Learning Journal

Sorry to ask a question that has probably been asked several times before but I have made many uses of the search button and this (old) post is the first one that seams to confirm that a schlumpf hub can be mounted on a nimbus 29 road frame.

The schlumpf hub I’m talking about has a serial number like this: M 06XX
I don’t know much about schlumpf hubs but I guess it means that it’s a muni schlumpf hub.

Can anyone confirm that this hub fits a nimbus 29 road frame or will I have to afford a KH frame?

Yesterday I made it up a particular hill for the first time. Not technical, but very steep. It felt really good. I was concerned that I’d plateaued in the climbing department, but this proved that I’m still getting better. I think a couple things contributed to making the climb:

• The prior day, I rode XC with moderate hills on a 29" with 150 mm cranks; yesterday I was back to the 26" with 165 mm cranks; sort of like taking the ankle weights off.
  • I'd been using very aggressive pinned pedals (Deity) for the last 6 months on my mUni. I went back to the stock Nimbus pinned pedals; this helped, I think, get my feet in a better position while climbing.
  • I went back to my 5/10 impacts yesterday. They're totally falling apart, but the soles are supportive, and my arches don't hurt when I wear them. Time to apply more super glue to my 5/10s or get another pair.
  • I've been practicing climbing since I last encountered that particular hill, which was a few months ago.
  • Finally, I've had the good fortune to ride with amazing climbers; they've shown me what's possible in the hill climbing department. Shout outs to Jamey and Augie!

Happy Birthday Alucard!

[B]
Happy
Birthday
Alucard

8-)[/B]

Check this out Alucard

For what it’s worth I can +1 all day about the Nightfox. Back in the day I went from only having ridden a 20" to a Nightfox with 114mm cranks. It was about a week to make the adjustment but it was so worth it.

For context, I’m 5’6" on a good day. By most people’s standards I’m pocket-sized. And if I can figure out how to zip around on a Nightfox, you (and everybody else in the unicycling world) will have zero issues whatsoever.

Long time no ride

I haven’t ridden for so long! Time to get back in the saddle, and start learning again. I can still ride, but wow am I weak and shaky :frowning:

Sure fun to see this tread still alive and active after all this time :sunglasses:

Looking forward to jumping back in the saddle, and into the discussion with ya’ll.

Great accomplishments, and really well documented. Thanks for sharing :smiley:

Other than the obvious need to get off my butt and start riding and get my legs, back and other core muscles strong again, any specific tips on hill climbing technique?

Hey, great to see you here again! I read through this whole thread when I was learning to ride almost three years ago, 100 pages of it by then, and you were definitely a model for me. Thanks for getting it started. I think a lot of the folks you’ll be asking for help started riding a long time after you did, which seems slightly strange for some reason, but it’s very cool that you’re back in the saddle. I’m sure it’ll come back to you quickly.

This is an excellent thread for any beginners out there.:wink:

Thanks, vertigo - I found this and dudewithasock’s one.

36 finally

Finally bit the bullet and got a 36. (KH with disc brake)

Discovered I had no problems mounting at all which was surprise. The Zero seat seems to work, at least better than my old Freeride but then I never did do much adjusting with that. All told things went swimmingly, so after 6 and a half hours in the last week and half I decided to put on the Quax bar I got with it.

Oh dear, mounts went completely to pot. Just didn’t feel good right from the start. Once riding I had a minor problem due to my lack of technique,perhaps, which makes the Quax bar a non starter for me, sad. ( had a part of it rubbing my thighs) I did like the loop type handle though. Did two and a half hours with it today and the mounts never really got better, and the seat got pretty hard too by the end.

So I’ve taken off the handle and will see if I can get the relaxed carefree mounting back. Be interested to see if it’s just related to the weight and feel of having a handle or the fact that I have had a hard weekend. Will probably try the KH handle next weekend.

So overall impressions of the 36 size so far, feels much the same as my 29. Didn’t take much time to get the feel of it and as I said mounting sans handle was basically a breeze. I’ve never been particularly competent on the mounting front so that was a relief.

Cheers

James

(Just a little bit of thread revival:)

Do you have any previous experience riding with handle bars? If not, I suggest putting the Quax bar on a smaller unicycle (24/26/29") and starting from there. Or, spend some time practicing mounting and riding with one or both hands on the plastic seat handle of your 36" … as a kind of transition to riding again with the touring bar. In order to achieve 36er distance riding, you are going to eventually need some sort of bar setup.

I recall reading a few other posts where riders complained about hitting the Quax handle with their knees. My favorite setup uses the Nimbus Shadow handle. It is very rigid; that makes it more responsive, which, IMHO, is a good thing. The Quax handle looks like it has a lot of “give”.

Good luck!

Hiya krjames…I think you and I were beginners around the same time :). Congratulations on getting yourself a 36er…In my experience it is best to ride without a handle for a while…the handle wagging from side to side was a distraction for me at the beginning. I love the handle now after three years or so…my mounting is still a bit patchy though :astonished:
Have fun, Joseph.

Hey krjames

Congrats on the new addition :). Have fun !
Looking forward to some photo’s.

Alucard…

I’m trying to build up a 26” wheel but I think my spokes might be too short.
It’s the rim and frame I used for my short lived Schlumpf hub. It will be snazzy when it’s done.
I’m selling my 36” as I’m just looking at it and not riding it. It’s too far for me to fall off. I’m drooling over the 32” though, and the 27.5’’ but it’s always out of stock, which is just as well cos I can only have the one.
I’m doing most rides on my 26” Oracle as I like being nearer to the ground and can freemount 99% of the time. So I’ll have a 26” for rough ground and a 26” for smooth, save changing tyres all the time.
Okay, I love my 29” but when I’m wobbly legged it’s not as easy to freemount. Freemounting drops to about 40% :o
Speed doesn’t matter anymore as I don’t seem to ride with other folks now so it’s more just comfort riding.
Plus I’ll need 2 x 26”s for when 57Unirider and I ‘do’ the prom.

Nice to hear from all the other riders out there. I stopped unicycling completely the last 3 years, but… have to remount again :slight_smile: It’s the best time now, because it gets dark early so no one will see me trying to ride again;)
wait and see…

Thanks for the support.
I have been riding the 29 with a KH bar for about 4 years so it was more just a surprise at how merely putting the bar on made a big difference. I did run a half course the day before but I don’t think that was the issue.
Alucard, sorry to hear that you don’t have company. It is a lot more fun which I suppose is why we go to races and such like. I’ll be off to the Seoul ultra in a fortnight, only be doing the 50km though. Running (and riding, I imagine) a 100km is really fun if you are prepared, if not I can’t think of anything worse to do, that’s the voice of experience…

Ordered a new KH bar because I can’t be bothered taking the bar off the 29. Suppose I should sell the 29 in truth. I have managed to loan out my 24, to my Korean teacher from last year, I learnt a little Korean and he learnt to ride :slight_smile:

same to me! I stopped riding since … 4years now?!
I have to restart this winter - when it comes dark and cloudy… so no one can see me falling from my uni :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, you will UniBud!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Hey Ho!

Hello Alucard, krjames, jojoxie, NotSoYoungOne, and all.

Hi guys :slight_smile:

Well, I’ve done something I’ve been meaning to do for 3 years !

Back in Sept 2013 we went up to Edinburgh as Bobbs had a job that day at the Forth Road Bridge site.
I walked across the bridge, it was a bit wobbly. I thought I’d like to ride that on my unicycle as it would be “One for the album”

So I finally did it last Friday.
I was on my newly built 24". I had a wide muni tyre on it but it didn’t really seem to affect my riding. The tyre was pumped up high and I just went for it.
I had to walk some of the way. It’s 1.5 miles long, so guess I rode about 2 of those miles. I felt comfy as I didn’t have far to fall of my unicycle. There is also a rail all the way that I used to freemount.
I felt a bit self conscious cos I stuck out like a sore thumb, but carried on anyway. A group of cyclists passed by and asked where my other wheel was :roll_eyes:

It was the first time out for my new saddle as well. A Nimbus stadium. The seat area feels narrower than my usual KH saddles, and it’s thinner. Ah, and harder. When I got to the other end of the bridge I adjusted and tuned the nose up just a tad. That was better, I felt more settled in. Even though the seat feels hard at the mo, I think it will soften and it might become my favourite seat. It feels ‘just right’ IYSWIM.

I also had new pedals. These are wellgo foldng pedals. Absolutely no use for muni as everytime I UPD the pedals folded. But they are very robust and great for if you’re just riding on easy rides. I got them to put on my 20" unicycle which I’m leaving in the hallway so I may be tempted to practice more.

So, I’m quite chuffed that I did that ride.
And on saturday I took my 24" to the flying field. While Bobbs flew his model planes had a few little goes riding about on the soggy grass. I am one for always wearing my safety gear but this time I didn’t even have my unicycle shoes !
I had bog standard walking boots. Which was handy as the heels gripped the pedals quite a few times and stopped UPD. No helmet, no shinpads, ah, did have gloves though. I feel as if I have gone through a pschycological barrier, being able to ride without gear. mind you, it was grass !

No biggies, just happy to report I can still ride a unicycle :):slight_smile:

Elaine

Forth Road Bridge.JPG

ride out.JPG