Learning Unicycle for Big Guy

Another good 45 minutes of practice tonight. I raised the seat up slowly. Then when it got a little too much, I dropped it down.

For the first time, I noticed that the section I thought was flat is actually slightly slopped. I’m getting comfortable enough to notice the less effort going towards the building and slower speed and more effort going away. Getting more sensitive to the wheel and inputs required, as I push the balance part more into the subconscious.

I did about as long of rides with no touching as yesterday, but much more in control. I’m slowly getting this. Slowly. Climbing up the stairs to the bedroom told me how tired my legs are. I keep saying sit down to myself, but sometimes it gets crazy and I forget.

Yeah, clinging to a rail makes unassisted riding seem impossible. Sometimes I even think it’s counterproductive. You get comfortable in your saddle, as if it were an easy chair, and the idea of falling becomes more and more terrifying.

If, on the other hand, you get away from the railing, then fall forward and start pedalling, unassisted riding will quickly start to seem totally feasible, even if you only manage to go one revolution or half a revolution. Falling forward will become part of your routine, and it will no longer scare you, and sooner or later (probably sooner) that one revolution will become many revolutions. Happy October!

I have been following your thread and just wanted to say Good on you for hanging in there and pushing forward. I can’t offer much in the way of advise as I’m still relearning to ride myself. just wanted to give you a thumbs up

I think that it would have been a good idea to get some hard bicycle miles in to build up the muscles first. I’ve been doing kayaking and haven’t been on a bike in over 4 years. So I’ve been building back up those muscles along with learning.

Yes and no.
Unicycle makes you use different muscles, or should I say makes you use the muscles in a different way.
So yes, cycling would help with stamina.
But no, you would still get sore legs and burning thighs.

Keep ridin’!

Spent about 45 minutes last night. Went until my legs were not really helping, due to fatigue. A few times I was able to get about 10 cranks free of anything. I found it much easier on the very slight downhill. To get the same motion uphill it required a good bit more lean, but I couldn’t keep it as smooth and only got 6 or so cranks before losing it.

I haven’t had a practice with no improvement, so that is nice for morale. I will have to drive around tomorrow and look for a good place to ride when I’m up north.

That sounds like real good progress. The next stage will be when you can do 20 or more cranks or metres even when you will feel cramped legs, coz ur trying with all might to keep balance, but soon thereafter you will learn to relax in the seat and that will go away as well.

I’m kinda bummed. I must have torqued my knee a little on Wednesday night practice. It has been sore and a little “loose”, like I’ve gotten with a sprain before. I’m being cautious with it, as it gives me problems at times. Hopefully, it will feel good enough to get back at it tomorrow. It isn’t a race. I could set myself out a month again, if I push it, and that would suck.

I grew up in Dunlap Indiana half way between Elkhart and Goshen and when I go back to visit I ride the pumpkin vine trail. I like the section between Middlebury and Shipshewana. It is so nice to have a flat place to ride instead on the hills here in Missouri.

http://pumpkinvine.org/trail-information/

I did the same the other night. As my kids were here to “get dad sorted on the uni” at the weekend I rested it for a day and then just rode along the fence so all I was doing was warming the leg up with no stress. 10 minutes of that and it was good again.

Must have worked because I managed a couple of hundred feet with some encouragement from my youngest - running alongside like my own personal coach!

Hope yours eases up. It gets easier - just don’t overdo it.

Yeah, I tried a few ride outs with using the back of my truck to get up and wasn’t doing so well. Feel like I regressed with only 2-3 cranks being my best.
I’ve been working areas of my knee that are filled with fluid. It feels OK, just a little stiff.

I’m back down to my trusty handrail tonight. I think I’m doing one more session there and just trying not touching much.

For your knees… RICE

Rest, ice, compression, and elevation.

I used Ibuprofen instead of Ice, but did the rest of the RICE. :wink:

How are you progressing Sacherjj? Can you already ride rail-free, now a week later?

Up-date! Up-date!

I was unpacking a storage unit this weekend and brought the uni for a little practice. I was shooting off for 2-3 cranks worth. I’m still having issues with my left knee. I started riding bikes, years ago, to help with knee problems.

I also got out the RANS Rocket I rode across the country in 2002, that has been unridden in 10 years. Rode it 1/4 mile before the ragged old front tire blew out (which looked like it was going to happen, so I kept it slow.) I replaced the front tire and rode that a little on Monday night.

If you want to see a bike setup that gets as strange of looks and comments as a uni, check this out: http://www.joesacher.com/blog/2002/05/19/day-0/ :wink:

My left knee has been bugging me and I’ve been working on strengthening it. I think some miles on the bike will help. I had set aside last night for some uni near the rail, but it never stopped raining.

So not a lot of progress this week, so far.

I’ll be swapping the rear derailleur, both shifters, chain and cassette tonight (this bike took a beating on my ~3400 mile trek fully loaded across the US). And if the weather holds will spend some time on the 20. I think slow riding will help work out the inflamed knee that I’m getting from the uni. And many of the cyclists out there that pass me will tell you, I’m good at slow riding. :roll_eyes:

A recumbent bike, huh? Well, tandem unicycles have been made (and ridden), but I’ve never heard of a recumbent one.

If you ever feel like riding across the US again, it has been done by lots of unicyclists, most of them on a 36" wheel, but not all of them.

I got into recumbents due to not being able to handle long saddle time. However, if I keep my 3 lbs a week weight loss, that might not be as big of a factor. I wish I could take off and do the country again. I don’t see 3 spare months in my future for a while.

But 8.5 miles to work could be eventually doable on a uni. I’m shooting for around the block first though.

8.5 miles to work could be eventually doable on a uni. I’m shooting for around the block first though.
[/QUOTE]

I agree. You have to walk before you can run.

I have about 4 miles to work, but such a small distance already makes me sweat a lot and without showers in the office, it isn’t really doable. Tried it once last year. Mostly drive to the forest after work and either ride on the cyclepaths or dirtroads or both.