Lopsided airseat

Seeing as there are so many airseat questions I thought I’d fiddle around with something that has been bugging me for ages…

I’m using a miyata saddle with Roach cover and airpillow. The only way I can get the 20inch inner tube to sit on the airpillow in a stable position is folding the tube in half and inserting into the ends of the airpillow which is folded in half and flat on the seat (sandwhiched between the folded tube). The resulting bend in the tube to one side means- well, a lopsided seat. I’ve tried diff set ups but they never seem to retain their shape. It doesn’t seem to affect the comfort or performance of the seat in any way, but just looks silly. Am I doing it all wrong?

Ken

i cant claim to know the saddle u r talking about
have u considered using a 12" tube?
that’s what i’ve got on my home-made job and i cant imagine where i’d put another 8"
hopefully the more informed users will be able to help u out

Re: Lopsided airseat

Seems to be a consistant problem with the double layer of tube. I used Velcro but still had a problem. I tried duct tape but the tape left a very hard and uncomfortable spot just under the cover. I removed the duct tape and now the combo of the Velcro and the sticky residue from the tape seems to be helping. I wonder if they sell bottles of sticky residue at Wal-Mart?

Bruce

I’ll sell you a bottle of sticky residue :astonished:

OK, but only if it’s biodegradable and not tested on animals.

It’s biodegradable :frowning:

Price?

i don’t know if i’m too keen on the idea of sofa’s “sticky residue” and i don’t like the idea of him testing said sticky residue on animals. yuck.

Ken-

I don’t really understand this. Is the airpillow you are referring to the long, dogbone shaped fabric bag? If so, the innertube doesn’t sit on that, it goes inside it. Then the bag is folded in half with the two wide ends stacked on top of each other. The valve stem comes out the opening in one side of the bag. At the wide ends, the tube is spread out in loops, one with the valve stem in the middle of it. With some fiddling and some partial inflation and deflation, the tube can be quite easily set up to occupy all of the volume inside the bag uniformly.

Oops, thanks Harper, didn’t realise there were holes in the airpillow. Doh!

I have a carbon fiber base/Roach cover air seat with a 20" tube. I keep the
tube in place with a dog bone shaped fabric bag that I made myself. It is
made from some synthetic material and for good measure I used a soldering
iron to melt some holes in the fabric down the center of the bag. After to
tube was inserted, inflated and folded over, I pulled the two sides
together by weaving a shoelace through the holes in the fabric and synching
it tight. The stitching goes right down the center of the bag between the
two side of the tube. This holds everything in place very neatly.

I had the whole thing apart the other day to replace the tube which had
developed a leak on one of the places where the tube folds over. Has anyone
else gotten flats this way?

John Hooten

harper wrote:

> GizmoDuck wrote:
> >
> > I’m using a miyata saddle with Roach cover and airpillow. The only
> > way I can get the 20inch inner tube to sit on the airpillow in a
> > stable position is folding the tube in half and inserting into the
> > ends of the airpillow which is folded in half and flat on the seat
> > (sandwhiched between the folded tube).
>
> Ken-
>
> I don’t really understand this. Is the airpillow you are referring to
> the long, dogbone shaped fabric bag? If so, the innertube doesn’t sit on
> that, it goes inside it. Then the bag is folded in half with the two
> wide ends stacked on top of each other. The valve stem comes out the
> opening in one side of the bag. At the wide ends, the tube is spread out
> in loops, one with the valve stem in the middle of it. With some
> fiddling and some partial inflation and deflation, the tube can be quite
> easily set up to occupy all of the volume inside the bag uniformly.
>
> –
> harper - Gearhead
>
> -Greg Harper
>
> It takes twice the man to ride half the bike.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> harper’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/19281

I recently fixed a flat on my Coker’s airseat. I had a UPD on the Iron Horse Trail. Seems some little bits of sharp gravel had found their way into my airseat. There was one little hole in the tube where it could rub against the gravel.

Re: Re: Lopsided airseat

John,

My son Brad developed the very leak while out riding in the neighborhoods. Fortunately we were close to home at the time his seat went flat. Sort of wish mine was…sorry. Anyway, we’re not sure such a remote, forsaken place as Seattle has a Wal-Mart so we’re throwing an extra couple 12" tubes in the luggage (and per a previous post, extra axle nuts).

I thought about patching the tube but I wonder if the glue is sufficient and if the patch would hold long without a tire’s inner surface to hold it in place.

Bruce

You wouldn’t need the inside of the rim, you’d just have to squeeze it down harder while it dried. Once dry, they are quite secure on their own