Learning To Ride at Age 50

Nice work Hector. Congratulations on your perseverence. I think once you get that N36 you’ll really get the distance bug. With semi-regular practice, being able to complete a 58 mile ride 15 months from now is very achievable. Work your way up slowly, increasing your distance over time. You should get to the point that you can ride two-thirds of the distance comfortably, i.e. make sure your training gets up to 40 miles by the month before the event. From there, the extra push and adrenalin will get you through the event.

Good luck!

Keep at it Hector! You can and will improve! I re-learned how to ride just a month prior to my 50th b-day, after about a 35 year layoff!:stuck_out_tongue: It has been the just about best thing I have ever done, and has literally changed my life in so many ways…all for the better!:smiley: I would recommend it to ANYONE, especially us old farts!

Listen to the man!!

Listen to the man!!.. Mr. Moore he the man!!

Wrist guards if nothing else. I think I’d go with elbow guards next. I stiff armed the pavement at college racing another guy. I left an perfect imprint of my waffle stomper where I came off and a 7foot streak of blue jeans jacket on the pavement where my shoulder hit and skidded after stiff arming the pavement my elbow didn’t stay locked and it snapped down and hit the pavement too!! I didn’t break anything but my wrist and elbow hurt for about a month even with the electo therapy.

I have been learning since the age of 53 … I am 58 now and still learning.
very slow learner but no despair: the joys of unicycling pay for the many, many falls and missed tries. keep going.
my practice of choice: Muni ! ah the joys of Muniing in the woods … time freezes and I am not ageing any more :slight_smile:
I am not a man of “challenge” but nonetheless I think I should do something for my 60th birthday next year … something enjoyable (not a 600km ride!) … any suggestion?

I was planning on a 60km ride on my 60th but didn’t train for it. I felt guilty that day so I just did a short ride around the neighborhood. 60km should be doable if you’ve trained for it and the terrain isn’t too hilly.

My wife and I signed up to do a century ride on bikes in September. They do have a 37 mile option. Maybe next year I should do it on a uni. I’d do it this year but I promised I’d ride with her.

I am humbled by your response and happy I was of assistance.

Learning to ride unicycles has been a life changing event for me. I would rather be out riding than sitting around watching television or spending vast amounts of time on my computer. I spend most of my riding time on my 29er and off-road on my 26" MUni. I ride almost every day, limited only by such things as the weather and yard work (and the number of pants that I am wearing out. I threw away another pair of shorts yesterday because I had worn a hole on the inside of the thigh).

Good luck on your 36". Your goals are absolutely greater than mine. I am happy to plod around for 6 to 8 miles in the evenings before it gets dark.

Hang in there!!

Shorts

From the shameless commerce division…

I created a coupon code (uni07) that will give anyone on this forum a 20% discount on some top quality Cannondale biking shorts. Free shipping in the US. For distance rides, they’re all I use. With biking shorts on the inside and more traditional shorts on the outside the pockets allow me to carry house/car keys, etc. We only have a few remaining pairs in stock. The coupon is good through the 31st.

unless the scenery is breathtaking I will die from boredom! that’s why I prefer Muni: the terrain is always changing (and I seldom get what I hate the most: “faux-plats” -that is something that looks flat but isn’t; my heart forgets to accelerate and I end up washed out-)

when i was ten year old my dad made a uni out of the front wheel of a tricycle. i learned to ride it on my own.the wheel did not last very long.so that was the end of my uni riding for 45 years.then i seen these road machines on the web.i had to get one.i went with the kh29 with the BA tire. if anything came back to me after all this time i could not tell.