Making and Finding "Uni Buddies"

By starting this thread off with “Making” you’re not actually desperate enough to have started sewing together large pieces of skin, are you?

Have you considered adopting Julia and Erick? :astonished:

Then they could live at your house and you could all unicycle together whenever you choose. :roll_eyes:

Scott

“It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again.
Yes, it will, Precious, won’t it? It will get the hose!”

Just name the date/time and I’d love to meet up at Raccoon Mountain; one of my favorite areas to ride around the South East. I might be able to get another friend I have from Decatur, GA to join us as well. For a little taste of Raccoon Mountain check out a video of me riding there with my friend Hitarock:

PM me.

Perfect! I’ll get the paperwork started. Erick will have fun sharing a room with a 2-year-old little boy who isn’t potty trained yet :smiley:

I´m trying to convince any friend to buy a uni and start riding with me haha . for now nothing , My friends are shy to do it , I’m not there to shame haha, I go to the school with my uni , and put it on the bicycle park :smiley:

Bump. Ok, so Hitarock and me (possibly his friend as well) are tentatively planning to meet and ride at Raccoon Mountain on December 30th… PM me if interested.

Sorry, just saw your bump. I’d like to meet for Dec 30th, but we’ll be in VT skiing. How about later in January assuming it’s warm enough?

I rode last night with “Larry”, it was a “floatastic” time :slight_smile:

Riding partners

I (with the help of my beautiful wife) have already “Made” two future riders. My daughter is 7 and my son is 5. She can ride her 16" wheel half way down the driveway unassisted but he still won’t let go of my hand. I am taking the advice of the wise men and women in this forum and trying really hard not to force it on them (locking the bkes in the shed) to the point it is no fun but I am very determined (spent over 100 hours this summer walking them up and down the court) to get them hooked before they grow up and start hanging out with their friends instead of silly old dad. They are after all my only hope. I have never so much as seen another unicyclist in Louisville Kentucky. I give up. Thank goodness for dual hole cranks on my 36" Impulse. Keep them long to go slow while my wife runs them make them short to try and keep up with my brother-in-law on his bke (he is the reason I am saving up for a KH36 Schlumpf death machine). I will be in the 55+ club before my kids are grown and off to college so traveling is pretty much out of the question. If it’s not basketball or Girl Scouts, it’s something else. Till then, I will be going it alone.

+1 – mine are three boys 9, 11, and 12. So far only the middle one has really taken to it. The others are learning and both are really close to getting it. If they’d just decide to finish learning and put in some effort, it would probably only take a couple days. However, I’m also doing my best not to push them too hard.

One problem with kids, at least mine, is that they don’t seem to care about avoiding injuries. I lost my riding partner this fall after he broke his elbow just from running and falling on hard ground. We budget for ER visits in our household.

Hey David, there’s nothing wrong with locking the bikes in the shed, of course they may just say no to unis and play more video games :astonished:

My son and I started riding at the same time, June 2008, this was after a buddy shoed up with a muni and my son got all interested. I’m pretty sure I never would have gotten into muni if it weren’t for my son’s interest.

Of course now he’s in high school and has other interests, so getting him out to ride is like pulling teeth. Funny thing is that even if he doesn’t ride for a month, he still kills it! Meanwhile, the old man just plods along :wink:

My daughter learned to ride just enough to say she could, then never did again. My wife has tried and failed numerous times, probably will try again but not on pavement :roll_eyes:

As for me, I ride so much now that muni is without doubt my number one sport, telemark number two, trail running number three. Funny how things change, not too long ago there was some mountain biking in my repetoire :smiley:

I’ll try to get up to KY this next summer, maybe on teh way to ride with the PA folks or something like that. Not sure about riding 36ers, mine is mostly for days when it’s to wet to muni, but if I bring an extra muni, how about we head for the trails?

all I want for Christmas is a 2nd wheel

That ain’t happening. My wife is a runner. She feels safer in the park when I am behind her. Then we tear up the sidewalks for 8 miles or so. My challenge is drawing the reigns to hold back my 36" Impulse to a 6mph pace. Like I say, the long cranks (pedals in the 165 hole not 137) help slow me down not to mention stability bouncing about on sidewalks 2 inch drops where my 125-110’s provide that “Oh my God, I am going to UPD” feeling.

[QUOTE=Nurse Ben;1415444if I bring an extra muni, how about we head for the trails?[/QUOTE]

Hopefully by then, Josh will have his prototype 26" disc brake (steel not aluminum hub) Large Marge & Larry Oregon (not sure about that name but you know that green and yellow beast of which I speak) at UDC. I made my wife read this thread on her iPad to see why I need a second wheel because just as soon as my kids are tall enough to ride my Impulse I am KH36" Schlumph bound! Still, every man needs a MUni. I wonder how that big ol fat tire would handle the sidewalks on our runs. Also, I really need something to ride in the snow.

This may not be helpful, but it is relevant and may give you some hope :slight_smile:

When I moved to San Marcos last year, I hadn’t ridden a uni since I was ten. But one of the first things I was told about was the Unicycle Football League in town. I went to the next game, and the first people that I got to know in the town were the other 45 or so unicyclists in the league. It is a unique experience, but if it weren’t for the league, I wonder if I ever would have bought a unicycle again. For the past six months it’s been my life.

Good luck to you, especially you muni riders.

well i made a new uni buddy nurseben and his sun

Tis true, my 14yo son (Alex) and I met up with Wes for a muni ride at Concord Park, a local single/double track area.

We had a good ride, just less that two hours, I think the boys were pretty well tuckered, might need to make this a regular thing so they can get in shape :wink:

This was Wes’s first time riding with another unicyclist!

More, more, we need more group rides!!

Happy Holidays :slight_smile:

I had beyond a great time! And ordering a 24x3 duro this January

Josh Hartman (aka “Headcamguy”) created a meetup.com group for unicyclists in NC back in August and it has been a huge success. I had just about given up hope of finding people to ride with, but more and more street and muni riders are coming out of the woodwork everyday it seems. We just had a street ride today on UNC campus with 6 people age 11 to 50+ from beginner to expert riders. A guy even showed up who was in town visiting his family from another state thanks to meetup site.

There are a few other unicycle meetup sites around the country (see http://unicycle.meetup.com/) and it’s free to start one. It would be great if
we could get some more throughout the country.

Not Riding Alone

When I first started riding it was all by myself. However I have been blessed by friends learning to ride and by other unicyclists becoming my friends and riding with me. I have started weekly Friday morning MUni rides. (In Israel Friday and Saturday are the Weekend.) We have been riding every Friday morning for over 3 years now. It has been posted on various forums and anyone who gets into Unicycling wiill eventually find out about them. Also about a year ago we have started a Tuesday evening Trials/skillsbuilding/teaching meet every week in an urban setting at the same place. These meets are not formal, we don’t have a club but maintaining the schedule kind of makes it easy for people to plan to ride with us.

Unicorn