Learning Journal

Yes, Happy birthday, Alucard. Hope you were able to celebrate by riding.

pierrox I have the same experience. This week I’ve been riding my 24" on small hills (in the street) and when I switched to my 29er [150mm cranks] this weekend my control digressed. I have a Big Apple tire. I thought about changing to the Hookworm but it sounds like I’d have the same problem.

At this point I have a love/hate relationship with my 29er. I like going faster but it’s so much more work to control when conditions are not perfect [no wind and absolutely flat pavement]. I’m toying with the idea of getting a narrower rim because the dominator 2 might be too wide for road riding. I hesitate though because I’d hate to put $ and time into it and get no benefit.

I guess I’m just not strong enough yet to get total pleasure out of my 29er.

krjames … wow you’re doing a great job with your 20". I’m tempted to get an Equinox after I master idling on my Torker LX. It’s fun to play around on the small wheel when it’s too wet to hit the road on larger wheels.

Happy birthday Alucard!

Vertigo and Pierrox: I ran a Hookworm for a while on my 26" muni with a wide Kris Holm rim and while it was great for learning muni it wasn’t so fun on pavement for me either. It tried to tell me where we were going to go unless I pumped it up really hard, and then it seemed to want to bounce more than roll. :slight_smile:

OTOH, I have a CST Cyclops–Cheng Shin Tire’s other brand–on my 24" Sun with the stock rim that’s maybe 32 mm wide and it’s a different story. (Pierrox, that’s the one you rode last summer.) I never worry about air pressure and it always rides and handles great. I know it’s not a perfect comparison, but it’s gotten me thinking along the same lines as Vertigo, that maybe the tire needs a more rounded profile on pavement, especially one with smooth tread that grips really well. And maybe also with a larger diameter, which also flattens out the contact patch.

Meanwhile my 700c with the 26 mm wide rim keeps rolling along. If there’s any that I feel “at one with” that would be it.

And yes, a 20" unicycle is just the thing for a chilly winter evening. I had both of mine out last night in fact. I got the farthest I’ve gotten hopping up my hilly driveway on the Impact and also practiced idling on it, and I did some hill repeats out in the street on my Avenir with the 89 mm cranks, which was crazy and challenging but fun. (As much as people say about rolling inertia, the lack of inertia with a small wheel and light tire seemed to make it harder. It’s nearly the same gear ratio as my 700c with the 127s, but it really wanted to stall out in mid-stroke while the pedal is coming over the top.)

I also played around a little bit with doing rolling free mounts onto the 700c. I’m starting to think a little bit about getting a 36" when my two year moratorium ends next month, and free mounting onto one of those is what everyone talks about. It didn’t take too many tries to work out a rolling mount with a three-step approach. I’m sure it’s a whole different story on a the bigger wheel. But I’m at least optimistic that a couple of years practice, and my very frequent UPDs and re-mounts while riding muni, might help a little.

OK, out into the sleet and freezing rain now for my first #31milemarch ride!

My experience with the Hookworm is exactly as LargeEddie describes, although on a 20" wheel. The Odyssey Chase Hawk is a lot like the Hookworm, but for some reason it doesn’t make you dance the Twist when you ride on cambered pavement, even though you’ve still got that slick round tire that can handle 100psi if you want. The Chase Hawk is also 2.4" thick -significantly fatter than the Hookworm- so it’s much better for hopping, but at lower pressure, of course.

My next tire is waiting to be put on- an Odyssey Mike Aitken 2.45x20. I have a feeling I won’t like it as much as the Chase Hawk because it has some tread, but I couldn’t resist trying a tire that is supposedly even fatter.

The problem is the {expletive removed} Hookworm. How this tyre ever got its reputation as a suitable slick on unicycles bewilders me. Its camber thrust on larger wheels is enormous to the point of being dangerous.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a second hand KH 26 muni. It came fitted with a near new 26 x 2.5 Hookworm.

I use a Hookworm on my 20 inch uni and love it so I was expecting a pleasant ride on the road with my new uni. I have been riding a 24 inch LX Torker for about ten months so I didn’t expect any problems moving up slightly in size to a 26.

From the first mount it was a struggle fighting the camber thrust. I usually start by riding out from the kerb outside my house but the uni took off down the hill before I could get stabilised. I had to go down to a flat part of the road to mount.

On my 24 inch I am quite adept at riding on steep camber because I mostly ride on footpaths (sidewalks) and must cross many steep driveways.

I was caught out quite early in my usual track when I crossed a sloping side road that is usually a non issue and is certainly not nearly as steep as other side sloping obstacles I normally cross later in the circuit.

The uni instantly took off down the slope. I came off (beyond what could reasonably be called a UPD) and got a badly bruised ankle for my trouble, hence the faux expletive above.

On the way home I rode through shallow water on concrete and went into a slide, something I had never experienced before. I have ridden my 24 through much slipperier conditions without ever having a loss of traction.

Being a large tyre I had the Hookworm at 35 psi. I understand that camber thrust can be reduced with more inflation but the sliding experience didn’t encourage me to take it to a higher pressure for an even smaller contact patch.

Instead I decided to go with the tyre equivalent to what I use on my 24 inch and ordered a Maxxis DTH 26 x 2.15. I waited for it to arrive while my bruised ankle healed a bit.

To make an equivalent comparison I put 35 psi in the DTH. It performed very much like the DTH on my 24 inch with very little camber thrust. Having taken my pump with me this time I then put it up to 45 psi and enjoyed the ride.

Camber thrust is caused by the sideways displacement of the tyre where it is forced to roll straight as it reaches the contact patch. A tyre with low camber thrust allows the tread to distort without a large reaction force.

The profile and stiffness of the tyre strongly affects the camber thrust and everything about the Hookworm’s design increases it.

I highly recommend the DTH on hard surfaces including loose gravel over hard surfaces. Note however that it has thin sidewalls so beware if you ride on large sharp rocks. Definitely not for grinding.

I have never lost traction on the DTH. It is also significantly lighter than the Hookworm. It wears quite well for a lightweight tyre.

My advice. Put the Hookworm on a bicycle. Look for something with a more sophisticated design than what is effectively little more than the dumb lump of rubber you get with the Hookworm.

I expect pretty much anything would be better than Hookworm on a unicycle. Unfortunately there does not appear to be a DTH for 29 inch wheels.

On a 29, the Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35 has that same sideways pulling problem, or so I’ve heard, but on my 29, the Big Apple 2.0 works perfectly.

Vertigo, I think we’re on the same page with the 29", you’re describing it perfectly. It’s a love/hate relationship. I would love to love it, yet it’s not possible. Time will help I’m sure, but there is a frustration that makes it less enjoyable than the 24". But when I see the potential in town, I’d really like to enjoy the benefits. I’ve started to work on retraining myself on road riding, it’ll take time I’m sure, but for now I should do laps on the running track nearby - flat, hardly any camber (it has a tiny bit weirdly enough, probably to avoid water staying on when it rains) and no holes or unexpected obstacles.

Thanks for all your feedback on the Hookworm. I wish that info had come before, because I went for it after reading that thread. Which says the opposite…

I come from a Big Apple 2.5 on a KH 29" (rim is 47mm I think?), and that had the camber issue too. Though, as I suspect, a lot of my camber problem is my own fault, not the uni. I could go out for more tire shopping (becoming an expensive experience…), but I have no idea what I should get. Big Apple 29" 2.0? There isn’t a consensus on that tire either.
Uni came with the original Maxxis Ardent (2.4 wide I think), how’s that on pavement? Might try to put it on, pump it up and try on the streets.

Ha
the 29 is a great size but it is, for us anyway, a road wheel and that to my mind does mean we have to put in the hours. I find if I haven’t ridden it for three or four weeks, the first half hour or so isn’t very confortable as for some reason I’m hesitant to put my weight on the seat.
Strange thing for me is that even after 4 years, I can still have mounting problems. The only practical solution every time for me is to lower the seat 10mm until the problem goes away then put the seat back up. Obviously a head job, but I have no idea how to eliminate it once and for all.
Did go down to the track and have a practice session with the 29 this evening. I do 5 laps, then put my 20 cones did a bit of slalom and then 2 laps, repeat 5 times. Pack and do 5 more laps and brave the traffic going home :smiley: I was on the track because I’m have mounting probs at the moment. :frowning: When I do the slalom I stop at each end, (practicing dismounting properly) and then remount, sometimes after 5 or 10 goes… But it was a good blast, just over an hours riding and wasn’t hit by any of the baseballs and soccer balls flying around :smiley:

I liked Alucard’s description of everything, especially the ground, appearing farther away when wearing glasses, that’s an excuse I could have been using for years :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers

Pierrox, perhaps my trouble with camber isn’t caused by the Big Apple 2". I suppose I’m a camber wimp on a 29er but I’m not giving up. It does get better the more I ride it … just not as easy as the 24".

After much research I’m tempted to try a Velocity Blunt SS 36h rim. Not sure when I’ll do it though.

Hi Guys :slight_smile:

Ta very much for the best wishes.
I didn’t get to unicycle yesterday but did have a good day out with my OH, my Mum, my twin Sis and her OH, and no one told any jokes about unicyclists :wink:

KR I too still have problems mounting my unicycle. Sometimes it’s something silly like a long baggy jumper getting in the way or too much stuff in my front pockets…
At the moment I have my seat at such a weird angle that it catches on my tummy as I try to freemount. And I’ve developed a nasty habit of freemounting and then rding off without my bum on the seat for a few revs. Don’t know where that came from…:o

hey ho, practice, practice
I’m now getting the hang of slowing down without falling off :slight_smile:

Keep at it gang !

You’re on a 2.0 Big Apple? People seem to say it’s ok with camber. Sounds like my experience of it, just seeing the camber makes me tenser, and probably doesn’t help. What I’ve learned about unicycle, is that a lot has to do with letting-go. The more you let it drive, and the less you try to control it, the easiest it becomes. Strange paradox as it’s still involves rather technical skills to ride those.

Put my Ardent tire on the 29" today, pumped it to 35psi and went for a ride with the 150mm. Felt a little bit better with the side slopes of the road - though it could be completely psychological, but I don’t care. I was twitching quite a bit and not enjoying it too much.

Rain forced me for a pit-stop, whilst I was waiting, I decided to switch back to 125mm. After all, I was doing not so bad with those last summer. Rain cleared (a little bit), and I instantly preferred that setup. Rain came back and forced me home, but now I’m pretty positive I can get better at tarmac riding. It’s as always… a matter of time in the saddle. And concentrating on what I’m doing.

peirrox sorry the Hookworm didn’t work out but I’m glad to hear the crank change helps. I like 125mm cranks better than the 150mm cranks when I’m riding fairly flat trails.

I think the Hookworm got it’s reputation from folks that use it on their 24" wheels. Perhaps because there are limited options for wide slick tires … at least that’s what I think. I have one for my 24" mountain unicycle but haven’t changed it out yet. It will be interesting to see if I have trouble on that one.

Yeah I’m on a Big Apple 2.0" with my 29er. I often have trouble with camber when the paved trail/street slant down from right to left. It seems worse when conditions are not so great. That can be when it’s too windy, I’m tired and/or not familiar with the route. My conclusion is that I need to develop more strength to control my riding from the hips. And I need to relax :wink:

Funny, I do the same thing. When I’m riding in town, I always aim at the sidewalk on the left side of the street, as it slopes toward the road, therefore left-to-right. Don’t like the sidewalk on the other side.
I think - it’s a theory - that being right handed in life, (and my right foot being the dominant one), I tend to control the uni with my right leg a lot. Therefore have trouble on side slopes. Anyway, got to learn transferring control to the hip, and the core too. Legs should just provide the forward motion, not the balance.

I have one on my 20 inch and it is great. After my bad experience on the 26 inch I tried the 20 inch at 15, 30, 45 and 55 psi. I had no problems with camber thrust at any inflation.

I managed to get out for a ride on the 26 with Maxxis DTH 26 x 2.15 again late this afternoon. (I really tried to analyse a lot so I UPDd a lot too.)

I got some great insights into camber thrust and how it is affected by various factors.

I want to digest my observations and talk to a very experienced motorcycle racer friend before I put something to the site. I will link from the relevant threads including this one when I work something out.

BTW My motorcycle racer friend is bound to have insights. Most of what I know about motorcycle dynamics came from him. We talked about unicycling one night a few months ago and the next morning he said he had laid in bed afterwards for some time thinking about unicycle dynamics. His comments showed he really knew his fundamentals.

He also said that he was really impressed that such a skill could be learned once he had analysed the challenges involved in keeping a unicycle stable, especially over sloping terrain.

“7:47 am: On FedEx vehicle for delivery KERNERSVILLE, NC”

Yeah! Almost there! Now you’re really “LargeEddie”.

Thanks, Vertigo. In fact the FedEx truck pulled up just as I was getting ready to make that last post, so I already had it by then although still in the box.

Just finished my first ride. I hadn’t thought about it until I got ready to climb on, but I started riding my 26" muni and 700c road wheel in the summer of 2013. This was my first time dealing with a new larger size in quite a bit more than a year, and also my first time using pinned pedals and a handlebar. I totally take for granted being able to ride the ones I have at this point, and it was a different feeling being a novice again.

I took it one small step at a time, practicing next to a wall for a few minutes, then working up to mounting off the curb in front of the house, and setting off after 15 or 20 minutes for an uneventful little ride around the neighborhood. Once I was back home I worked up to a static free mount after a dozen or so tries with gradually increasing degrees of commitment. It definitely takes more effort to get up there–really more effort to do everything on that wheel size–but I think with practice and riding time I might be able to rely on it with a fair amount of confidence.

But definitely it’s a different feeling like everyone says. I could feel the exertion even after just a short ride, though I’m sure some of that was from doing something new and still being tense. The thought came while riding along that it’s a little more like riding a bicycle, with 20+ pounds of machine underneath me to think about. It doesn’t flick around the way other unicycles do, but I get how it could be very nice for longer rides on the open road where you just roll along.

Anyway, thumbs up so far. All in all it was a successful first outing. And nice work setting it up as it is, LanceB! I’m very glad to have it.

I’m really glad it went to someone who will enjoy it, Tim! I thought it was a great ride (I just liked the geared 32 a little better), and it has a great history (Jim “Munivision”, who I got it from, rode in on the “Ride the Lobster” epic a few years back).
I got my wheel parts today as well, so hopefully I’ll be riding my new 24" before the weekend’s out. Thanks mucho for my new frame!
Cheers!

Cool to see that you’ve got your 24" muni built up, Lance, looking good and all ready to be beaten and bashed without mercy at Moab. :slight_smile:

I took the Coker out for a second ride today, just under three miles including more hills that yesterday, and I’m starting to get a feel for how it’s going to react in different situations. I hit one stretch that was uncomfortable and bordering on scary: through a right-hand bend on a fairly steep downhill section, with the street banked into the turn enough that I had to fight just to keep from going to the left. To actually get around the turn, my upper body was twisted so much that I might have been better off riding side-saddle. :slight_smile:

But I made it through without dismounting. I remember also having some awkward moments early on with my 700c through there, so maybe that will get more comfortable as I ride it more.

I also played around with free mounting for just a few minutes; nothing too serious, mostly getting up on the pedals and hopping right off without really trying to ride away. Until I’m very close to 100% success rate with curb mounts, free mounting won’t be a big concern for me, and I’m not nearly 100% on that yet. But the rolling mount seems like it might take a lot less effort than a standing static mount, based on a few tentative attempts.

Anyway, it was a nice enough day once the rain stopped and tomorrow should be better. I’m having fun and not getting hurt so that’s all positive.

Sounds like you’re a natural! You’ll be doing 50-milers and centuries before you know it!

I think you’re right about rolling mounts. They always work best for me.

cheers!