Looking to get my 1st uni, have basic questions.

Looking to get my 1st uni, have basic questions.

My interest in unicycling is in the classic sense, and I only need a unicycle that works well on level, smooth, paved ground. I’m not sure what size wheel I want, so I have a plan - Buy a uni that can use a large wheel but also buy various smaller size wheels to switch out with it. How viable is that - are wheels easy enough to change? I was thinking of this Sun 26” wheeled uni, plus this Sun 20” wheel.

Or can I start off with a uni that comes with a 20” wheel and then later use a 26” wheel with it? This second option, if possible, might be better for me because the 20” and 24” CyclePro unis are the only ones that I can buy locally. I’ll make sure that I only buy a unicycle with brackets that clamp against the ends of the fork, rather than the lollipop bearings that some Cyclepro unis have.

Thanks for any help you can give.

sadly, wheels are not very interchangable with different frames, 20" frames fit 20" wheels, and so on. If this is your first uni, go with the 20", it’s easier learning. (: -kerosian

Well if you have the money and i mean alot of money :stuck_out_tongue: then this is 4 you.
http://www.unicycle.uk.com/Shop/schlumpf.htm?id=734

But if it’s not, then a 20" is ideal 4 learning. Then slowly slowly progress 2 a 24" & so forth. :smiley: :D. But whatever you do. Don’t interchange tyres. Whatever tyre the unicycle comes with. That what it comes with. It’s like putting hummer size wheels on a old mini. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: or something like that.

Hoped that helped somehow and merry christmas my friend.

Since you are in the US, Your are gonna want to deal with Unicycle.com

If you want something to change wheels out on, I would go with Nimbus (UDC house brand) because you easily be able to buy different sized wheels for it. Of course, it all depends on the distance you plan on riding. I agree with others about starting on a 20" wheel to start with. I learned on and 24" and just recently rode on a 20" wheel where I noticed it was easier.

A 24" unicycle will max out at a normal cross country runner’s race pace (bout a 6:15 mile or so). Here is the link for the Nimbus II 24": http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=741

You can get Nimbus X Freestyle 20" wheel cheap at $55 http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=760, all you will need to do is get a tire and tube. You can take the cranks and pedals off the other wheel and put them on the 20" wheel. It would prolly be better to go ahead and get some 5" or less crankarms for the smaller wheel though.

Here is how to change the wheel out:

1.) If you are gonna use the crankset and pedals from the 24" wheel, go ahead and use your sockets to take off the crank arm bolts (usually 14mm). Next, you will need a crank arm removing tool (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=420).
The instructions that come with this tool will explain how to use it.

2.) Remove the bearing caps and remove the wheel.

3.) Install new wheel. It is very important that you tighten the bearing cap bolts with a torque wrench and make sure the cap isn’t lop-sided. It should say in the manual, but my Torker is somewhere around 50 in lbs.

4.) Making sure there is no grease on the crank arms or axle, install the cranks on the axle and tighten the crank arm bolts/nuts to 320 in lbs.

5.) Ride and Enjoy!

If you don’t feel comfortable doing this change, then I suggest taking it to your local bike shop. Better safe than sorry. It is a pretty easy process.

Thanks for the responses. Alright, I won’t try to put a 26” wheel on a frame that came with a 20” wheel. I’m glad that question is out of the way.

How about the other combination though - Is there anything wrong with putting a 20” wheel on a uni that originally came with a 26”? I’d simply have to raise the seat to the proper height and then it would be just like owning a uni which originally came with a 20” wheel, except that I’d also have the option of switching back to the 26" wheel whenever I wanted, :slight_smile: right?

What kind of of price range are you looking at?

torker lx!!!

That is so true. That has 2 be the best unicycle to get if you really want to learn. :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley: :smiley:

I second this notion. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a Torker LX myself, but there is only one problem: It is only compatable with one aftermarket hub, and the frame cannot be manipulated to fit others. If you weren’t looking to change out the wheel at all, then I would go with one. However, since you are talking about using different wheels, I would stick with the Nimbus. Plus, if later on you decide to try Muni or light trials, you can fit a wider tire on the Nimbus, but you won’t be able to on the Torker.

What i want 2 know Saul_nova is. When you say interchangable, does that include the frame as well?? Or just the tyre? Cause if you want the frame, I think the only way that would happen is if they were custom made ones.

Oh and welcome to unicyclist.com my friend :smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley: