Magura Mounting on Triton Triple Frame - 29er Alignment Issue

Hello all :wave:

I’ve moved my 29” wheel to my Triton Triple frame which she 3 sets of Magura Mounts - they were fine for the 24” wheel but for this KH 47mm rim they do not touch.

I’ve pushed them inwards as far as I can and I think it is a case of worn pads.

Wondering if people used some kind of side to side hack or device to set them inwards more - or pad up the brake pads some more. Only needs about 2mm each side.

It’s just odd given the frame is clearly designed to taken them and I’ve searched and seen photos of them mounted with no issues.

Am I missing something?

Hmm, yes pads looks like they might need replacement. Here is a picture of my almost unused HS11s.

I don’t have much experience with them to be honest (they are just lying unused in a box), but I believe you can also “pad adjust” on the lever so you move the brake pads a bit closer to the rim by default. Seems like that might do the trick (and/or in combination with new brake pads).

Or you might need some “offset” Magura rim mounts. I know they are made to enable use of wider rims but I guess they would work fine for the opposite… (I have no experience with those mounts, I just know they exist)

Available here

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the very helpful reply. Those mount look really nice and useful.

Happily I managed to get the frame working with a back up set of HS11s which seem to be properly bled set.

My HS33s either need a better bleed - I did the last one and thought they were fine, but perhaps not - or HS33s don’t push out as much as the HS11s.

The long and the short of it I’ve kind of fixed it and reassured myself the frame does take Maguras correctly.

But I’ll probably have to tinker tomorrow with a rebleed. Not to mention the simple fact I want my red crossover tube on the Triton.

Once again, thanks for your help - much appreciated and very useful info for the future as I like a food Magura!!

:pray:

That’s the case indeed. HS33 have a smaller master cylinder. In that way with the same manual force you can generate more braking power. The longer travel of the lever is probably not a big issue because you have the little wheel with which you can compensate the brake pad wear.
BTW, I wouldn’t say your pads are worn, actually I find they look pretty much unused. They are worn if the channels in the pads are not visible anymore.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s all really helpful information to know :pray:

So I’m back to my Triton frame and a new 29” Dominator2 wheel - and this is a wheel I built myself. My first.

I’ve always wanted to try my hand and building so I decided this would be a cheap project to get my Triton in service as a 29er.

I knew the rim would be 42mm verses the previously used 47mm KH rim so decided to get some Tensile Offset mounts to place my HS11s closer in.

My luck here must be really bad or I just like a complex life… but they still come up to just touching the rim.

I know the rim isn’t machined for braking but I’ve been advised this shouldn’t really matter.

The issue now is that the off set mounts appear to have a corner that the body of the brakes come up against and this means I can’t go inward towards the rim any further.

Anyone know if it could work to file off a slanted piece from the corner in the red square? I know I risk making the mount weaker but without the space I’m not going to get them closer. Or perhaps I could shim up the space where the brake pads go?!?

I really want to use this frame as nature intended - with Maguras as I don’t think a dbrake mount and spirits + disc would easily work.

Any ideas gratefully received :pray:

1 Like

Solved my own post. A small notch cut out of the corner did the trick and it still feels like a solid clamping system.

Perhaps a wee bit weaker but it shouldn’t matter for the demands of a uni drag brake.

We have grip!

1 Like

The Dominator 2 has a braking surface built in. It’s that little ridge towards the outer edge. It may not be machined, but it’s still a braking surface intended for rim brake usage. Over time(probably quickly) it should turn silver as you wear off the black paint or whatever finish that layer is.

1 Like