Lynn Hill joins KHU Ambassador Team

Hi,

Just thought I’d announce that Lynn Hill has agreed to join KHU’s Ambassador Team.

For those of you who don’t know who she is, Lynn is one of the most prolific and accomplished rock climbers in the world and is the best known female climber in history.

The purpose of the KHU Ambassador Team (as distinct from the Factory Team) is to support some of the world’s top athletes in other sports who want to learn ride a unicycle. For me it’s a cool opportunity to promote growth in our sport outside the traditional unicycling community through people who have made huge contributions to their respective sports.

Her bio is at http://www.krisholm.com/english/sponsor/team/lynnhill.htm

Kris

that’s really cool!

ps. do you check your email often?

I once climbed on El Cap next to her. It was amazing to watch her power and grace. She would be a really good Muni-er.

Re: Lynn Hill joins KHU Ambassador Team

Congratulations! Lynn will be a great ambassador.

That’s one great ambassador. During the late 80s and early 90s many considered “Little Lynnie” the greatest female athlete in the world. If she ever gets on a Muni for real, watch out.

JL

Kris, I think it’s great how you sponsor other athletes in addition to unicyclists, especially climbers.

I think at some point in my life I will have to climb in Yosemite, as all three of the climbers that you sponsor have set records on El Cap! Awesome…

It’s getting a wee bit cold here in Maine to climb at the local crags, but I’m going tomorrow regardless. Climb on.

So does she unicycle at all or is she going to learn anytime soon? If not you should convince her Kris!

Re: Lynn Hill joins KHU Ambassador Team

sugarloafur wrote:
> Kris, I think it’s great how you sponsor other athletes in addition to
> unicyclists, especially climbers.

After reading Kris’s post, I assumed that like largo, she had taken up
unicycling. From what I read she still climbs really hard. And from
the photos I see, she still looks great.

Her autobiography, Climbing Free is recommended reading. largo wrote
the forward.

> I think at some point in my life I will have to climb in Yosemite, as
> all three of the climbers that you sponsor have set records on El Cap!
> Awesome…
>
> It’s getting a wee bit cold here in Maine to climb at the local crags,
> but I’m going tomorrow regardless. Climb on.

Then I take it your name doesn’t come from climbing at Sugarloaf near
Lake Tahoe. Acadia looks spectacular.

The name Sugaloafur actually comes from a ski area in Maine, Sugarloaf… I had to look up the Sugarloaf near Lake Tahoe, and it looks beautiful! (it has now been added to my long list of places to go)

I might have to find a copy of Climbing Free now.

By the way, Acadia is spectacular. I’m going tomorrow to Otter Cliffs in Acadia, where some of the photos in my gallery were taken, and bringing a few friends who have never climbed before. It should be a treat, and I’ll be sure to get some photos up on my site if anything turns out decent.

If anyone’s interested, here’s a link to a Google Video of Dean Potter soloing El Cap. It’s amazing. As a side note, my boss knows Dean from college at UNH and said he was crazy then too… small world.

On a related topic, I was watching Warren Miller’s “Journey” last weekend (in prep for ski season) and noticed that one short clip was of some skiers rapping off the top of a pillar accessed by a tram (Aiguille du Midi, Chamonix, France). They zoomed in on the two bolt anchor and it has a sling through it, with what looked like an ADT! I couldn’t belive my eyes. At the same time they were talking about the vast experience of these skiers and their overall skills… I was a little stunned.

Sugarloafer–You really need to round up all those climbers and get them on a Muini. My efforts haven’t been very successful, mainly because the learning curve for grim Muni is basically at least two years to even approach expert status and at least another year to start in on the refinements. Climbers seem to want more immediate results–I did when I was climbing (300 days a year for ten years). But the climbing world is rife in typical suspects so once the word really gets out, who knows??

JL

it took me about 6 months to get up muni-ing!:stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve tried to get some involved, but it’s the initial cost of a good muni that will last that stops them dead in their tracks. However, I do have some friends who climb who also muni. In fact, I have two others that climb seriously and a couple more that climb when they can.

Very true about the need for more immediate results from climbers… I have a friend who sends V8ish who is also very good at unicycling. His name on here is ‘onewheelah’. I too look for those quick results in climbing, but rarely find what I’m looking for… I’ve only been climbing seriously since this spring, but since then I’ve acquired most of a complete rack and all the gear I need to climb climb climb! I don’t pay much attention to the ratings since they’re very much based on who rated the climb and vary widely between the crags and the style of climbing in this area (be wary of some of the 9+ routes out there…)

Anyway, I’m just out to have some fun… I couldn’t imagine climbing for 300 days a year for 10 years. This might be a hard subject right now, but did you know Todd Skinner at all? I can’t even begin to think about that accident and how tragic it is. All I hear and read is that he was an amazing guy who was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

As it happens Lynn was in town today, visiting her sister, and I had breakfast with her. She vows to learn how to Muni and is on it soon as she gets back to Colorado.

We’ll see what happens . . .

JL

ya acadia is insanly nice im thinking of organizing a munifest there next spring

Thanks I’m glad you think it’s a good idea. Lynn seems really into the potential of our sport and she’s such an amazing athlete that she will be very, very good if she spends time at it.

Although many climbers like most people are into instant gratification in sports, I think that, at least in relative terms, climbers have the closest attitude to unicyclists in that they also do something that’s pretty slow, is often very hard and frustrating, and often requires a lot of repetition before success. Plus seeing and cleaning a trials line is identical to seeing and sending a climbing line, in terms of the mental process.

Kris

I’ve never really thought about connecting the two that way, but it makes so much sense… It’s odd how many, including myself, have picked up both climbing and unicycling, which definitely speaks for the similar aspects of the two sports, which makes it not so odd at all! (except to the people watching…)