Lugano, lake Como

Work takes me to Lugano, Switzerland, for 6 to 7 weeks. So I want to take a unicycle with me as I can’t go for that long without riding.

Now the question: which one? Two choices: a 29" road/town oriented (handlebar, 125mm cranks) or a 24" Muni (brake, 137mm cranks).

Anyone here familiar with this part of the world? What am I more likely to enjoy there?
I’m not the best rider around btw, so no crazy DH nor riding in traffic at high speed please. :wink:

Take both!

Put an offroad tire on the 29 and take that if you can only take one.

This question feels like the exact thing I asked myself a few months ago, and why I ended up with a 26" oracle with a brake and then added a handlebar… and my dual-hole cranks show up tomorrow. Now if only I had a schlumpf hub… good luck on your trip, bring either one (or both if you can) and have fun! :sunglasses: If you can only bring one, I’d agree: get a more aggressive (maybe a 50/50?) tire on the 29" to open up some more possibilities.

Thanks guys!
Taking two is impossible as we’re traveling by train with a huge amount of equipment. Unfortunately time is not on my side as indeed taking the 29" and swapping the tire for an off-road one would have been the best option.
I checked online and there seems to be a fair amount of MTB trails. Also, a friend who went there several times told me most of the town is cobbs (spelling?) not tarmac. The 24" might be the best compromise then.
Will report for future visitors for sure.

I drove there a couple of times (by car), when I going to Switzerland or Italy; for example Brixen :slight_smile:
It’s not too far from the Saint Bernards pass. And it became one of my favorite places on this globe: you will find there large mountains and peacefulness.

Ciao!
You’ll happy with both of them!
You’ll find very interesting paved uphills and downhills!
And talking about Muni, you’ll find whatever you like!
Viva l’Italia!
Nic

Take your muni and give me a shout.

You’re leaving in Lugano? Nice!

Although I’ve never been to the exact area, I have been to Lago di Garda more times than I can count which is a few large mountain lakes east but the same north-south location on the south edge of the Alps (and awesome trail riding and DH).

I would say take the 24" for muni. I would expect there are awesome downhill trails there - probably mostly pretty steep and rocky (actually lots of loose rock). So 24 with 137s should be about perfect. But if DH is not your thing, then there’s probably gravel road climbs.

Although the road 29 would also be ok. Italian drivers are not overly friendly, but there are a fair number of cyclists, but riding the roads outside the towns is usually not so pleasant as there are usually cars buzzing by constantly. But you should probably be able to find paved bike paths to quite a few destinations and these can be really nice. And for cruising around town the 29 would be perfect.

I finished a bike tour at lake Maggiore with my wife at the end of last year (riding from Vienna through Slovenia and the Dolomites). We found the lakeside roads to be pretty congested and not the most comfortable places to be riding. If I had the choice i’d take the Muni and try to get some altitude on the dirt! All downhill from there.

Mark

get in touch with Sandy!

I’ve noticed.

I’m not a great dropper, just an observant guy. Seems that drops onto dead flat concrete or grass are much harder on the wheel than drops onto a very slight decline away from the launching surface, i.e. Going downward in the direction that the rider will go after the drop, the direction of his moment or momentum. I’ve noticed, for instance, that Terry Unigeezer will place a board, at an angle, to drop onto. This may help prevent gear damage. Others know better than me.

Thanks everyone!
I’m in Lugano now. Well actually, I’ve been here 10 days but it’s the first time I could get the uni out - unfortunately, I’m here for work, not vacation…
In the end, I went for the 24" as we took the train with lots of luggage. But it’ll be the best for my schedule and for the area. Having driven around a bit, I now know the 29" would have been terrible on the road, and we’re not in town, we’re in the suburbs.
My first ride was along the Olive trail, and whilst it was nice to be out riding, that was short and not the best with lots of stairs. But man what a scenery around me! It also showed me how I’m not fit at the moment - not that I ever was. But it made me want to ride more. I’ve spotted a lot of mountain bike trails (the swiss are very organized), I’m going to start with an easy one on sunday.
The muni event sounds awesome - even better, they welcome people from all skills levels. Unfortunately I’m working so I can’t take the entire week to follow them. I’m going to get in touch to see if I could join over the weekend.

And here’s what happened on this sunday! Got in touch with Sandy earlier and he told me to join the RI.UNI.TI group even just for a day. It was the last day and people were packing and getting ready for long drives - people from all over the world, that’s amazing!

Had a long chat with Sandy and he sent me to Leontica, vastly overestimating my skills and stamina! I guess that’s what you get when you turn up with a KH24 - yes, [post=2360460]I have the golfer syndrom[/post]!

So here I went!
Last time I was on a ski lift, I had… skis! And there was snow.

That’s pretty vertical, it never occurred to me how a snow-covered mountain feels less steep/intimidating!

Local farmers were busy sweeping the freshly cut grass with those blower-things. Only in Switzerland…

Then onto a second ski-lift. Flimsy seat after the bubble-like first one. It’s like going from a full face helmet to a baseball cap!

But… it’s got a special hook for unis! I guess bikes are allowed to use it…!

Alright, at the top. Don’t panic. And lower your saddle, this is not the usual walking trail along the lake!

First encounter with locals. Each had a bell. Wonder if they have wifi trackers too. The trail was pretty steep -for my taste- and very rocky. But I didn’t do as bad as I though I would! :sunglasses:

Made it to the bottom of the second ski-lift! Alive and in one piece! I then followed the “sentiero” sold by Sandy as a great “warm-up trail”. It was even harder than what I just did! Gosh, those DH riders are just not human!

Back to the car park, trusty van waiting for me with extra bananas and chocolate bars - the main diet of the day. So glad to find extra after the ride for sure.

All in all, a great experience. Sandy is a great person, the area is amazing, and I got out of my confort zone, big time! I guess that’s how you make progress!

Epic! Congratulations on the ride and thanks for posting the pics, pierrox. That’s really cool stuff.

Looks like the perfect club for that shot. :slight_smile:

Pierre,

Wonderful pics! Great ride!

Thank you!