Longest Uni ride ever (for me)

Hi! Today I rode farther than I’ve ever ridden before on a unicycle. It was a really flat bike track. I know pretty much everybody else on here can ride farther than this but I rode…

3.6 miles!

I rode to the 1.8 mile marker and back. Usually I can’t ride farther than half a mile. :slight_smile: Must be because I’ve been working out at the gym.

I did make a mistake, though. I wore jeans because it was too cold to wear my baggy cycling shorts. I may not be a guy, but, ouch. :frowning:

Definitely need that air saddle. :slight_smile:

Nikki

Good job, Nikki. 3.6 miles is a respectable distance. I’m sure many errands that you could run are within that range which now makes your unicycle a practical mode of transportation. Start trying to learn how to navigate with curbs (kerbs, UK) soon.

You certainly don’t have to be a guy to have the seams in your jeans rub you the wrong way. Good biking shorts eliminate the seam problem. Sweat pants have long legs and have relatively small seams in more appropriate locations for unicycling if you have some of those. The constant crotch pressure is alleviated by the more expensive air seat solution. As a new rider you are probably putting ALL of your weight on the seat (a GOOD thing) but, with time, you will learn to pedal a few rotations occassionally while standing on the pedals which gets the circulation going again.

Re: Longest Uni ride ever (for me)

Nikki,

In the inimitable words of one Oprah, “you go girl.”

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

I wish I could run errands on my unicycle. Unfortunately, I live in just about the worst place to ride a unicycle. I live in a development off of a really narrow road right beside a mountain. There’s not even any space beside the road, let alone a sidewalk. It really stinks. I wish I lived downtown. I would ride my unicycle to school, then. (Seriously, I’ve considered this, but I’m not allowed to ride down North Hollow, the road I live on). That’s also the reason I decided I’m going to get a freestyle unicycle before a Coker because I would have nowhere to ride it. I want a Coker before I go to college so I can ride it to my classes and to the convenience store. :slight_smile:

Sounds like a MUni, not a Coker, is in order here. Cross-country, girl.

Well done Nikki! It is great when you start to go for longer rides.

I wear cycling shorts, under baggy pants when the weather is cooler… and
I’m not a guy either but I find that my Miyata seat is perfect with the
cycling shorts added… no need really for an air seat. Try the cycling
shorts first, I think the Miyata seat is perfect for us gals with no
modifications but than that’s just my experience.

Cheers,
Erin

“nikkifrog” <nikkifrog.cjhpn@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:nikkifrog.cjhpn@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Hi! Today I rode farther than I’ve ever ridden before on a unicycle.
> It was a really flat bike track. I know pretty much everybody else on
> here can ride farther than this but I
>
rode…

>
>
> 3.6 miles!
>
> I rode to the 1.8 mile marker and back. Usually I can’t ride farther
> than half a mile. :slight_smile: Must be because I’ve been working out at the gym.
>
>
> I did make a mistake, though. I wore jeans because it was too cold to
> wear my baggy cycling shorts. I may not be a guy, but, ouch. :frowning:
>
> Definitely need that air saddle. :slight_smile:
>
> Nikki
>
>
> –
> nikkifrog - Almost Level 2. :slight_smile:
>
> “The hardest part of learning to ride a unicycle is the ground.”
>
> -I found this on the internet somewhere but it said “horse” instead of
> unicycle. I don’t ride horses so I changed it. :slight_smile:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> nikkifrog’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/425
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/21032
>

Yeah, that’s what I have. (A Muni) But there’s not even anywhere to ride it. The road is cut out of a mountain, so on the side it goes straight up. On the other side it goes straight down and there’s a bunch of pine trees. Below that is a field with grass tall enough that it looks like a hayfield.

I think I just need to move. :smiley:

Or I could ride between the 2 yellow lines on the road. Hee hee.

Is anybody else in my kind of situation?

Nikki

Hey! Another girl! :slight_smile: Have you noticed that there aren’t many of us on here?

Nikki

Hey! my names Lauren, im 16/f from B.c Canada.
im Dylan (wallinger)'s girlfriend…Anyway he taught me how to ride and totally got me into it and i love it! i now own my own Muni…

Yeah whats with the lack of girls?!?!
how many of us are there?? like 3?!

Happy Trails.

~Lauren

Yep, I think that’s about it. :slight_smile:

Nikki

Hey Lauren where abouts are you and Dylan? If you are in Vancouver or
nearby, plan to come join us on one of the Vancouver Unicycle club rides!

Erin

“unilor” <unilor.cjsto@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:unilor.cjsto@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Hey! my names Lauren, im 16/f from B.c Canada.
> my boyfriend Dylan rides…Anyway he got me into it and i love it!
>
> Yeah whats with the lack of girls?!?!
> how many of us are there?? like 3?!
>
>
> Happy Trails.
>
> ~Lauren
>
>
> –
> unilor - Lauren “Wall” Lee
>
> It’s not right if it has more than one wheel…Uni is the only right way
> to ride!
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> unilor’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1286
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/21032
>

Hey! sorry havent been on in a while…the site was screwing up for me…ANYWAY!!
Uh yeah, Dylan and I are on the Island. Courtenay/Blackcreek.

For sure Thanks for the offer!!
Come out for the Vancouver Island MUni Weekend happening Next year (more details to come in the futer). Were Planning for it.

Dill and i were just in Vancouver today and yesturday at a NickelBack concert. Yeah!! We were going to stop off at Shaun White’s but we missed our ferry and landed later than expected in Vancouver! Damn! It’s always good to know more Uni’ers living in Vancouver though!

ttys.

~happy trails

Bike shorts are great. Get the hardish-looking ones because they wear longer. Unfortunately, sweat pants I think are going to shred very fast, which is too bad because they are comfortable.

Nikkifrog you are learning under the best possible conditions, because everything after this, such as flat pavement, will be trivial to ride!

Nice going Nikki, I did my longest ride about a 3 days ago. 1.5 miles to the grocery store, and then back with about 10lbs of grocercies in my back pack.
My friend and I both rode. Wow did we get some funny responses from people. :slight_smile:

Beandawg, Rifraf, or Erin; e-mail me! One of the kids on My son’s soccer team is buying juggling clubs; he would love to hear from you.-carjug@yahoo.com- I have your corrected address but it didn’t go…
Summer has been great, four clubs is a happening thing, and I pulled off a 12 mile cokeride with style. Life is good.

I hade to ride 5 miles around a track on a giraffe to get ready for The Memorial day Parade…And it was non-Stop!

I have a KH saddle, which is nice and comfy for several minutes at a time, but once you’ve ridden for over half an hour without a break it starts to ache a bit. However… padded cycling shorts make all the difference. I don’t see much advantage with wearing a skinny bit of lycra*, but ones with the extra padding seem to get that bit cushier. Stick them under something else without big seams and you’re sorted, and no one need know you are wearing lycra. :slight_smile:

• Sam
  • Harper, just don’t comment, please :smiley:

Once you start going for the longer rides, plan on padded bike shorts, AND an air seat, AND standing up slightly on the pedals occasionally, AND taking breaks.

Circulation is always good (for guys, gals, and even for frogs).

All my distance unis have air seats. (One has a pig horn. But that’s another story.)

Keep up the good work.

Carol
Minnesota

I rode little more than 25 miles during weekend. 15 miles sunday. I only stopped to drink. It was mostly a single track. No bikes allowed :). Somehow none of the people told me to go ride somewhere else. After that I rode around the same lake on a wider track mainly for skiing. There was a runner who passed me at about the first quarter of the track, so I decided to race him. I cought him at the very end of the lap. I had to ride with a cadence pretty close to 100 rpm whole time. Except for the uphill parts. Two of them I couldn’t even ride up on my 24" with 150mm cranks. Before this my longest ride was about 6miles.

Bike catalogs sell padded underwear you can wear under most anything and get the benefit of a chamois. They’re a lot cheaper than shorts and quicker to wash and dry.