Major tire problems

I think people usually use heavier tubes for the 36. Anything that works okay on a 36 should be okay on a 29 surely, cos the 36 is 36x2.something isn’t it?

Joe

I use a 26 x 3 tube in my 29er. It’s a more readily available size (DH mountain bikes use them, and so do balloon-tire cruisers), and is usually cheaper, too. Others in 36er threads have given the advice that pumping up a smaller-than-the-tire-size tube and leaving it inflated overnight will stretch it and make it easier to install, so you might try that.

It’s a good tip for just getting riding, but it really might be worth your while trying a lightweight tube. 150g taken off the wheel is noticeable, and the Schwalbe tube mentioned above is a relatively cheap and painless way to lose some wheel weight.

Joe

Haha, now it’s an 11 year old uni ^.^

Thanks to all for the advice on tube selection. As it turned out, our nearest bike shop was pretty helpful. After looking at the 700 x 44(max) w/shrader stem and deciding it was way undersize, they found a 29 x 1.9-2.35 Bontrager tube w/presta stem and rim adapter which fit beautifully. It’s a “thorn proof” design, rather thick and heavy, but fine for my needs.