Long distance riding

I like to take a bag of pistachios for a mid ride snack. Usually also have muesli bar(s) and/or a banana. Dried fruit is good too. +1 on the Camelbak, mine has a 3L bladder and can fit some food, tools, wallet, keys, phone.

The path I usually ride is about 5 miles long, so I’ve gotten used to getting off for a few minutes and having a drink every 5 miles. I don’t like backpacks when it’s hot since I sweat like crazy underneath them, so I clip my water bottle to the frame. I’ve mostly gotten used to weight of the bottle on the frame. I still occasionally have a silly mount where I weave all over the place and flail my arms. It keeps me humble.

I’ve tried and tried to get used to energy bars. They’re very convenient. But I can’t get past the taste. Those things are disgusting. I usually take a bag of peanuts and raisins in my pocket. I don’t need much since I rarely ride longer than 2 hours.

Aarons I had a similar reaction to energy bars until a coworker had me try the Balance Bar, the bar isn’t bad in comparison to some. Here is the link to info about the bars in case you’re interested.
http://www.balance.com/varieties/

Sorry not trying to thread jack

I’ve been doing lots of MTB races on my Geared Muni (50-113km) in the past year or so and have had to come to grips with nutrition while riding. Being in the saddle for 3.5-8hrs+ at race pace means you need to get it right, or you don’t finish. For races longer than 50km i carry 2, 2L bladders. One full of plain water, the other with a potent electrolyte sports drink mix (think 10x the recommended powder to water ratio). Its great to sip on- keep the cramps at bay and the sugars in it help lift the spirits. Also I have a GU energy gel every 45 mins. For the longer races I also eat a banana or two, take some sultanas (raisins), and a few muesli bars.

What I believe is just as important, however, is what you have consumed in the 2 days leading up to your big ride. You need to be fully hydrated (you know you have it right when you have to pee about 3 times in the morning before you start!). I abstain from all caffeine and booze the week before a big race to help in this. Also, I make a massive pasta meal that I eat for the 2 dinners and one lunch before the event. This puts you in a really good position to perform well and ultimately have a good time out there on the trails.

I have a 100km off road race this sunday so i’m in the middle of prep for it. I’ll be able to refill my bladders at the 37 an 78km marks so I probably wont start with a full 2L water, and will take some more sports drink powder with me to top up later on in the day.

Mark