learnig times

I’ve been reading posts for a few months now and noticed that most people that learn start by leaning against something or someone. Is this the preffered way to start off? I was just wondering cause me and my friend started by freemounting first.
once the mount was accomplished (about an hour of trying) then the riding came really fast. Both myself and my friend were able to go for 2 - 3 kim rides with very few upd’s. I was just curious about this.

“It smells like Otto’s jacket” Lisa

Hi!

I think your learning time was pretty fast. It took me probably 30 hours just to get to where I could go forward 20-40 feet, but not reliably. Then I used a street sign to hold myself up and I just used John Foss’ advice (and others as well) and “put my weight on the seat” and I quickly improved from after the 30 hour mark.

However, I still can’t freemount “right” … I can’t do the forward mount most people do. It’s no problem when street riding … I can do a “rollback” mount just fine, and it works great, even on hills. It really tears me up when doing off-road. I waste all my energy in the first hour stubbornly trying to rollback mount on the trail, when i should just use trees to “cheat” to save energy.

I need to learn that darn forward mount but I have failed after many attempts.

My point in talking about me when I should be talking about you? It seems to me that you are kicking serious butt. I’m a very slow learner for anything physical … always have been. You are ruling, by the sound of it. Emjoy it, you’re doing great!

Lewis

Hey, Lewis. I sometimes have trouble with the same mount. I often immediately turn sharply when mounting without a rollback. I found a trick to escape both of these that I often use when mounting in a rock section. (I mount with my left foot on the pedal and down at the bottom). As soon as I put my right foot on and start to push, I hop up and backward (sort of natural with the with most of the weight on the down and slightly back pedal.) When I hop, I naturally then bring the cranks to a parrallel to the ground position and land in track stand/ hopping mode. I don’t know if this makes sense, but it works really well if you are pretty good at hopping.
-gauss

Gauss,

I’m not great at hopping. I can bunny hop, and rotate my angle while doing it, but I cant really mount into a hop without doing the rollback. :slight_smile: Heck I cant even do the normal forward mount on the street. I can do it on my 29" cycle because its slower to roll initially but I’ve never done it on a 24" or a 26".

Still, I will give your technique a shot if I can figure out what you mean.

Thanks,

Lewis

Re: learnig times

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:16:46 -0500, spickydoo
<spickydoo.avqjy@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>started by freemounting first.

Interesting observation. I think the reason why most people learn
riding first and then freemounting is that it feels more comfortable.
Also - but this is exclusively a logical argument - a freemount is
only successful if you ride out of it, so how can you freemount if you
can’t ride?
Anyways, congratulations on your quick progress. If you get to teach
others to ride, why don’t you suggest your sequence to them and keep
us posted about the results?

Klaas Bil

If you had this signature, I have forged it.

Re: learnig times

In article <Animation.avzky@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
Animation <Animation.avzky@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)Gauss,
)
)I’m not great at hopping. I can bunny hop, and rotate my angle while
)doing it, but I cant really mount into a hop without doing the rollback.
):slight_smile: Heck I cant even do the normal forward mount on the street. I can do
)it on my 29" cycle because its slower to roll initially but I’ve never
)done it on a 24" or a 26".

Try a jumping mount instead of a normal static mount; just put the
pedals parallel to the ground, put the seat in your crotch, and jump
up. This will probably fool your body into realizing it’s not doing a
roll-back mount. It’s also more effective off-road than a static
mount, at least on my 29". And it’s really not hard to learn, I hit it
the second time I tried it.
-Tom

that is an amazing start to unicycling. I learned aganist a wall, but i don’t think that it really matters. The difference is probably that if you learn the mount first, then you dismount, so you learn to fall. Otherwise, i think it dosn’ t really matter

For mounting, speed is VERY important. If you start with the pedal at the bottom, try starting it with the pedal about 3/4 up. That’s my main mount, and it works well.

I think our freemounting-while-learning was what made our learning so fast. We couldn’t ride until we could mount. I think had we leaned on a wall or some other crutch, we would, instead of practicing mounting, practice riding…the ‘easy’ part.