lighter 24x3" tire?

Hi,

Anyone found a lighter 24x3" tire that works well for MUni/trials? I’ve been
using an Arrow Racing 24x3" tire for trials, and a Gazz 24x3 for MUni. The
Arrow is a bit lighter than the Gazz but does anyone know of anything lighter
still (lighter being relative!). I tried a cruiser slick 24x3 called a
“fireball” for urban trials and it’s ok but is not very grippy in anything but
clean dry terrain.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Kris Holm.


Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a
year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

RE: lighter 24x3" tire?

>but does anyone know of anything lighter still (lighter being relative!). I
>tried a cruiser slick 24x3 called a “fireball” for urban trials and it’s ok but
>is not very grippy in anything but clean dry terrain.

Well, on the Helium note, some pro bike racers, downhillers and even roadies in
the Tour de France, use Nitrogen to reduce weight and rolling resistance- but
again, unis don’t make enough rpms of the wheel for rolling resistance to be an
issue. If you’re trying a fire riding stunt, you might try Hydrogen- but I’d
recommend using an old tire!

How was the Fireballs tire? We use them extensively in my shop on our cruisers,
and we’ve joked about using one on my muni, but I haven’t tried it yet. Does it
make a decent street tire? :slight_smile:

Keep riding! Jeremy unicycle@ihateclowns.com


Do you hate clowns? Get Free Email & Free Websites at http://www.ihateclowns.com
Buy Anti-Clown, Mugs, and Mousepads at http://www.cafepress.com/ihateclowns

Re: lighter 24x3" tire?

In article <20010211185451.13032.qmail@web11606.mail.yahoo.com>, Kris Holm
<danger_uni@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone found a lighter 24x3" tire that works well for
MUni/trials? … …
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Has anyone ever tried using helium instead of air in the tires? Just curious.
Sorry I can’t help with the question other than a rather impractical-sounding
and possibly not-too-helpful suggestion.

David

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

RE: lighter 24x3" tire?

— Jeremy Chrisman <unicycle@ihateclowns.com> wrote: … How was the Fireballs
tire? We use them extensively in my shop on our cruisers, and we’ve joked
> about using one on my muni, but I haven’t tried it yet. Does it make a decent
> street tire? :slight_smile:
>

The Fireball seems to work well for street riding as long as you pump it up
quite hard (otherwise it feels really “sticky”. It’s really good for gliding.
However, the moment it gets wet or dirty gliding becomes really difficult and
there isn’t much traction on even grass, let alone, say, wet logs.

-Kris.

> Keep riding! Jeremy unicycle@ihateclowns.com
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> Do you hate clowns? Get Free Email & Free Websites at
> http://www.ihateclowns.com Buy Anti-Clown, Mugs, and Mousepads at
> http://www.cafepress.com/ihateclowns
>
>


Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a
year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: lighter 24x3" tire?

I don’t know of any tires, but running a standard tube instead of a downhill
tube saves some weight.

Chris

Kris Holm wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Anyone found a lighter 24x3" tire that works well for MUni/trials? I’ve been
> using an Arrow Racing 24x3" tire for trials, and a Gazz 24x3 for MUni. The
> Arrow is a bit lighter than the Gazz but does anyone know of anything lighter
> still (lighter being relative!). I tried a cruiser slick 24x3 called a
> “fireball” for urban trials and it’s ok but is not very grippy in anything but
> clean dry terrain.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kris Holm.
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a
> year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: lighter 24x3" tire?

david_stone@my-deja.com <david_stone@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Has anyone ever tried using helium instead of air in the tires? Just curious.
> Sorry I can’t help with the question other than a rather impractical-sounding
> and possibly not-too-helpful suggestion.

No, but I’d guess that helium being such a small molecule would leak out of the
tyre quite quickly.

I was talking to a friend of mine about various things which might help me to
learn to ride my unicycle, and pondered whether strapping myself to a big helium
balloon would help.

Cheers, Jim

Re: lighter 24x3" tire?

The weight difference that helium over air would make is far less than wearing a
lighter set of clothes would do (unless you already ride nude, in which case you
can join the International Nude Cross Country Unicycle Club).

Plus imagine having to carry around the helium tank in case of a flat…
:stuck_out_tongue:

It would be pretty cool to be able to breathe your tyre air and talk like a
chipmunk while on the trail though.

Wayne

----- Original Message ----- From: <david_stone@my-deja.com> To:
<unicycling@winternet.com> Sent: Monday, 12 February 2001 10:39 Subject: Re:
lighter 24x3" tire?

> In article <20010211185451.13032.qmail@web11606.mail.yahoo.com>, Kris Holm
> <danger_uni@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anyone found a lighter 24x3" tire that works well for
> MUni/trials? … …
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated!
>
> Has anyone ever tried using helium instead of air in the tires? Just curious.
> Sorry I can’t help with the question other than a rather impractical-sounding
> and possibly not-too-helpful suggestion.
>
> David
>
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Re: lighter 24x3" tire?

Wayne,

You seam to know about this “Nude Cross Country Unicycle Club”, you a member?

Roger


The UK's Unicycle Source <a href="http://www.unicycle.uk.com/">http://www.unicycle.uk.com/</a>

----- Original Message ----- From: “Wayne van Wijk” <jester2@gil.com.au> To:
<david_stone@my-deja.com>; <unicycling@winternet.com> Sent: Monday, February 12,
2001 10:55 AM Subject: Re: lighter 24x3" tire?

> The weight difference that helium over air would make is far less than wearing
> a lighter set of clothes would do (unless you already ride nude,
in
> which case you can join the International Nude Cross Country Unicycle
Club).
>
> Plus imagine having to carry around the helium tank in case of a flat…
> :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> It would be pretty cool to be able to breathe your tyre air and talk like
a
> chipmunk while on the trail though.
>
>
> Wayne
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: <david_stone@my-deja.com> To:
> <unicycling@winternet.com> Sent: Monday, 12 February 2001 10:39 Subject: Re:
> lighter 24x3" tire?
>
>
> > In article <20010211185451.13032.qmail@web11606.mail.yahoo.com>, Kris Holm
> > <danger_uni@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Anyone found a lighter 24x3" tire that works well for
> > MUni/trials? … …
> > > Any suggestions would be appreciated!
> >
> > Has anyone ever tried using helium instead of air in the tires? Just
> > curious. Sorry I can’t help with the question other than a rather
> > impractical-sounding and possibly not-too-helpful suggestion.
> >
> > David
> >
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/