Make normal links

All the webdiscuss web site are these
not search engine compatible links like

http://www.webdiscuss.com/links/index.php?PHPSESSID=2c046f69ac1fcbbadbcf5163
724abb0d

Why such an effort to bother search
engine spiders?

Why such an effort, that nobody has
a benefit which puts himself in the
member link list?


Roland Mösl
http://pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://BeingFound.com Web Design starts at the search engine

Re: Make normal links

we already went over this roland. They are search engine compatible. It does
help your ranking in google.

It’s not a requirement. If you think it will HURT you by adding your link
there, please do not add it.

I am of the impression that another link to your site out there on the web
is a good thing. Especially if the “site out there on the web” is listed in
Yahoo.
http://www.webdiscuss.com/links :slight_smile:


Rodney Blackwell - site owner/administrator

http://T-ShirtCountdown.com http://TalkT-Shirts.com/
http://ihateclowns.com/ http://Globie.com/
http://DomainJunkies.com/ http://reservoirfrogs.tk
http://GotPaintball.com/ http://CircleRPrinting.com

“Roland Mösl” <founder@pege.org> wrote in message
news:a7in25$cqj$1@www.t-shirtcountdown.com
> All the webdiscuss web site are these
> not search engine compatible links like
>
>
http://www.webdiscuss.com/links/index.php?PHPSESSID=2c046f69ac1fcbbadbcf5163
> 724abb0d
>
> Why such an effort to bother search
> engine spiders?
>
> Why such an effort, that nobody has
> a benefit which puts himself in the
> member link list?
>
>
> –
> Roland Mösl
> http://pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
> http://BeingFound.com Web Design starts at the search engine
>

Re: Make normal links

“Rodney Blackwell” <rodney@webdiscuss.com> wrote in message
news:a7ipjh$h2f$1@www.t-shirtcountdown.com
> we already went over this roland. They are search engine compatible. It
does
> help your ranking in google.

No.

Google will not know, that

out.php?PHPSESSID=eda5ecc89f8a89cd7356d97774921235&amp

is www.ihateclowns.com

I checked it at several links with redirect


Roland Mösl
http://pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://BeingFound.com Web Design starts at the search engine

Re: Make normal links

Roland M=F6sl wrote:
> “Rodney Blackwell” <rodney@webdiscuss.com> wrote in message
> news:a7ipjh$h2f$1@www.t-shirtcountdown.com
>=20
>>we already went over this roland. They are search engine compatible. It=

>=20
> does
>=20
>>help your ranking in google.
>=20
>=20
> No.
>=20
> Google will not know, that

Google is smart, even it knows you are bad at web design:=20

  • Gilby

Re: Make normal links

well, I would say you are wrong. I have checked it several times also.


Rodney Blackwell - site owner/administrator

http://T-ShirtCountdown.com http://TalkT-Shirts.com/
http://ihateclowns.com/ http://Globie.com/
http://DomainJunkies.com/ http://reservoirfrogs.tk
http://GotPaintball.com/ http://CircleRPrinting.com

“Roland Mösl” <founder@pege.org> wrote in message
news:a7iqc5$i3k$1@www.t-shirtcountdown.com
> “Rodney Blackwell” <rodney@webdiscuss.com> wrote in message
> news:a7ipjh$h2f$1@www.t-shirtcountdown.com
> > we already went over this roland. They are search engine compatible. It
> does
> > help your ranking in google.
>
> No.
>
> Google will not know, that
>
> out.php?PHPSESSID=eda5ecc89f8a89cd7356d97774921235&amp
>
> is www.ihateclowns.com
>
> I checked it at several links with redirect
>
> –
> Roland Mösl
> http://pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
> http://BeingFound.com Web Design starts at the search engine
>
>

Re: Make normal links

“Gilby” <mail@gilby.com> wrote in message news:3C9CEDAF.3030606@gilby.com
>Google is smart, even it knows you are bad at web design:
>http://www.google.com/search?q=bad+web+design+oppinions

No, this is a page about oppinions about bad web design


Roland Mösl
http://pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://BeingFound.com Web Design starts at the search engine

Re: Make normal links

“Rodney Blackwell” <rodney@webdiscuss.com> wrote
> we already went over this roland. They are search engine compatible. It
does
> help your ranking in google.

Does the google spider actually follow the links to find out what they link
to?

For something like yahoo, the real URL is still included in Yahoo’s redirect
link, e.g.
http://srd.yahoo.com/goo/webdiscuss.com/1/T=1016918729/F=b4e0989fa1bf618babd
fa339e3f6ac0b/*http://www.webdiscuss.com/

I would assume that the google spider just recognizes that this is a link to
webdiscuss.com and doesn’t actually hit srd.yahoo.com to follow the link.

Spiders do tend not to visit many other type of links to dynamic pages. Do
you see the google spider requesting redirect URLs? (like
http://www.webdiscuss.com/links/out.php?PHPSESSID=f88da297e48569f2b89fe949fd
35e2d6&ID=1 )

Re: Make normal links

yes, I see quite a few top sites links, referral links from cj.com listed in
google.


Rodney Blackwell - site owner/administrator

http://T-ShirtCountdown.com http://TalkT-Shirts.com/
http://ihateclowns.com/ http://Globie.com/
http://DomainJunkies.com/ http://reservoirfrogs.tk
http://GotPaintball.com/ http://CircleRPrinting.com

“Winston” <wd@winston.org> wrote in message
news:a7iso3$v0u$1@www.t-shirtcountdown.com
> “Rodney Blackwell” <rodney@webdiscuss.com> wrote
> > we already went over this roland. They are search engine compatible. It
> does
> > help your ranking in google.
>
> Does the google spider actually follow the links to find out what they
link
> to?
>
> For something like yahoo, the real URL is still included in Yahoo’s
redirect
> link, e.g.
>
http://srd.yahoo.com/goo/webdiscuss.com/1/T=1016918729/F=b4e0989fa1bf618babd
> fa339e3f6ac0b/*http://www.webdiscuss.com/
>
> I would assume that the google spider just recognizes that this is a link
to
> webdiscuss.com and doesn’t actually hit srd.yahoo.com to follow the link.
>
> Spiders do tend not to visit many other type of links to dynamic pages. Do
> you see the google spider requesting redirect URLs? (like
>
http://www.webdiscuss.com/links/out.php?PHPSESSID=f88da297e48569f2b89fe949fd
> 35e2d6&ID=1 )
>
>

Re: Make normal links

“Rodney Blackwell” <rodney@webdiscuss.com> wrote
> yes, I see quite a few top sites links, referral links from cj.com listed
in
> google.

Yes. I realize that.

I am assuming, however, that google may make exceptions for sites like
cj.com or yahoo that may not be made for webdiscuss.

That’s why I asked you whether you see (e.g. in your web server logs) that
google’s spider actually requests the redirect URLs such as
http://www.webdiscuss.com/links/out.php?PHPSESSID=f88da297e48569f2b89fe949fd
35e2d6&ID=1

Re: Make normal links

oh, I haven’t checked. I doubt google has been by since I put up the links
page since our description for the main site hasn’t changed.


Rodney Blackwell - site owner/administrator

http://T-ShirtCountdown.com http://TalkT-Shirts.com/
http://ihateclowns.com/ http://Globie.com/
http://DomainJunkies.com/ http://reservoirfrogs.tk
http://GotPaintball.com/ http://CircleRPrinting.com

“Winston” <wd@winston.org> wrote in message
news:a7j14r$lo1$1@www.t-shirtcountdown.com
> “Rodney Blackwell” <rodney@webdiscuss.com> wrote
> > yes, I see quite a few top sites links, referral links from cj.com
listed
> in
> > google.
>
> Yes. I realize that.
>
> I am assuming, however, that google may make exceptions for sites like
> cj.com or yahoo that may not be made for webdiscuss.
>
> That’s why I asked you whether you see (e.g. in your web server logs) that
> google’s spider actually requests the redirect URLs such as
>
http://www.webdiscuss.com/links/out.php?PHPSESSID=f88da297e48569f2b89fe949fd
> 35e2d6&ID=1
>
>
>

Re: Make normal links

“Rodney Blackwell” <rodney@webdiscuss.com> wrote
> oh, I haven’t checked. I doubt google has been by since I put up the links
> page since our description for the main site hasn’t changed.

Well, if you ever do see it, that’s another point against Roland’s position

Re: Make normal links

On Saturday 23 March 2002 05:49 pm, Winston wrote:

> That’s why I asked you whether you see (e.g. in your web server logs) that
> google’s spider actually requests the redirect URLs such as
>
http://www.webdiscuss.com/links/out.php?PHPSESSID=f88da297e48569f2b89fe949fd
> 35e2d6&ID=1

Google will follow ? links,

will show many pages that for all practical purposes have to be spidered
(I don’t see many people hand submitting BB threads or using a scripted
doorway page)

I don’t know about following the redirect. If you do a search for
jump.cgi? (from gossamer-threads links) you don’t see anything that looks
like it’s following a redirect. Might be best to find a page that uses a
redirect to your site then doing a link search in google and see if it
shows up.

When I did the links script for frugalcrafts.com I used a redirect because
on hotrodding.net I found that I got better results from the SE’s by having
<a href=“http://www.hotrodding.net/cgi-bin/jump.cgi?ID=22”>key word
keyword</a>. in other words the linked keywords pointed to my domain giving
me a boost. When I took out the redirect the SE traffic suffered.

Now I have a question, why is your links script setting the PHPSESSID
automaticly? it should set a cookie instead and not add the PHPSESSID
unless cookies are turned off in the browser. Come to think of it, why do
you need to use it at all?

John R. Marshall - Web Developer

JRM Studios - http://www.jrmstudios.com
The Hotrodding Network - http://www.hotrodding.net

Re: Make normal links

I don’t make the scripts, I just install 'em :slight_smile:

if you have a better one that you’d like to install, you are more than
welcome…that was just the best I could find when I was putting the site
together. I’m sure there must be a way to edit it to turn the sessionID
off… I’m not sure of the benefits either way…


Rodney Blackwell - site owner/administrator

http://T-ShirtCountdown.com http://TalkT-Shirts.com/
http://ihateclowns.com/ http://Globie.com/
http://DomainJunkies.com/ http://reservoirfrogs.tk
http://GotPaintball.com/ http://CircleRPrinting.com

“John R. Marshall” <john@jrmstudios.com> wrote in message
news:a7j2o6$m1h$1@www.darklock.com
> On Saturday 23 March 2002 05:49 pm, Winston wrote:
>
> > That’s why I asked you whether you see (e.g. in your web server logs)
that
> > google’s spider actually requests the redirect URLs such as
> >
>
http://www.webdiscuss.com/links/out.php?PHPSESSID=f88da297e48569f2b89fe949fd
> > 35e2d6&ID=1
>
> Google will follow ? links,
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=viewtopic.php%3F
>
> will show many pages that for all practical purposes have to be spidered
> (I don’t see many people hand submitting BB threads or using a scripted
> doorway page)
>
> I don’t know about following the redirect. If you do a search for
> jump.cgi? (from gossamer-threads links) you don’t see anything that looks
> like it’s following a redirect. Might be best to find a page that uses a
> redirect to your site then doing a link search in google and see if it
> shows up.
>
> When I did the links script for frugalcrafts.com I used a redirect because
> on hotrodding.net I found that I got better results from the SE’s by
having
> <a href=“http://www.hotrodding.net/cgi-bin/jump.cgi?ID=22”>key word
> keyword</a>. in other words the linked keywords pointed to my domain
giving
> me a boost. When I took out the redirect the SE traffic suffered.
>
>
> Now I have a question, why is your links script setting the PHPSESSID
> automaticly? it should set a cookie instead and not add the PHPSESSID
> unless cookies are turned off in the browser. Come to think of it, why do
> you need to use it at all?
> –
> John R. Marshall - Web Developer
>
> JRM Studios - http://www.jrmstudios.com
> The Hotrodding Network - http://www.hotrodding.net

Re: Make normal links

“Gilby” <mail@gilby.com> wrote in message news:3C9CEDAF.3030606@gilby.com
> Google will not know, that

Google is smart, even it knows you are bad at web design:

That’s a classic!


Leonid S. Knyshov, CEO
Crashproof Solutions, LLC
Your Technology Business Partner

Re: Make normal links

“Leonid S. Knyshov at home” <lknyshov@pctips.com> wrote in message
news:a7j8kv$1qq$1@www.t-shirtcountdown.com
> “Gilby” <mail@gilby.com> wrote in message
news:3C9CEDAF.3030606@gilby.com
> > Google will not know, that
>
> Google is smart, even it knows you are bad at web design:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=bad+web+design+oppinions
>
>
> That’s a classic!

Know a better one.

One of my hosting clients gave up after he discovered

“It is better to do nothing”

in his nearly empty referer log file


Roland Mösl
http://pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://BeingFound.com Web Design starts at the search engine

Re: Make normal links

“Winston” <wd@winston.org> wrote in message
news:a7iso3$v0u$1@www.t-shirtcountdown.com
> “Rodney Blackwell” <rodney@webdiscuss.com> wrote
> > we already went over this roland. They are search engine compatible. It
> does
> > help your ranking in google.
>
> Does the google spider actually follow the links to find out what they
link
> to?

Even when he follows, the anchor text of the link gets lost.

Just tested this.

Normal, the linked page is to find with the anchor text of the link.
But not with a redirected link


Roland Mösl
http://pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://BeingFound.com Web Design starts at the search engine

Re: Make normal links

The script uses the PHPSESSID variable to store in a database. Associated
with this session variable is things such as: Your user name, password, when
you last opened a page, threads you’ve seen (and at what time), etc. If he
is using vBulletin, the cookie is generated with a same PHP Session value
and still stored into the database. The reason that with cookies the
session isn’t appended to the URL is because the script reads the cookie and
skips the session-in-url decode phase.

hth
-Sean

“John R. Marshall” <john@jrmstudios.com> wrote in message
news:a7j2o6$m1h$1@www.darklock.com
> Now I have a question, why is your links script setting the PHPSESSID
> automaticly? it should set a cookie instead and not add the PHPSESSID
> unless cookies are turned off in the browser. Come to think of it, why do
> you need to use it at all?

Re: Make normal links

“Sean S.” <no@email.here> wrote in message
news:a7kap2$128$1@www.darklock.com
> The script uses the PHPSESSID variable to store in a database. Associated
> with this session variable is things such as: Your user name, password,
when
> you last opened a page, threads you’ve seen (and at what time), etc. If
he
> is using vBulletin, the cookie is generated with a same PHP Session value
> and still stored into the database. The reason that with cookies the
> session isn’t appended to the URL is because the script reads the cookie
and
> skips the session-in-url decode phase.

And why does he not use cookies?


Roland Mösl
http://pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://BeingFound.com Web Design starts at the search engine

Re: Make normal links

Some users disable cookies and some browsers do not support cookies.

The author of vBulletin was thinking of these situations when he or she (or,
in this case, “they”) designed the forum.

-Sean

“Roland Mösl” <founder@pege.org> wrote in message
news:a7kblc$k29$1@www.t-shirtcountdown.com
> “Sean S.” <no@email.here> wrote in message
> news:a7kap2$128$1@www.darklock.com
> > The script uses the PHPSESSID variable to store in a database.
Associated
> > with this session variable is things such as: Your user name, password,
> when
> > you last opened a page, threads you’ve seen (and at what time), etc. If
> he
> > is using vBulletin, the cookie is generated with a same PHP Session
value
> > and still stored into the database. The reason that with cookies the
> > session isn’t appended to the URL is because the script reads the cookie
> and
> > skips the session-in-url decode phase.
>
> And why does he not use cookies?

Re: Make normal links

“Sean S.” <no@email.here> wrote in message
news:a7km93$d4c$1@www.darklock.com
> Some users disable cookies and some browsers do not support cookies.
>
> The author of vBulletin was thinking of these situations when he or she
(or,
> in this case, “they”) designed the forum.

You wrote

The reason that with cookies the
session isn’t appended to the URL is because the script reads the cookie and
skips the session-in-url decode phase.

But I accept all cookies, so there should be no session id,
but there is always this session id


Roland Mösl
http://pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://BeingFound.com Web Design starts at the search engine