Long jump competition details?

I made some more improvements with my long jumping today. I got 1.50m but I’m not sure whether or not it would count in competitions because when I landed I did a little still stand and then hopped back in the direction I came from. Also, when you’re preparing to hop, you’ll be disqualified if your wheel goes over the line by accident even if you correct it before you hop won’t you?

I got 1.50m a few times today while hopping around on my 20" with it’s new Maxxis Max Daddy 20" x 2.25" tyre. I’m running 45psi at the moment which seems to be working well.

One more thing, can anyone tell me the world long jump record using the sidehop technique? I know the 2.45m rolling hop one (which is just ridiculous).

Sam, check your PM’s.

Thanks,
Andrew

i’m not sure, but at UNICON, i longjumped something like 1.90m on my 24x3’ gazzoloddi.

Now i can gap (edge to edge)(flat)(ie. 2 pallets- gap from one to the other) 6’4" , from a standstill. I find this is more used in trials lines than the rolling hop.
but i d’ont know if anyone went further using that technique.

-Ryan

Ryan,

Thanks for that. When you’re doing those massive side hops (long and not high), what tyre pressure are you using (I know it differs a lot from person to person) and how much is your tyre folding when you land? I’ve got a Maxxis Max Daddy 2.25" on my old 20" at the moment which I have to run at about 45psi so it doesn’t fold. It’s on a cheap rim that’s not particularly wide. Thanks again for posting all those videos too, I’ve really been enjoying them.

Andrew

I ran about 24 psi in my gazzoloddi back then, and now i run around 27-29 psi in my monty tire. this minimizes flats and folds, as well as having the tire being ripped right off the rim. when i gapped at UNICON (flat lake off and landing) my tire folded quite a bit, but off of square edges, it doesn’t fold at all.
hope that helps,

-Ryan

Yeh, that does help, thanks. I should be able to borrow my friend’s Onza for UniNats this year.

Andrew

Re: Long jump competition details?

The IUF Rulebook doesn’t cover the Long Jump. This is what the USA Rulebook (2002) says:

2.34 LONG JUMP: The rider jumps over two boards that are 1-cm high and at least 1 cm wide. Riders must pedal at least one revolution before jumping, jump over the two boards, and ride away in control for at least three revolutions of the wheel. Riders can ride up to the boards gathering speed. Riders may jump over the boards with the wheel going forward or sideways. Jumping starts at a minimum distance and the landing board is moved farther away at set intervals until the rider can no longer make it over the boards. Riders get two attempts at each distance. If the rider fails on both attempts, the longest successful distance is recorded. For a successful jump, the tire may not touch either board.

I notice it does not directly answer either of your questions. But the intention is to work the same way as a regular track & field long jump. When you land, you can’t fall back. That either invalidates your jump, or changes the length to where you hopped back to. You can land into a stillstand though. So it’s important to have enough momentum to carry you up and over your landing point, so you can ride away.

Before jumping, if you cross the line you’re either disqualified for that attempt (or measured), or allowed to try again. This is up to the judges onsite.

At NAUCC and UNICON last summer, the rules above were not used, in that we had actual track & field judges, and they judged the event just like a regular long jump competition. There were no physical props to jump over; they just measured where you landed by eye. The judges were strict, but I think they were pretty accurate.

People gave our jumping officials a hard time, and they got a little harsh in response. But it was the world championships, for gosh sakes, not the local county track meet. If we didn’t want to take it seriously, we shouldn’t have wasted their time. They did a great job.

Hope that answered your questions!

Sorry, don’t know who did it which way. But 2.45m sure will seem ridiculous in a few years, because I know people are going to break it every time we have a UNICON, at least for the next 2 or 3.

Thanks John, that was really helpful. I hope they don’t have two things you have to clear at UniNats. I can see that really distracting me. Just another question, this time about high jump, how difficult is it to jump over a bar? I’ve never tried this and it seems to me that it’s take away from my hoppng height a lot.

Thanks,
Andrew

That’s not much of a question. Jumping over a bar is more difficult. Add “more” to how difficult it is to jump vertically and you’re in the ballpark. If you want to compete in a high jump competition, practice jumping over things. Remember you not only have to make the height, you have to clear the bar with your pedals on both sides (and ride away).

Helmet and pads highly recommended, especially when practicing!

For long jump, if your competition is using objects on the ground, the idea is that they are flat things used as markers. But this method may go away, if the use of two judges with keen eyes is available. It saves a lot of time. With a lot of competitors, the system of moving and adjusting markers after every single jump will take too long.