long ride

hey, im kinda new to uni riding and i might be going on a long ride this weekend any advice, or help on how to coast?
thanks to any one who replys

I’m not quite sure if that was a serious question or a wind up, but I’ll assume it was serious.

Coasting is an advanced skill taking hours of practice to learn. It involves taking both feet of the pedals and resting them on the crowns of the forks, then using the sole of the foot as a brake on the surface of the tyre. A skilled rider can coast downhill for very long distances. I certainly can’t.

If you can’t coast now, you are unlikely to be using it as a techique on a long ride this weekend.

But tips on a long ride - what is a long ride? A long ride is a ride that is at or near the limit of what you can achieve, or have achieved before. For some people, that’s a mile. For others, it’s a hundred miles. For me, anything over about 20 miles is a long ride.

Keep the speed steady, pace yourself, set goals, keep the rhythm going, but have enough stops to recover. Take plenty of fluids, and a steady intake of carbohydrates. If there’s a lunch stop, try to make it about 2/3 of the way through the ride. Don’t drink alcohol. Enjoy it.

Write it up in this forum afterwards.

Good luck.

Mike

Well(I know I’ve said this before) don’t let the foot that’s on frame accidentally hit the wheel or else you won’t be able to stay on. I did this for about 3 days before fealizing what the problem was. Good luck with gliding its tons of fun.

Habbywall wrote: hey, im kinda new to uni riding and i might be going on a long ride this weekend any advice, or help on how to coast? thanks to any one who replys

Don’t get ahead of yourself habbywall, I believe you posted a thread asking how to turn earlier today.

Unicycling is a skill that develops over time - with a lot of patience.

On this trip, it may be wise to forget anything other than maintaining balance and keeping a good cadence while spinning.

If your looking for detailed advice, it would be helpful to know a little bit more info - such as:

• what size wheel your spinning - 20" or 24" (since your new, I doubt it’s anything larger).

• and, as Mike asked, how many miles is this “long ride”?

• also Is this a road trip or going to be on groomed trails?

im several months into unicycling and I can’t even hold onto a wall without my feet on the pedals, I am beginning to be able to do one footed riding, but coasting is many many many months away

I think its a wind up!

i have been riding for about a year or so now. i ride all the time when i can. and im level 5/6 and i can do a unispin, but never mind about that. coasting would take about a month to learn solid unicycling so good luck mate i cant see it happening.

habbywall you are so funny…