Making your own studded tires

I just started making my own tire for winter MUniing. I bought a really cheap 2" wide tire for both, my 20" and 24" unis, four inner tubes and a two boxes of screws. The screws are 4,2 mm thick, 13 mm long and their base is 11 mm wide. That definitely helps, because they won’t put too much pressure on the tube. They come between 3-6 mm out of the tire, depending on the place. If my plans go well I’ll soon have a 24" tire with 244 screws on it. Is this too much? 20" tire has the same pattern and I’ll use 222 srews on it.

Gazza works well on snow but even a little amount of ice under the snow will result to a landing on my face, or tailbone. I think that the 2" wide tire is pretty good for winter because it will also go through snow a little better than the 3" wide Gazza and the studs will get better grip on the layer of ice below the snow.

First I drill a 2,5 mm (seems to be the best size) hole on the tire where I want the screw. Then I just put the screw to it’s place. When I have all the screws in place I will rip one of the tubes and put it inside the tire to prevent the screws ripping the tube which holds air inside.

I hope this will make unicycling during winter a bit easier. It should give an insane grip even on glare ice. I probably won’t be using the 20" tire too much, because I hope that I can go unicycling indoors too. I know of a place near me where I probably can go.

I studded one of my bike tires this way a few years ago. It made a huge difference in riding icy streets. The one problem I had at first was leaving too much screw sticking out of the tire. This would cause the screws to fold over. I trimmed them up with a cuttign disc so that only a little bit was sticking out and this worked great. Even after the points rounded off, it still worked great.

I planned on studding my 26 inch muni tire for this winter but I’m selling to a friend. I may just buy a studded tire for my 29er, though they don’t make 29er sized studded tires, only 700x35 and 700x44 I think. The skinnier tire may cut throught the snow better anyway.

I’ve been thinking that the round button tread on the Coker tire would be perfect for studding, but I haven’t decided if I want to put screws in it.

happing riding… Mojoe

Anyone have any experience with Nokian’s “FREDDIE’S REVENZ 336?”

I’m not going to ride much on street. Sidewalks are covered in snow and ice and usually the layer on top is quite soft so I don’t have to worry too much about folding. I’ll probably just ride on some trails and stuff like that.

Don’t buy a new studded tire. Making one is a lot funnier.

hey Joona

You have any pictures of the beastly tyre?

Joe,

Re: Making your own studded tires

Don’t expect foolproof traction, though. See this thread for our experiences last winter on an icy pond with a 20 mph wind. Note that I did trim the studs to a more acceptable length before the pond riding. It was tough but a lot of fun!

With the price of this tire ($195USD), I doubt you'll find many who have used it.

Yowzah!!! :astonished:

I don’t have any personal experience, but some bikers I know really like it. Most say that it’s the best tire you can get from a shop. It doesn’t roll as well as some tires with less studs, but it’s not an issue with uni if you don’t ride longer distances. It is meant for downhill racing and it is probably almost as good as a tire with screws.

Not yet. I’ve got about half of the screws in place right now. I’ll try to borrow a digital camera from a friend next week. I can’t get good pics right now because all of the snow has melted.

I’ve lived long for long enough here with a lot of snow and ice during every winter, so I know that nothing will give you grip so good you wouldn’t have to worry about slipping. It seems that my tire has about the same length scews as your trimmed down version, but there’s more of them. This probably won’t help too much, but still it gives a little more grip.

They cost “only” 110€ (127$) here, but they are still about the most expensive tire available.

It’s ready now. Took about 3 and 1/2 hours to finish it. Looks scary and is really heavy (steel screws). This is something I won’t be practicing seat-out skills with. It would rip my knees. Now I just have to wait for more snow and ice so I can test it. I can’t wait to hear what people say about that killer tire.

Tom Miller, from Colorado, formerly from Rochester, Minnesota, had one on his Profile unicycle. I rode some trails with him in Rochester a couple years ago and the tire was great. I believe it actually says, “Avoid Ass Munch”, or something like that, on the sidewall. He worked at a bike shop so he got the tire at cost or less I’m sure.

cheers… Mojoe

Congratulations Joona. I had cuts on my hands from putting mine together. Be careful of the clothing you wear (leg armor is great stuff) because the tire will shred light clothing. It’s definitely worse than the worst shin-ripping pedal.

For some reason I didn’t rip my fingers or clothes. I drilled the holes first, then put the tire horizontally on my lap, then on the “left”, by left I mean left hand side, side I put one screw at a time in a hole and tightened it.