Lightweight 29er tyre- race king continental 2.2

I’m trying out a new tyre on my 29er- the race king continental 2.2

Having looked on the unicycle sites and finding the available 29er tyres where either too heavy, too expensive, or both, I had a look on some LBS sites and found the above tyre.

For some background, I’ve previously found that many of the 29er tyres used by unicyclists for off-roading are way too heavy for the riding I do, which tends to be on roads and in an area with some very steep hills.

I find tyres that weight 1000gms+ make getting up hills noticably more difficult and this one is listed as being only 650gm.

I’m guessing it would not be any good whatsoever for downhill/extreme muni, but, that’s not what I wanted it for.

The price, at £14.99, was also very welcome :slight_smile:

Only done the one ride on it up to now, and it seemed fine.

Perhaps less stable than a bigger/heavier tyre, but ride fine- I didn’t notice any issues with road camber (it’s a fairly round cross section).

It span up to speed well on the uphills, and I definitly felt the benefits of the lower weight when climbing.

I noticed MuniAddict had tried this tyre out before switching to an even lighter one for his extreme uphill climbs, so I’m sure he could give more details about it’s pros/cons.

Like I said, I’ve only rode it once, but I’ll update this thread as I out in more time on it.

Yep, I also have the race king and it’s really perfect for light MUni/xc. It’s so light I could probably use it for my regular road climb rides, but really love the resist nomad road tire.

Interesting. So I could buy one of these and go offroad on my 29er without feeling like someone had tied bricks to the wheel? :smiley:

I’ve been wanting to join some of the other UK riders on their light MUni outings but my 29 Trainer is only set up for road riding. I’m sure Roger at UDC will be going into a state of apoplexy thinking about me taking that particular unicycle on a MUni trail, but I have no intentions of jumping, hopping or going on a ‘downhill’ - just want enough grip to ride round a muddy trail, honest!

(I’ll save up for a real 24/26 MUni and hopefully get one at the end of the year in time to train up for an attempt at a really tough MTB trail I’ve found nearby.)

The 29er trainer is not made for offroad riding regardless of what tire you might put on it. It has only a single walled rim, a heavy steel frame and non-isis, cotterless cranks. You would definitely want to get a purpose built MUni for offroad riding.

I also was on the market to replace my dying Kenda Klaw 29x2.1 that was heavy and not that great for commuting.

I found a good price on a set of WTB Exiwolf 29x2.3.
It is bigger volume than my previous tire while being both lighter (750g on my scale) and easier to install because it is foldable.

My commutes are now a pleasure but I haven’t given up the grip when I am using shortcuts through grass/hard pack/light mud/slushy snow/thin snow.

I even went for a ride with a friend in a fire trail nearby and it was better than I expected: supple, not bouncy nor too hard or rim knocker.

There is I think a good selection of tires nowadays that are light while performant and are perfect for 29ers used as jack-of-all-trades.

You are right MuniAddict, but I am sure than a lot of beginners that got a trainer unicycle for price, went off-road for fun way before having the money for a better uni (and my friends and I made the jump to a better uni only after a breakdown :p).

Yeah, I remember when I first started riding MUni back in late '05 I rode my old Schwinn 24! Beat the heck out of it in no time flat, and quickly replaced it with a torker dx. I enjoyed it as my first “real” MUni and after about a year got my first KH, and never looked back! :slight_smile:

Yes- it’s an offroad tyre: not made for extreme stuff, but if you’re just wanting to ride some offroad trails without doing big drops, then the knobbles on the tyre will enable you to do that and not be skidding hoplessly when you encounter a bit of mud.

I wouldn’t rule out the trainer for non-extreme trail riding. My first non-20" uni was one of the first Nimbus 24" from around a decade ago- it had a normal 24" rim without eyelets and square taper cranks.

I put a 3" duro fat offroad tyre on that uni and rode it everywhere- on roads and offroad- I’ve never been fussed about doing extreme stuff and high drops etc, but I always found it superb on the trails, never had any issues with it being square taper or having a less than strong rim (eventually, after many years and thousands of miles of riding, the rim split while riding on a sidewalk).

Around the same time I had one of the early nimbus 700c models (this was in the days before 29ers) which came with a 700c road tyre- soon after I started hearing about ‘29-ers’ and got myself a fatter tyre with knobbles on. After that I always used a fatter, knobbly tyre, as I tend to ride a mix of mainly roads/pavements and bits of grassy, mild off road trails.

Again, the square taber hub and relatively weak rim were not an issue.

As for steel frames- I don’t see how that’s an issue, it’s only very recently that I’ve had unis with aluminium frames- steel may be a tad heavier, but, as far as I’m concerned, it’s not that important, as long as it’s not extra weight where it counts i.e. rotating mass on the wheel.

While I’ve never ridden a ‘trainer’, from the description it sounds like they’ll be as strong as the old-style square taper Nimbii, so I’d say ‘go for it’- get a knobbly tire and convert it to a 29er for some mild off-roading.

I prefer the feel of steel frame to aluminium because it has a bit of give

There’s muni and then there’s muni. You wouldn’t want to take a 29er Trainer on what Terry calls muni. However doubtless it would be just fine on most of what I call muni, or indeed an awful lot of off-road riding people do.

Dude I know what kind of trails you mean so yeah you’d be fine with it on your trainer. Might pick one up for my muni as well!