Level 10 World Record

Does anyone know what the ascendation to level 10 world record is?

I’d love to help, Aaron dear, but first you’ll need to tell me what you mean by “ascendation”, as that’s a word I’ve never heard before, and I was unable to find it in the dictionary.

MA

Off the top of my head, I think it’s in the region of two years.
I can’t remember any names at the moment but I’m sure someone will be along to give more detail.

I’m willing to bet someone has done it faster. I’ve been riding for just a year now without a ton of practice time and I’m at 7. Although I’ve never been officially tested so I suppose it isn’t valid.

I suppose you are correct. Being able to do all the individual moves is different from being able to string them all together returning to pedaling every time in front of a judge.

Hopefully someone from the Twin Cities Unicycle Club will jump on this thread with the authoritative response, since it appears from this post that all nine of the official Level 10 riders are from TCUC. And this post suggests that the youngest Level 10 rider was just nine years old when he passed, although it doesn’t say how long it took him to accomplish that feat.

I’ll put my money on Smiley (Ryan Woessner) :smiley:

Does that mean there are only 9 level 10 riders in the world :thinking:

Yes, that is correct. That does not mean there are only 9 people who can do all the skills on level 10 though. Remember to pass level 10 you have to passed ALL previous 9 levels in order.

For example, hand wheel walk is a difficult skill on level 8 that many people simply don’t bother learn. It can literally be a pain to learn, especially if you are a guy. You may be able to do everything on level 9 and 10, but if you can’t do hand wheel walk, you can’t pass level 8 and hence will be stuck as an official level 7. Also some people have never go around to testing.

Note that level 8 is a significant hurdle. There are far, far more level 7 riders than level 8s. There are some very difficult skills in level 9 and 10 as well. Have a go at one foot backwards wheel walk - I can pull off a number of level 10 skills and feel like others are possible given time but that one is still well beyond my grasp.

I believe Ryan has the record for the fastest progression to level 10.

JC wins the bet.

Ryan Woessner went from getting on a unicycle in early December, 1999 to passing Level 10 on Nov 13, 2001.

Spencer Johnson (who passed Level 10 at age 9) learned to unicycle when he was 4 or 5 years old.

Connie

I believe Christian Hoverath who is from germany has also level 10. Or does that count for TCUC because he do it there?

the hardest thing about the skills levels is not the individual skills, suprisingly none of them are actually too daunting, given the practise. However the prospect of doing EVERY single one with no mistakes is an impressive feat in anyone’s books. To be able to do level 10 tricks confidently is what really seperates those who “think they could do the levels” and those very few people who have actually achieved level 10. I mean anyone can ride one footed, coast 2 metres and fall off, but it takes a skilled rider to coast with no doubts in mind.

Anyway given that Ryan passed in under two years, he had probably got a fair bit of it of the way in under a year. With most people there are a couple of things they struggle with. I know i can’t do a proper backwards pirouette to save my life.

He was a TCUC member when he passed it (and still might be a TCUC member?). He also passed it in MN when he was here visiting.

I think I have the slowest progression for passing level 10, something like 13 years woohoo! :slight_smile: And the oldest person at 27 (25 at the time I passed it). I dare any of you old fogies to try and beat one of those…I double dog dare you! :stuck_out_tongue:

If the Hand-Wheel-Walk Fairy were to visit me some night and endow me with the ability to do that one (stupid, ugly) trick I could probably make the rest of the levels without too huge an investment in time. But I still have no plans of learning that one trick on my own. That’s why I still get to say: “I’m not a Level 9, but I play one on TV.” (in the old Skill Levels video)

yeah regular hand wheel walk is a test of flexibility and it also REALLY hurts you genitals if you aren’t sitting correctly (doing it with the feet out is even worse). I learnt to do it stomach on seat first, which is easier to learn, requires less flexibility and puts no pressure on the sensitive bits :wink:

Aw, come on John let’s see you pass level 10! Yes, hand wheel walk is difficult and can hurt but you could do it stomach on seat, then it won’t hurt. Just lower the seat a little so it’s easier. Or learn how to position yourself correctly and do it sitting on the seat. Either way it’s not that difficult compared to say backwards pirroute. I’d say hand ww is 10 times easier than backwards piroutee, maybe even more…

I believe Connie is working on passing 9 and 10 and think she’s getting close? Maybe you two should set up a challenge to see who can pass 10 first? It’s always more fun when there is competition!

There has to be more the 10 level ten people in the world…

Nope not officially and there are only 9 in level 10’s in the world! But not that many people practice it outside of the USA. And even then not many people practice for it.

Are you official?

Bull. I can do a backwards pirouette, and I never hurt my gut or crotch in the process. It’s all a matter of what you practice (and what you’re interested in learning…).

Maybe I’ll go for the "oldest to pass level 10 record. In that case, I’m taking my time. Maybe I’m hoping a different set of levels; a more sensible one, comes along first!

The “official passing” applies to the USA skill levels, which vary in some details from the IUF skill levels. USA has a much more detailed description of the requirements to pass all the levels, making the process stricter. Any IUF level 10 riders would be a little more suspect, especially if they were not passed by certified level testers.

If someone has never actually been tested, they are only “level equivalent.” It’s not the real thing unless you do the whole test. Just being able to do each of the skills is very different from passing the tests. For example, I can “do” almost everything in levels 9 and 10. But to do it all in a row with a maximum of two mistakes would take me lots of hours of practice to be ready for.