Let's here it from the "old" folks!

Great! But one thing: that’s a photo of when you were 45, right? :hugs:

1 Like

That’s the :sparkles: unicycle magic :sparkles: apparently!

1 Like

LOL! Me on my 66th B-Day.

2 Likes

I learned to ride (with my daughters) 3 years ago when I was 43 years old.

We now have three 20", one 24" muni and one" 27.5" Muni to keep us busy.

I mainly ride cross country with the 27.5", a typical ride is 20km.

I don’t think I will stop :uni: cycling any time soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

57 now.

I bought my first unicycle in summer 1987 when I was 24.

After many years of occasional riding and performing, and a bit of a break, I got into unicycling as a hobby/sport somewhere in the 2000s.

Around the age of 35–40, I was riding several times a week, on and off road.

Now at 57 I ride occasionally, in between riding my two bikes (one fixed, one gravel) and sailing my dinghy. I’m still good for 20 miles without a dismount on the 36 but I’m slower than I was.

My fleet has contracted and is now KH24, KH29, KH36, and a custom 28, plus a 24" UW.

4 Likes

You mean a two-wheel unicycle?

2 Likes

My gosh, you look 30 something.

2 Likes

Still at it.
Turned fifty through lock-down.
Left picture was me learning fifteen years ago.
Right picture was me around last year.
I don’t do so much muni these days, learned the hard way that older bones break more easily.

2 Likes

Fogey

Anyone with osteoarthritis in their knees? I wonder if that will be a problem? The doctors recommend cycling even after a new knee.
Anyone what to talk about that?

1 Like

Running used to be my main form of exercise. I ran mostly on trails, pretty easy on the knees. Now that I am unicycling, though, I have no plans to run again. I have experimented with crank length and have found shorter cranks to be harder on my knees and hips, due to the sudden, more forceful corrections I have to make. I am a big rider. I weigh 210 lbs. My riding style involves a lot of starting and stopping, not generally very flowy. So, long cranks seem like the right choice for me. If you are concerned with saving your knees, you might consider keeping your cranks on the longer side. The Torker 24" LX comes with 150mm cranks, which are plenty long for that size uni. Within a few months of learning to unicycle, I was already riding on the trails near my house. One day, after a ride, I was sitting in our neighborhood’s communal hot tub. I placed my hand on my knee, for some reason, then realized the muscles all around my knee were very well developed. So, yes, I think unicycling can be good for your knees. However, in the beginning stages, clumsy dismounts can be a little rough on the knees.

oldfatboy, I am also 52 years old, though I started riding six years ago. I also started on a Torker 24" LX. Solid unicycle. Keep us posted on your progress!

I’m aware that this comment is completely off topic. But how is that fair that you live in a place with a communal hot tub and I don’t :frowning: :wink:

1 Like

Heck ya, I’m interested!

I’m learning to unicycle and I don’t have enough experience to comment.

I have a compromised knee with OA. On the one hand wheel sports can be lower impact compared to other sports. On the other hand, unicycle dismounts (planned or otherwise) involve impact.

How do people’s knees and other body parts hold up to unicycling?
(a) Short-term vs. long-term?
(b) While learning vs. once you’re proficient?

What are the most typical (non-trivial) injuries related to unicycling. With bicycling, for example, a broken collar bone can result in a crash.

1 Like

For planned dismounts work toward stepping gently off the back.

For me common injuries have been skinned knees and an occasional elbow. For road riding I normally wear knee and elbow pads and of course in the last year doing so I have not crashed once. Some have a problem with pedal bites to the lower legs and injured wrists.

This is a recreation of my most spectacular crash but resulted in no injuries. At 71 now with thousands of miles, unicycling seems to be pretty easy on my old body.

Here is a past thread on common muni injuries compared to mtn bike injuries.

1 Like

Jim, your recreation is awesome! I’m stoked to hear you’re going strong on the uni. You are setting an excellent example.

Interesting thread there on injuries, with ankle injuries figuring prominently.

In the context of this “oldies” thread…
I’m still interested in folks’ observations on how unicycling/dismounting has agreed/disagreed with their knee joints and osteoarthritis (OA).

1 Like

After a 36" upd (without pads :face_with_hand_over_mouth:) and a tumble on my right knee…
Some sort of torn acl or something very close.

I’m at about 75-80% now and have just got here. My summer was very little riding with just a little more in the fall.
I’m scheduled for an MRI in the beginning of Oct. so hopefully I’ll be a candidate for bionics.

I’ve had my 29" out a couple of times with the little bit of snow and the knee doesn’t bother me a bit.

It’s any other unstable activity that I worry about a re-injury.

With bad knees all of my life, I think unicycling has been one of the best things I did for them, my back, and overall fitness.

1 Like

I’ve had bad knees for a long time.
Two times surgery on my left knee for torn meniscus, before the age of 20.
Issues still weren’t solved completely so I just learned to live with it.

When I started unicycling at the age of 43 it was quite hard on the knees:

• In the very early days where I was pushing hard with front and rear leg to keep balance i sometimes got sore knees.
  • Then when I started riding off-road (perhaps a bit too early in my learning process) I frequently gassed out and would jump off the front, coming to a full stop, giving a lot of impact on my knees. I really struggled with hurting knees due to this for a while.

But after getting better (or less bad) at riding and thus jumping off less this issue completely disappeared.

Later, when increasing the distance, I sometime had a pain on the outside of the knee.
Most likely due to badly angled foot position (as seen with cyclists).
But also this disappeared with more experience.

Then I got the great idea of starting to run…
Because of unicycle stamina I could easily run 5 K in one go. Next outing 10k, and then 12K in an hour. After that 3r run my knee said “no” and I had knee issues for quite a while.
(Having good stamina does not mean that your body is conditioned for the impacts of running. )

With this bad knee I still did two (for me) intensive muni rides and then my knee was finished. I could barely walk for a couple of days after the 2nd ride.
Scans showed wearing and meniscus damage.

Had an endoscopic operation to clean up both meniscus in my right knee.
It took some months to recover but now my right knee is better than ever.
Two weeks ago I had my toughest Mui ride ever, including severe cramps but the knee did not bother me during and after.

My left knee is still “bad” but luckily does not bother me while riding.

But the crackling noise when walking stairs seems to get louder over time and if it would become a limiting factor in unicycling I would no longer hesitate to have it fixed by the same surgeon who did my right knee.

1 Like

Im very interested in hearing about this too.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing.

I am 0x47 years old (I always use hexadecimal for my age :wink:)… and my practice is mostly Muni…
Some time ago I started to notice problems with my knees ( a common ailment amongst unicyclists) + I just had an accident with a motorcycle that smashed a kneecap… So I started to focus on how I used my knees… and everything went smoothly … I noticed that climbing was a good thing because apparently my muscles were willing to protect the articulation… so now everything is ok! (but I still care a lot).