Learning to ride on a Coker (Day 8-1 Mar)

HOORAY - I finally did it. :smiley: I rode all by myself with no means of support other than the unicycle. It’s about bloody time!

I had a good long talk with myself and realised that I was being a coward. If I could ride with one hand just touching the wall then I could darn well ride WITHOUT either hand touching the wall. Yes, it was scary, yes I was scared, but I just gave myself a virtual slap up the side of the head, put my weight on the seat until my crotch went numb, leant forward as far as I could go without kissing the floor (thanks for that bit of advice Kenny), pushed myself away from the wall so there would be no temptation to hold on and off I went! Nothing spectacular, no more than 2 pushes of the pedals, but I DID IT! Not just once, but a good few times. Each time I feel a bit more confident, and when I fall off it’s usually forward, which I hear is a good sign.

It did help that I put an old sock round the seat to stop me worrying about scratching it if it hit the floor (it didn’t, I fell off with enough control to grab it). It did help that I knew it was possible to ride the coker (I saw Dave doing it at the club last Thursday). It did help that I’ve received a ton of excellent advice from this board and from Dave.

What can I say? I feel GREAT! I know that this is just a start and that things will get better and better from here. Now I just have to work towards the day when I can ride as far as I want to, dismount when I want to, and mount without the presence of a wall, a car or a pole.

Now to try to calm down enough to get some sleep tonight.

Jayne

Congratulations! Sounds like you’re not far away from that magical moment…the unicycle learning curve is kind of funny like that. Lots of attempts, a few small breakthroughs like you just had, and suddenly you find yourself riding along for 50 feet or so…you’re well on your way! Keep up the good work, and keep the progress reports coming.

Chuck

Re: Learning to ride on a Coker (Day 8-1 Mar)

Oh, great. Now your kids can forget about ever having a decent cooked dinner or clean clothes.

Bloody shame.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Considering the short amount of time that you’ve been at it, you ARE doing something spectacular. Being as I’m still in the learning stages of riding my Coker, here’s a little friendly advice. Now that you’ve managed a “couple of pushes” of the pedals, try to acelerate a little faster. It’s a little scary on the big wheel, but I’ve found that a “rapid aceleration” of the pedals on the Coker seems to help to get it up to speed a little quicker so that it’s at a point where it feels more stable. My biggest problem was getting past that “dead zone” where it just didn’t seem to want to go forward.

Hmmm… let’s see… 36 inches is half a fathom … which is what, a couple of hundred rods? … convert to meters… times pi… carry the two… round to the nearest kilometer…

WHOA!! That’s a little more than a half mile!! :slight_smile:

Congradulations Jayne!! It took me months to ride that far.

Re: Re: Learning to ride on a Coker (Day 8-1 Mar)

What makes you think they get that at the moment? :wink:

I don’t know if this is the “authorised” method, but so far, when I’ve hit that point (admittedly only when using the wall or a friendly arm) I just rock backwards until I get the pedals into a “better” position and then I’m off again.

As far as distances go, I worked it out (yes I am a maths geek). The diameter of the wheel is about 91.44 cm. This gives a circumference of about 2.87m. I need to complete about 17.4 revolutions of the wheel to cover 50 metres which will mean that I can “officially” ride the coker. Round that up to 18, take two pedal pushes per wheel revolution, and I just need 36 consecutive pedal pushes to be legal. I’ll aim for that at the hall on Thursday. Unicycling is so much easier on a nice wooden floor. :sunglasses:

Jayne

Re: Re: Re: Learning to ride on a Coker (Day 8-1 Mar)

if u start at the stage, that means u should be squarely in the
ballroom dancers’ way by the time u’ve qualified
:stuck_out_tongue:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Learning to ride on a Coker (Day 8-1 Mar)

That sounds like a plan. You are hereby nominated to run in front of me and open the door into the ballroom dancing hall while yelling “Get out of the way - she hasn’t learned how to stop yet”. :wink:

Jayne

Re: Re: Re: Learning to ride on a Coker (Day 8-1 Mar)

Somehow I expected that would be your response. Nice going Jayne!

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ