Learning Journal

Wow guys :slight_smile:
I’ve only been away for a few weeks and I’ve got loads of reading to catch up on.

Welcome to all the newbies :slight_smile:

Congrats to Animal Cage, THP and Unibiddy on the new additions. :slight_smile:
Unibiddy, you’ll soon get used to your new uni. I was using mine a few days ago trying to idle. The handiest thing about it is that I can just step away from it when I make a boo boo. My bum’s a lot nearer the ground :slight_smile:

THP your uni looks gorgous ! :slight_smile: I wouldn’t want to use that and risk getting it mucky :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been away on my hols so had some different uni rides. I’ve discovered that my 26” muni is way more fun going down hill on gravel dirt etc than trying to ride along the road. If only I could have the same uni with a smooth tyre :roll_eyes: .Don’t anyone dare suggest I swap the tyres over, I’d bu**er something up :wink:
Oooh, met a guy along a path who has a 20” and a giraffe in his attic…said as soon as his hols were over they were coming back down from the attic and being ridden :slight_smile:

Alucard

Thank you Alucard, it has been an amazing unicycle to ride! I was well aware that my previous unicycle was holding me back, but i literally broke every personal best for trials i have had to date in about 20 minutes… I can mount like a monster, and have even learned a second form of mounting. It is an incredibly stable platform for everything and i am extremely happy i bit the bullet and purchased it. Despite some set back on the order having some mix ups Pete at Muni.ca was excelent, and corrected it as fast as possible.

@ Alucard - Changing a tire is extremely simple

Step 1 - place unicycle in car
Step 2 - Drive to bike shop
Step 3 - Enter bike shop
Step 4 - Purchase Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5 and negotiate free installation for you.
Step 5 - Receive now changed unicycle
Step 6 - Wonder why you didn’t do it sooner

The maxxis hookworm has been an absolute blat to ride, it works well on every surface, except ice and deep mud… It does Muni VERY well and runs dead smooth!

I ride a hoookworm when ever there is no snow for muni and street it looses a ton of rotation weight and RR

: )

Rofl @ thp:d

Thanks for the tip! You’re right, I’ve noticed that I tend to want to rest at 6 and 12 since I feel safer with the 12 o’clock foot unweighted, so that I can step off any time I need to. I’ve read where people said they felt like they were “stuck to the pedals” and I’ve gotten that feeling with my feet at 3 and 9, with equal weight on both of them so that I couldn’t move either one. But I need to get over that, and hopefully I’ll start feeling more secure there with time and practice.

I’m going to take advantage of the rain and gloom today to recover and let my recent experience soak in. But I’ll work on that for sure next time out.

Come to think of it, it probably would go on more easily if you butter it up. Or, as THP suggests, butter up the folks at the bike shop so they’ll do it for you. Or did you mean something other than “butter” there? :slight_smile:

I’ll leave the fellow with the giraffe in his attic for someone else to crack wise about.

Welcome back, and hello!

Tim

:smiley: @ THP

LargeEddie :). Howdee, Yup, it was something a little stronger. :roll_eyes: I am not very good with changing tyres, I usually end up catching the inner tube and putting a hole in it.:frowning:

Maybe it’s a sign…keep the muni tyre on my 26” and get my 29” with my smooooooth tyre out of the attic and make another effort to ride it. Aye, sounds like a plan, give my 29” another try…:slight_smile:

Alucard

I just knew it wouldn’t gather too much dust…I’ll send some Starmix your way after your first five miler on the 29"…Incentivisation :slight_smile:

Oh jojoxie…oh…Haribo…yummeeeeeeeee. That’s like dangling a carrot on a stick.
It’s a deal :wink: Give me a few weeks, then I’ll forward my address.
I’d better get practicing…:slight_smile:

erm, is that 5 miles without a pud? or are puds allowed?

Is that like a UPD, or are you talking about something completely different?

Like Alucard, I regularly stop for a pud on longer rides - sticky toffee and custard is my favourite. I don’t like UPDs at all… :wink:

This helps me to maintain my trim, 200 lb figure coughs

Quick update, so that I’ll remember it as much as anything…

I had a small window of time this afternoon when there was a break in the rain and no other obligations that I couldn’t ignore, and I got out for about 30 minutes of practice on my glistening chrome Avenir. :slight_smile: I didn’t seem to have lost anything despite not having been on it since Saturday, and after 10 minutes or so I started finding that I could ride away from the wall for a couple of crank cycles. By the end of the session I still needed support to mount (of course) and usually one good touch to steady myself sometime during the first cycle. After that, I had enough momentum to keep going on my own for maybe 8 to 10 feet before bailing–on a good try.

That’s still a long way from being ready to call myself a uni rider but it felt like a good step forward. Particularly so after three days stuck inside thinking and reading about it but not having a chance to actually do it, worrying that it might turn out to be something I just tried two or three times and gave up on. But no, I’m still at it.

You’ll be riding in no time! It’s easier from here on. Almost there…

– UniT

Alucard :slight_smile:

Eddie, keep at it! Its tough to think of yourself as a unicyclist and not just someone who can ride a unicycle. One day, you’ll be out and about, and it’ll hit you!

I had that moment today when I dared take my 36er on a busy road. So far its just been the street in front of my house, or a nearby park. Today, I made the mental leap into the real world. There’s risk, but the reward is great. This same ride took a lot longer and a lot more effort on my 24. I felt entirely comfortable and capable today. It was only 1.5 miles, but the door to road riding has been opened. Its almost magical.

UniTographer it was great seeing you out yesterday and you are doing well. :slight_smile: I cant wait to see if some of those photo’s that you took came out.

Davey

Helllooooo Animal Cage!!! :smiley:
And Everyone Else!

I’m here to report that I just logged over 2 miles on my 24".
About time!!! But I’ve done it. Finally!

2.18 miles
27 minutes. Non-stop.

So Way to Go Animal Cage!
A 36!!!
That is what you’ve been needing/wanting for over a year now!
I’ll bet you will be climbing tons of hills with it in no time!!!

Great to see you here!

Happy Riding Everyone!

Congratulations Martha, that’s a goal well beaten :slight_smile:

Next weekend you’ll be able to do that distance in under 25 minutes and feel like doing it again:D

Hope you aren’t planning to get a 36 too? :astonished:

Me too - the fun of film!

Learning how to freemount that 36er of yours was a blast. Sadly it was like throwing gasoline on a fire though, and now I’m seriously thinking about where I’m going to be storing my 36er when it gets bought :slight_smile:

– UniT

Hellooooo Martha!!!

Well well, 2 miles, you say?? OUTSTANDING!!! I’m so glad you never gave up from disgust, disillusionment, or dishealth. You are truly an inspiration, the quintessential “If I can do it, anybody can” unicyclist! Impressed and inspired doesn’t begin to describe…

I’m loving my 36er! It was my goal from the beginning, why I bought the 24 to learn on, why I ride. I always said the 24 felt squirrely underneath me, just not enough substance to feel comfortable. I still have some getting used to on the 36, but I knew from first mount this was what I was built for. Riding home yesterday was a breeze, where the 24 always felt like work.

Life is good :slight_smile:

So when do you get yours? :astonished: