hawaiian Uni Tour sounds pretty fantastic… :slight_smile:

-Jess

Oh, I’d be down for a Hawaiian Uni Tour. The HUT!
corbin