Mad4One Handle Saddle rear bumper - ideas required please

I’ve just received my Mad4One large handle saddle and I’m very impressed with it. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet as I’m still waiting on a frame to arrive from Unicycle.com. It doesn’t come with a plastic rear bumper however which I’m a bit disappointed about. From looking at my other unis I can see that I do regularly use the rear bumper when a UPD happens. Has anyone come up with a solution for this and fitted their own bumper? I don’t want to wreck the lovely leather saddle.

1 Like

I also ride the M4O Handle Saddle (medium). My experience is that gravity (and my general riding position) results in that its the front (the bar) that takes the beating. It very rarely hits hard on the rear of the saddle (maybe also because I very rarely UPD at the back). I just ride it and will replace the leather some day when it wears out (M4O sells replacements but for the front you could use bar tape for bikes, hockey tape or whatever you prefer). If you want to add an extra layer of protection you could put a layer of gorilla tape (or similar) at the front and the back.

1 Like

The M41 bumper and handle wrap do pretty well for muni riding. In those conditions the saddle or handle is usually hitting dirt or foliage. They also do OK for road riding where falls are only occasional. For street/urban riding they can get more damage. I’ve had a few handle saddles and although I ride them hard, my muni saddles are doing fine. My 36er also is mostly intact. The saddle on my trials uni however is showing some wear. The amount of wear on them really wouldn’t be a major concern to me however. They still should last a reasonably long time for the money and for me the ergonomics would be the major factor.

1 Like