Life outside of unicycling.

I thought it’d be cool to see a bit of info as to what walks of life everyone is coming from. As in, what you do for a living. Also, how did you get into unicycling?

I’m a railway signaller and got into uni as I ride bike trials and a guy on a trials forum I frequent was selling a cheap trials uni for £35 and I couldn’t resist. Loved it ever since!

I don’t know what you mean!
:roll_eyes:

What’s your job, and how did you first get interested in unicycling? Sorry if I wasn’t very clear :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m just interested in how diverse unicyclists as a group are…

Resident Manager of a nature preserve with a trail system, beach, and protected set of dunes. Bought my first on a whim 6 or 7 years ago on eBay after being sniped on a stave of yew to build an English longbow. Was ticked off losing it within the last minute of bidding, and intentionally bid on the most frivolous thing I could think of. Riding muni turned out to be one of my favorite passions.

I work in a circuit board factory and my father got me my first one for Christmas. It was a 24" Schwinn and I was 7yrs old.

I work as a ranch hand a few day’s of the week and also a few day’s of the week as a painter’s gopher/ assistant. My mom bought me a unicycle for christmas about six years ago and I’ve been into it ever since.

Hahaha… Coincidentally found your favorite passions, gotta love those accidental/flip of the coin/random events in life.

45 years you’ve been uni’ing? Dadgum!

Wait…there’s life outside of unicycling? Who knew!? :smiley:

Work at a Kroger :(lol
I started 4 years ago from a 1970s Schwinn my great uncle gave me

Professional high school student. Usually playing football or (this time of year) weight lifting so no job. :roll_eyes: Started looking around at unicycling on the internet for no particular reason at all. Saw the Columbia ad with Dan Heaton in it, and told my parents I wanted one for christmas. Haven’t looked back since.

Another unique hobby of mine is traditional archery so doing things different wasn’t exactly new to me.

Yes, you were clear, I just forgot my <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags!

BTW, I’m a software developer.

I’m a full time high school student and a competitive XC skier and biathlete.

Darn you made that joke before me.

Financial advisor.

I was watching Tour de France three years ago and the commercial of a local bike shop had a unicycle hanging up in the back ground. Something I’d occasionally thought about trying and that image reminded me. My work gives the field staff $200 a year for fitness related activities since we don’t have access to the gym at HQ and they want to encourage active healthy lifestyles. I had some money left in my account so the company bought me my first Uni and has been chipping in on my now more expensive Uni habit ever since.

My 2013 allowance is likely to be used on a 36". Does this make me a ‘professional’ rider?

pax

I guess I should pay more attention to those all so important emoticons…

For some of us…

That’s almost exactly how it happened with me! Found it on the internet and within a week I was hooked and had bought one off of Craigslist. I have always enjoyed doing things that are odder, so to speak.

I am a statistician for a financial company.

My daughter is in a unicycle group and wasn’t making any progress, but she wanted to go to a parade in Washington DC. Each kid going had to be able to ride a figure eight, free mount, and ride formation on a 20 inch unicycle. She was still sitting against the wall and riding with assistance maybe 2 revolutions before falling off after 6 months of work. The lead ‘coach’, when I mentioned who my daughter was, said it was very unlikely she would make it. “Maybe a very outside chance at best” as he said.

We had three months. Almost every day for three months we were getting up at 6 am and practicing before school. Weekends were all about unicycling. It was practice, practice, practice and many times she thought about giving up. But she hung on - sometimes with tears. Thee weeks before the parade she was able to ride 50 feet but could not turn and could not freemount. Two weeks before the parade we had practice and she refused to let go of my hand. So there I am running along holding her hand why the group runs through their routine. I expected a call saying she was not on the team. They didn’t call. So we practiced even harder. 1 week before the parade there was another practice and they handed out the official gear for the parade. She was not on the list. The coach told me she didn’t make the cut. I asked him to give her one more chance. I knew she learned how to turn and free mount in the past week. He gave he another chance and she performed well enough to make it to the next practice when he would consider to keeping her on or not.

Three days before the parade was the final practice. All the parents and me were watching in a group as the kids were going around in a loop and doing their routines. She fell off a few times, but always free mounted. After several loops around the coach stopped her after she fell off and took a minute to talk to her. I thought for sure that was it. She was cut. But as she came around the loop to where we were standing she said “Dad, I am in the parade!” All the parents applauded. She beamed as they handed her the official gear.

She is the last kid in my profile picture riding past the Washington Monument. While I was teaching her I poured over videos for hours on how to freemount, turn, etc and learned that unicycling is not just for parades. It is a sport. So I mentioned to my daughter that I wanted to try her Torker CX after the parade. She conspired with my wife and, much to my suprise, for my 51st birthday four days later I received a 24 inch Torker LX. Now we ride together and she enjoyed running me through my paces when I was learning to free mount. “Ok, do it 100 times in a row.” she would say with a big smile on her face.

This is her now:

008-001.JPG

That is an absolutely amazing story Jigywigy! An amazing accomplishment with a real sense of drive and determination that in the end allowed your daughter to achieve her goal. Without your help she probably wouldn’t have made it and I’m sure thanks to you she’s learnt a valuable lesson of the rewards you get for the time and effort you put into something!

Hi Jigywigy!

I love your story about your daughter… and then you!

That surely doesn’t look like a Torker CX she’s riding.
What is it?
And how big is the tire?

It taught us both good lessons. When I was younger I used to race bikes, rock climb, ski, and was a very active person. Over the years I had become sedentary and gained a lot of weight. But I could not find a sport that interested me anymore - running was boring and biking took too much time for a good workout. Unicycling got me hooked and I have been loosing weight and riding daily ever since.

But the main lesson for me was to not just love your kids, but learn from what they do. I had learned this befoe when, because of them, I learned how to make kites. We made big kites, little kites, colorful kites, and kites that could lift things. About the same time I was doing this my wife gave me a cheap video camera. I sent it up with the kites and now I do art shows with the results (after a few years of trial and error). Here is a link to my photos taken from a kite.

The parade was the Cherry Blossom Parade. All the kids had a good time as you can tell from the photos. My daughter is the cute one in blue (first close up) and with pipe cleaners in her spokes.

The unicycle she is riding in the photo I posted is my 29 inch Nimbus Drak. She loves it.