Learning to ride on a Coker (Day 4-25 Feb)

Rain stopped at last. Bought a foot pump with a gauge. Pumped tyre up. BOY did that make a difference! Tyre is still a bit squishy once I climb on, but it feels less like I’m riding on melting jelly.

Shut dogs in garage. Seated 4YO in front of a video. Guaranteed no interruptions. It was just me, the coker and the wall. Leslie was in the basement playing miniature wargames with his friends who arrived an hour earlier than expected. I sailed on regardless.

What can I say - I still feel a bit like I’m starting all over again at the beginning of my practice sessions, but I get up to speed that little bit faster every day. By tomorrow I think I’ll be ready to leave the wall and strike out with just an arm to support me. I did have a metre or so of riding by myself, on the bit of paving between the end of the house and the start of the wall. It is really cool. I can’t wait until I can do that by myself all the time. I have to be doing something right as I’m not as exhausted as I was when I first started, and I feel like I’m keeping my weight on the seat better.

Anyway - tomorrow is the club meeting - I should get in more than 15 minutes then. I await a breakthrough.

Jayne

Jayne,
I think one of the most important things is to be sure to lean forward as the Coker starts to roll. For me, it seems to help with the momentum of getting the big wheel rolling.
Keep the faith, you’re doing great !!!

Kenny,
Thanks for the encouragement. It’s nice to know there’s somebody out there who doesn’t think I’m a raving loon for doing this.

I’m planning on getting to the hall early tonight so I have lots of space to play with all on my own. I know if I was 13 rather than 33 I’d be soloing by now. I have managed the odd metre or so unsupported, then cowardice takes over and I grab on to something. Maybe I should drink until I reach that “confident” stage and then try to ride? :smiley:

Jayne

I started learning just a couple months shy of my 50th birthday. The only thing about learning at a later age is that you don’t take as many chances as you would if you were 13,
While I still had my hand in a cast, I TRIED riding a friends MUni while at a party. I had imbided a little too much and was wearing cowboy boots. Let’s just say it wasn’t pretty :wink: :astonished: :astonished: :frowning:

that’s redundancy and repetition
:wink:

We’re all watching your progress and enjoying your reports, Jayne! Stick with it. Eventually people will start saying “Whoa!” when they see you cruising around.

Re: Learning to ride on a Coker (Day 4-25 Feb)

I learned on a 20", and the trouble I have with my Coker is that I lean
foward too much, expecting the uni to come with me. A Coker doesn’t change
speed or direction quickly. I think it’s easier to ride once you get going,
but I find it harder to get started.

Keep it up. I learned to uni when I was 43, a couple of years ago.

“Krashin’Kenny” <KrashinKenny@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>
wrote in message
news:KrashinKenny.1276q7@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com
>
> Jayne,
> I think one of the most important things is to be sure to lean forward
> as the Coker starts to roll. For me, it seems to help with the momentum
> of getting the big wheel rolling.
> Keep the faith, you’re doing great !!!
>
>
> –
> Krashin’Kenny - Crash Tested
>
> If you ain’t crashing, you ain’t going fast enough!!!
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Krashin’Kenny’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/30682
>

this question of age has been asked on different threads before

but right now I reached to a conclusion:
YES there is a difference due to age and it’s called “inner ear” aging

waiting for a scientific approach on this matter…

bear (who can’t stand 10 seconds on one foot with eyes closed)