Learning the 36 Inch Wheel

My two crashes were similar to this. I couldn’t figure out what I had done wrong. Suddenly (on flat ground) I was going too fast and crashed. One resulted in rib injury and the other just pride injury. I continued both of those rides wondering what I did wrong. I still don’t know. It felt out of my control, though that is nonsense. Now I fluctuate between the 125 and 150 cranks on the 36". I don’t have fear of falling, but I do not go fast. I tend to cruise about 9 or 10 mph because I want to be able to outrun a UPD. I go a little faster on my 26" Schlumpf because I’m lower to the ground and that helps (at least mentally).

How/when to use bars on a 36"

Just got my 36" today. It has handlebars. When and how do I start to use them? I went back to riding on a tennis court to learn and felt compelled to try and hold one bar but it didn’t seem helpful. Any advice? Thanks.

Most riders find that handlebars are helpful for allowing you to put some weight on them (reducing the amount of weight on the saddle), which can be welcome on longer rides. I also find I ride with less side-to-side wobble when I have both hands on the bars.

Don’t feel like you have to use them though. Bungeejoe rides huge distances on his geared 36" without handlebars.

Thanks David. Now I won’t feel obligated to make learning a 36" harder than it already is.

Exactly! My balance is still wide, if that makes sense. As I progress my balance gets narrower, but at this point I can only have one hand on the saddle grip. As soon as I try to grab it with the other hand then I have to let go with the one currently there.

I made a handle bar for the 36er out of an old 24" round crown frame, but I have taken it off until I am ready. Like you said, no need to make it any harder :slight_smile:

mbalmer–thanks for the comments. I guess there is nothing that hasn’t already happened to someone else, and it is good to know that I am not the only one struggling. But it is even better to know that you overcame it!

I’m guessing you don’t have brakes. Shorter cranks on downhills are scary unless you’re willing and able to let the uni “spin out”, but even then you can get going too fast. Brakes allow you to control speed and hence spin rate.

For instance, I run 170’s offroad and can pretty much control the 36er without brakes, but it would be nice to have them to help me hold position. I’m swapping out cranks for 165/135 so I can do some mixed riding and will probably order another set of brakes; only have two sets for three unis. I won’t ride hills on 135’s without brakes, that’s just to scary.

On my 26 guni I’m running 137’s and brakes. I use the brakes religiously, it just wouldn’t be possible to handle downhill tech stuff without them. On my 29er I run 160’s and brakes. I have ridden the 29er without brakes, and though it’s doable, it is hard and at times scary. This past weekend I raced the 29er for five hours, toward the end of which I started getting very tired and my brakes were weak, so I ended up crashed on a downhill when my legs and brakes together were not enough to slow me down.

Long story short, brakes make up for insufficient pedal control, either form weakness, fatigue, or lack of leverage. Brakes take some “getting used to” but they are well suited for certain applications.

Talk to Bryce for all your Magura brake needs :slight_smile:

Hey Bryan, aren’t you glad you kept the 36er? Now you need a 29er to fill out your stable :wink:

Hey Ben, I have the Nimbus Impulse, so I have the wonderful hydraulic disk brake that everyone raves about. I use the brake on the down hills, but I still need to build my confidence. I will just keep putting in the miles with 137 cranks until I get comfortable.

I just saw this from EinradOpa, nice vid and for those wondering what happens when you crash, here’s a good head on view.

Looking forward to the Forensic debate :slight_smile:

Cheers

James

I always thought banjo music would be a good match for 36er riding.
-Jrapp

This is me learning to ride the 36 last summer

1 Like

UniMyra,

It is nice to see another learner of the same age :sunglasses: It takes time to get the feel for the big wheel, and I am still not able to use the handle bar very well yet. Hope you are making good progress! Very nice Nimbus :slight_smile:

Hello NotSoYoungOne,

YouTube videos of people riding the 36’er was the reason I got in to unicycling. I got a 24" spring of 2010 to learn, and immediately got hooked. The most challenging for me has been to climb hills. It is difficult but great fun and very satisfying when I make progress. This fall I have tried some Muni as well which I really enjoy. I was surprised to find out how many people over 40 that were unicycling when I discovered this forum.:slight_smile:

I started in September last year and have done much the same as you, trying several sizes of unicycle and types of riding. I really enjoy the 24" around the neighborhood, and I did some very challenging Muni this spring and summer. I have also done a few kind of “big” rides on the 36er (nothing compared to many others out here on the forum though!).

When I first made an account here on the Community I thought it was mostly young people and that there would be few people over 40 (which is why I chose the NotSoYoungOne name), but I was wrong! :astonished: There are so many riders 40+, 50+, and even 60+ it is impressive.

If you want a fun thread for learners go to the Just Conversation forum and look for the Learning Journal thread. Keep posting your progress and I will do the same (here on this thread, on the Learning Journal, etc.). It will be a while before I get back on the 36er but I hope to be on the Muni during the winter.

Thinking of buying a 36er

Hi folks

I’ve been riding for almost exactly a year and am a total addict – why did I wait 51 years to shed a wheel and ride on one not two.

Most of the time I ride either a 24 Muni or a 29. I’m on the verge of buying a 36 but for some reason have the total jitters. I lay awake last night convinced that I’d either never be able to ride it or that I’d fly off and kill myself at the first attempt. We are not talking an idle musings here – this was the full on 3am sweats.

I don’t know any one that’s got or ridden a 36er – indeed I’ve never actually seen one in the flesh. Am I just looking for excuses or are those things real killers.

Ed
Ps any answer that puts me off will be ignored!

I’d say there are significantly more dangerous than the 20-29" range. I seem to have seen more posts on here reporting broken bones on 36-ers than on the other size wheels.

They go faster and, in UPD’s, the rider falls from higher, so, clearly, injuries will tend to be worse.

Often, in 36er UPDs, the rider hits the ground at a faster speed than they can run.

Finally, another injury which seems to be peculier to the 36-er, is where the rider comes off and the 36er does a ‘pecking’ action- usually the seat will peck the ground, but, occasionally, it hits the riders achilles tendon. I believe at least one person on this board ended up with a severed tendon from that?

Of course, serious injuries are in the minority, and, can happen on the smaller wheels- it’s just that they’re that bit more likely on the bigger wheel.

If it’s putting you off getting a 36er, you could consider getting a penny farthing for a while- they’re really lethal; then back down and go for the safer option of the 36-er unicycle :slight_smile:

I hate to dissuade anyone from taking up the wonderful world of riding a 36er but I would be remiss not to inform you that it is significantly more dangerous than riding my 26" MUni. I’m laid up right now with a knee injury and I might be out for the entire spring MUni season. The next time I get to ride either one, it will probably be so hot outside that you can’t stand it. Major bummer!

I often ride my 36er along side my wife (who runs) to protect her from abduction. I will be taking my 26" MUni from now on. She’s fast but nobody can outrun a geared 36er. I can use the 137mm hole in my cranks and enjoy hopping the curbs and riding the sidewalks (urban MUni) at a pretty good pace.

Will I ever get rid of my 36er? Probably not in this decade. I’m 43 now and my kids are growing taller everyday so they might one day enjoy it. By then, my old age might relegate me to a bke perish the thought. The whole reason I got into riding a 36er was to try and keep up with my bke friends which I can pretty much do on any incline or on flat ground. Of course they get to coast so they have to wait patiently for me at the bottom of big hills. I will be riding it in the Hike, Bike, and Paddle (they close the streets downtown for 1000+ b*kes and me to ride 15 miles or so) on Memorial and Labor days. That is a can’t miss. I am blessed to live near the 100 mile (90% funded, 30% complete) Louisville Loop and riding a car-free paved/sealed greenway is loads of fun. Anytime you ride with cars, you are putting your life at risk.

So what is it about a 36er that makes it more dangerous? Is it the extra 10 inches that you have to fall whereas you can simply step off the front (I try and make it a point to never try and catch any of my unicycles in a UPD as that is a good way to get hurt) a 26er? Well yes, in part, which is why I think MBalmer made a wise choice putting her Schlumpf hub in a smaller wheel with a slick tire. But, more than that it is the fact that pavement is harder than dirt. If we get that lightweight knobby tire they are bragging about on MTBR, I will try more off road but 99.9% of the trails in my area are rocky, rooty, and not at all conducive to riding a 36er or any wheel for that matter in high gear. In summery, the two major dangers are cars and road rash.

If you look at my albums you will see that I wear only the best protective gear and if you insist in going forward with your endeavor, I would highly suggest you do the same. Yes it’s hot and stinky but road rash sucks!

Oh, who am I kidding! As soon as my knee heals (to 100% functionality) I will probably be right back on my 36er like nothing ever happened. There is nothing like the feeling of the wind whipping thru your helmet riding a 36er at speed. Sweet dreams!

Why do those look to be the same size? ((or is it just me?)

36" unicycles are great fun. Do not let the critics dissuade you! However, you probably should wear some protective gear. I wear a helmet, good gloves (Hillbilly) and knee pads (Black diamond). I often wear elbow pads, but I think they are the least important. Get started with long cranks, 150 or 165 mm, and take it easy until you get a feel for it. They are great for cruising on the road, but I like the feel of it better with shorter cranks: 125 or less.

Have fun!

Scott

I have never thought of 36’er riding as dangerous at all. But I don’t have a geared hub and I stay away from cars (I only ride on bike paths). I have banged my knee a couple of times because I wasn’t paying attention, so now I always wear knee pads.

Those are the same size. His kh 36er and to the right which is now mine, a nimbus impulse 36er.

I may just be weird but I learned to freemount first day and thing I did when I got it. I tried using a wall and it didn’t work. So I just jump mounted it. Now I can do different types of freemounts. :slight_smile: