Learning to ride on a Coker (Day 10-14 Mar)

Well, no riding on Friday or Saturday due to the rain. It started clearing up around lunchtime today and I managed to get in 2 15 minute sessions.

In the first session I carried on by myself with just the wall for support, in the second session I got my brother to lend a shoulder. It was so nice. I felt like I was finally making progress. I’ve stopped with the endless mount, ride length of house, dismount, turn around, repeat. Now I mount, ride length of house, turn myself around (with the assistance of a handy pole or windowsill) and carry on riding. It’s incredible how much more enjoyable it is when you’re not spending most of your time getting on and off the unicycle. :slight_smile:

I don’t think I’m emotionaly ready to solo just yet, but I FEEL GOOD. There was a moment there when I thought back to my first attempt on the Coker. Clinging on to the wall, digging my fingers into Leslie’s shoulder so hard I left bruises, wondering what had ever made me think I could manage something like riding a unicycle. Today I was gently touching Leslie’s shoulder, steadying myself on the wall every now and again, and actually managing a few house lengths with no wall contact at all.

The best thing - when I fell off it was mostly FORWARD! I did fall off backwards at the end of the session, but that’s just because I was tired. Then I got back on, held onto Leslie’s hand fairly gently (ie no screams of agony from him) and managed FOUR full pushes of the pedal. :smiley:

I know I’ve managed more actual riding today that I have for a while, as it feels strange to walk. I remember the feeling from when I was a kid and I’d spend the day rollerskating on the driveway. Going back to regular locomotion feels so odd.

Tomorrow I plan on dispensing with the wall and shoulder and just holding onto a hand. I might need the wall to turn round, but then again I might not. I know one thing though, I’ve either got to start going solo or I’ve got to trade my brother in for a sportier model. When I get some speed up I feel like I’m dragging him along behind me.

Jayne

Re: Learning to ride on a Coker (Day 10-14 Mar)

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:01:43 -0600, Jayne ZA wrote:

>going solo or I’ve got to trade my brother in for a sportier model.
>When I get some speed up I feel like I’m dragging him along behind me.

Indeed, your support should be at a half arm’s length ahead of you.
However, you seem to be almost at the point where no brother is
required at all.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Heck, even my toes were aching from trying to grip the soles of my shoes! - Tommy Thompson”