Lesser known unicycle brands?

That’s the beauty of the internet. Back in the days, this uni would have been given to a local kid, or dumped into the recycling bin (where a local kid could have picked it up). Now, everybody thinks any piece of junk is “a collectible” and puts a some stupid price on it…

HA! It does look like that! But I’m pretty sure it’s intended to represent a small child riding a small bike with (smaller) training wheels. That’s more in line with what Hedstrom made. Notice this unicycle is basically made of tricycle parts, and has one of the very worst “unicycle” seats I’ve ever seen (I’ve seen them in person).

That uni has a lot in common with the P.O.S. Troxel I originally tried to learn to ride on. 16" hard plastic tire, tricycle crankset (short cranks but very wide), nylon bushings instead of bearings, and that single bolt to attach the bushing holders on each side. :astonished: In fact, it may share some of the exact same parts.

This pic reminds me of the Mad4One 6pin interface they are making for Trial use (even though this unicycle is much older).

However, comparing pics makes it uncertain to be a match… :frowning:
http://unaruota.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_16&products_id=800

You can still have a look or contact unicycle shops that have been around for a while like Bedford unicycles. I was able to find Onza/KH cranks that nobody else is selling anymore for a long while.

You have all forgotten the company that brought us the first production Muni unicycle.

Pashley (UK)

Rick Hunter

Wow! I can’t believe no one mentioned Hunter frames and unicycles. Rick builds gorgeous hand made filet brazed frames with Profile hubs…

I have a Pashley. I was out riding on it today. Upgraded saddle, as the old one was awful. Now has a Nimbus saddle. Not a Muni and has an “odd” 28 x 1½ inch (ISO 635) wheel. This is actually a wheel size that Pashley continue to use on some of their bikes. I have a Pashley Guv’nor bike with the same wheel size.

Check out the cool kids on their Pashley unicycles:

The blue uni at the back leaning alone against the wall appears to be the same model as mine.

P.S. Image from https://twitter.com/Trad_Cycle_Shop/status/984473837206110208

I’d like to know if those kids are still riding nowadays!

It would be awesome if they were here in these forums and one of them said, “Hey, that is me!” :stuck_out_tongue:

24" Dirt Uni

I’ve been led to believe that this unicycle was commercially produced in eastern Oregon. The name DIRT UNI is on the frame. Other them this one that I bought I have not found anything about them. It is about 20 years old and seems to be quite well made. It has a Profile hub and 170mm cranks. The frame is steel and has an aluminum bracket to connect the forks to the seat tube. The seat tube is 27.2mm with a Fusion Freeride saddle. The tire is a 24x3 on an Alex DX32 rim.

Anyone heard or know anything about this unicycle?

The Dirt Uni looks like it’s pretty state-of-the-art for the early 2000s, like my old Wilder that I got in 2003. Handmade frame, Profile crankset, wide rim & tire. And brakes, which the Wilder did not support without frame modification.

That green uni with the funky spline also originated in Oregon, so it’s possible they are from the same guy. But the style is a little different. I wish I knew more about it…

Merida made 20 and 24 inch unicycles for a while. Seem to be hard to find now but I can find a couple of Norwegian websites that have them listed, e.g.

Also no mention of Surly and their Conundrum

Yes, they weren’t mentioned but I don’t know if that rises to the level of a conundrum. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh you! :stuck_out_tongue: