Meteorological hypotheses

Science advances by means of observation, consideration, formulation of hypotheses, and experimentation to test and refine those hypotheses.

Following stages 1, 2, and 3, over recent days, I now invite the unicyclist community to experiment and report on their findings on the following hypotheses, which are not mutually exclusive:

1. The severity of sudden adverse weather is proportional to the amount of flexi time booked off work in anticipation that the morning’s good weather will continue throughout the afternoon.

2. The severity of sudden adverse weather is directly proportional to the distance travelled to the start of the ride.

3. The severity of sudden adverse weather is directly proportional to the square of the distance from the unicyclist to the car (or other dry place).

Meteorological hypotheses

Your observation of (said) weather has ipso facto altered (said) weather.

I have always found it preferable to adopt an attitude of acceptance and humility toward the powers of Nature, thereby eliminating undue stress and even producing a wonderful and wondrous sense of enjoyment; nay, ecstasy! at the sheer serendipity of the vagaries of the Meteorological Gods!

Or, on the other hand, you could just stay inside and watch tennis on TV.

Besides, I fear your hypotheses border on the superstitious…

Try swinging a dead (mammal of your choice) around your head in an anti-clockwise rotation at half past midnight when the moon is just past its last quarter, but only if the mandrake root in your pocket has not screamed in the past three days, unless today is Friday, in which case, you should go to a sheltered place and hold your head between your knees. while reciting the multiplication tables up to 13…

Good luck!

Don’t forget to knock on wood!

Camomile tea is a semi-dependable cure for insomnia.