Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade

No! We Don’t get NBC!

Think it will be on MSNBC, or CNBC also?

Members of the the Gym Dandies Children’s Circus, seen practicing in Scarborough, will be riding unicycles in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade this week, an event that will be watched by more than 50 million people on national television.
thatd be enough to make me nervous. good luck!

There is no coasting on one wheel.
what do they know!

I just saw them on T.V.! They didn’t show their routine, they just showed them approaching the performance area. They showed them when they were getting ready to go to a commercial, and they had “brought to you by” ads blocking part of the screen! :angry: The unicyclists were in rows and they were holding hands to form a chain. I did see one rider fall, and I wondered if they had a few people on foot to help fallen giraffe riders get back on. They were all on 5ft. giraffes!

Pretty cool to see!

Lucky me, I grew up across the street from the Planetarium. This means that one of the starting points of the parade is outside my mom’s apartment. It also means that as a kid, my lovely day-off from school was punctuated by tubas and xylophones (no joke) warming up outside my window at 6am. It should not be a surprise that I grew up HATING parades.

I visited my mom yesterday for a sleepover with my wife and kids so that the little ones could see the balloons being inflated last night and then see the start of the parade from a neat vantage point this morning. After driving everyone in yesterday, I Cokered to Brooklyn and back for some work. On my way back, I found myself on Columbus Ave in the 70s. Normally this is a charming nabe, but with streets cordoned off and with police everywhere, I had no way of walking, let alone uni’ing, so I hopped off and sardined along for a few blocks till I got past the balloon-watching tourists.

At this point, a man spotted the Coker and commented that his kid would be riding in the parade on a giraffe. I replied, “Oh, you guys must be from Maine,” and he was impressed that I had heard of their group. I mentioned this site and how the news had reached many unicyclists, since we’re a tight group. I also mentioned that I have a uni club and told him of our website (newyorkunicycle.com).

I had to ask: Where were all of those kids and their families staying? I couldn’t imagine that they’d find hotels, and the cost woulda been prohibitive. Sure enough, they were staying over in New Jersey!!! The poor kids had to be up at 4:30 this morning in time to sit around for hours in the cold, waiting for the parade to begin at 9am.

I missed seeing them ride down Central Park West, but I heard good things from the people I polled. And I’m really glad I got stuck in pedestrian traffic last night – it was fun connecting with that dad.

– David Stone

GAHH, I don’t get NBC…