Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! This really was a fun project. My best experience in UNiland, by far. Scott’s got a really great sense of humor that comes through in his emails. Everyone should have the experience of working with Scott. He always had an answer to every question, was thorough and always consulted me with every step. Knowing that images were coming through in emails, I often had my drool cup ready for the staring that always would follow.
The paint job is so nice, it’s almost like you don’t want to ride it. Tommy(TMornstar), knows that feeling - just ask him about his flame frame;). Scott, said it was wild, and it sure turned out to be, upon arrival, I called Scott and went outside while talking to him on the phone and held it up high to the sun, just to see how purty it was. I joked with Scott, that it was tempting to get out some bubble wrap and cover the sides of the blades just to save the paint.
I think it is important to remember that as we work our way through our hobby, we upgrade, which is half the fun. Over the last three years, I have done exactly that. Many of the parts on the Uber Muni were swapped off my old Muni. The net effect is that over time those upgraded parts are bought and when something like this happens, the increased cost isn’t as astounding as it might seem.
Items I swapped out.
CNC Bridgeman handle
Airseat assembly including CF base
KH seat bracket
Gazz with Tube
Magura HS 33Brakes
Thus the only things new were the Wheel, frame with
frame mods and paint. The paint was a custom color, so it was a bit more expensive than stock colors.
That being said, purchasing wheel with wheel labor, frame, mods with paint, came to less than $1200. The result was a finished muni for that amount. That’s much less than the Wilder without brakes that was sold by unicycle.com. I think Scott had worked harder on this project than he first estimated. He kept to his estimate, though, but has told me that more practice would refine the procedure and create a more accurate cost for his services.
In a quest to become an UberMUni, I plan on reducing weight by eventually having the seat post fixed at a specific angle, thereby eliminating the clamp at the top of the seat post and the KH bracket. My KH bracket weighs 7.8oz. Although, heavier, steel braided lines will replace my current plastic lines, when they become available.
In the pictures you have seen, Scott has one of his CF prototype handles mounted, this weighs a hair under the weight of a Miyata handle. I plan on swapping out my current handle, and going with a CF handle, as well.
I plan on logging hours in the saddle every time I ride, just to keep an accurate record. I will share updates as time goes on.
Ironically, I have not had time to ride it off road . At Joshua Tree National Monument a few weels ago, my brake line was pinched between a rock and the seat post in a fall, thereby opening a gash. I just got the brakes back on Wednesday, but had no sooner picked them up from the bikeshop, mounted them on the frame, and then had to leave to see KH in Santa Barbara. My only riding was a few turns in the parking lot before I headed North. Couldn’t really comment on how they worked in a flat parking lot. Broken car prevents me from going out Friday, so it looks like Saturday morning for a “Shake down” ride.