longest distance on a 20" wheel

It’s nearly time for the Cheshire Bikeathon which is a big charity bike ride which goes on in my neck of the woods in aid of leukeamia research.

The last time I did it a couple of years ago I did the 13 mile ride, out of a choice of 6.5, 13, 26 and 52 mile rides. I did it on my 20" DM ringmaster…It was painful! I do not recommend spending that much time on a viscount saddle. My hat ended up being used as extra padding.

Hopefully I’ll have a 24"x3" by then as I don’t really fancy doing it on my onza 20" which is the only uni I have at the mo.

So yeah, I was just pondering what the furthest anyone’s been on a 20" uni.

Kit

I’ve done a couple 5 mile rides on a 20" torker with the old normal torker seat. You know, the one made of fire? yowza

In June 2002, I rode the whole length of the Gate to Southwell - a distance of 20 miles - on a Nimbus I, 20 inch unicycle with 125mm cranks, plastic pedals and a standard Viscount seat.

The Gate to Southwell is a “revived” traditional procerssion from Nottingham city centre to Southwell Minster. It includes formal processions at three or four stages, and lots of dancing and drinking of ale. I was wearing full Morris dancing costume including a tailcoat, straw hat, and bells on my shins. The noise got to me by mile 15.

The route is almost 100% tarmac, with only a few hills. For much of the distance, I was riding alone on country lanes as the dancers were shuttled ahead to keep to the schedule.

I couldn’t give times or average speeds because of the nature of the day. Suffice it to say that it would have been quicker on a Coker. :frowning:

The young girl at LBI unithon did the “19” mile race on her 20’’. JJuggle should provide her name. Something Sproul I think…?

Re: longest distance on a 20" wheel

MrBoogiejuice wrote:
> The last time I did it a couple of years ago I did the 13 mile ride, out
> of a choice of 6.5, 13, 26 and 52 mile rides. I did it on my 20" DM
> ringmaster…It was painful! I do not recommend spending that much time
> on a viscount saddle. My hat ended up being used as extra padding.
<snip>
> So yeah, I was just pondering what the furthest anyone’s been on a 20"
> uni.

I rode 30 miles on my 20" Ringmaster 10 years ago. My DM contoured
saddle served me far better than a Viscount would have done on the same
ride:
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/cycling/ridereports/dm1.html>

Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

Re: longest distance on a 20" wheel

yeah i wouldnt try 12miles on a trials uni again, i did the 6miles to my girlfriends and then back a few months ago on 140 cranks and a seatpost set for a dwarfe, it may have been a KH seat but it wasnt that comfortable , took me an hour each way i think

I rode to and from work 2 days a week for a month, on my 20" with its horrible learner seat :astonished: 5 miles along the valency valley in cornwall, more MUni than anything else.

Of course, that was before the shop was washed away…

i’ve gone 12.5 miles on a 20" Torker with stock seat before:( i got really saddle sore, tho

Bridget Sprouls.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Some other guy did the same thing that year. I dont remember his name. He didnt do to bad either I think he beat some cokers.

If you’re talking about the guy on the savage, he didn’t finish. I don’t think it was possible on a savage seat.

At the Moab MUni Fest 2004, a couple of the Welburn? kids rode the entire 11 miles of the Slick Rock trail on their summits. No easy task.
-Gabe

Oh some one gave him a ride?

Beau Hoover was on his 19" for both Slickrock and Amassa Back. He did downeville on a 19" in 2003 CMW. That was 15 or 17 miles offroad. I hear he’s done more.

keeping track of distance on a 20" unicycle is kinda like keeping track of distance travelled via cartwheel. it’s just an inefficient way of gettin around.

i once rode 6 miles on my 20" torker. Long rides on your uni is good, but mexicans honk their horns alot. (With me anyway)

John Childs took my Summit from Seattle, Washington to Moab, Utah…and back again. I think he bested the 6 mile mark within, well, the first 7 miles.

He was so sick of the Summit by the end of the trip that he tried to throw it under the wheels of a moving semi truck. When that failed (because he throws like a girl), he resorted to tossing it in the nearest dumpster. There is photographic evidence somewhere…