Learners: Training-Wheeled Unicycle review (not-so-good)

Hey Everyone!! My mom and I just purchased a “brand new” Unicycle with Training Wheels in the back! Here is a review on it:

We bought this no-name unicycle off of e-bay.com. It is always sold by the same seller, “bigappledeals.” He or she puts a couple of what THEY describe as “brand new” unicycle trainers with training wheels up for auction every week. Up until the VERY end of the auction, the top bid for the unicycle had been around $20-$30 U.S. It got kind of crazy towards the end, and, this being our first time EVER bidding on anything on-line, we did not go about the bidding too “professionally,” and therefore ended up paying about $53 for the unicycle itself, and with shipping & handling and all that, I think it was somewhere around $65. Right now, there is only one of these up for auction on e-bay, currently at $51.01. I would STRESS that if the highest bid for a particular unicycle with training wheels is OVER $65, you should stop bidding and move on to another auction of the same product.

Here is the LINK to a unicycle with training wheels currently being sold on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3&category=2904

WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE: The unicycle with training wheels looks much like a small Penny-Farthing, being that there is a unicycle in front and then a curved bar going from the bottom back of the seat to behind the unicycle, reaching down all the way to the floor, and having two small training wheels connected to the end of the frame. These training wheels sit on the ground about a foot behind the unicycle.

HOW IT RIDES: This unicycle is “allright” for a beginner, especially beginners who want to learn how to ride but are too “scared” that they will fall. I am not saying that you WON’T fall, but, as the variable of the unicycle tipping from side to side is taken out by the wide base of the training wheels, all you have to worry about is not falling forward. You virtually can’t fall backwards because the training wheels in back will stop you from learning back at all. My advice is that the rider sit up straight while on the unicycle, and try to lean SLIGHTLY forward, but not too much! If the training wheels in back and raising up off of the ground, you all leaning forward too far!! Since the rubber training wheels are quite small and solid (have no air in them), the ride is a bit rigid. You should always try riding this unicycle on a smooth, solid surface, maybe not just out in your driveway if it has bumps at all. You can’t go VERY fast on it, but definitely fast enough to get used to the “muscle memory” of riding a unicycle. Oh, and DON"T try performing or learning new tricks that are vigorous on the unicycle when its training wheels are still on!! I learned that the hard way!: I was doing a little bit of bunny hopping and a bunch of stuff started going wrong!

WHEN YOU THINK YOU’RE READY TO TRASH THE TRAINING WHEELS: Once you’ve become quite familiar with riding the unicycle with training wheels, it is quite simple remove the frame and training wheels. There are two Allen bolts which you unscrew for easy removal of the training wheels.

SPECIFICATIONS: (please keep in mind that none of these parts are that high-quality!)

*nice, fairly-comfortable seat, much similar to Myata new style seat or new Torker sub-seat (I think that’s what they’re calling them)

*long, crome seat post (long enough for my mother to use)

*quick-release clamp to adjust seat height

*arched unicycle frame (similar to CyclePro)

*clamshell bearings with bolt on only one side of the bearing (seem to be holding up just fine!)

*traction 20" by 2.125" inflatable rubber Wanlida brand tire

*cheapish hub/axle

*steel cranks (look about 125 mm. long)

*cheapish “Seven Stars” brand black pedals

*Penny-Farthing style bar/frame connecting unicycle to back training wheels

*2 approx. 3" diameter hard, solid, rubber tires in the back working as training wheels

*there is a quick-release clamp near each training wheel to move the 2 wheels closer together or further apart

WHEW!! THAT’S IT!

RECOMMENDATION: I WOULD recommend purchasing this unicycle, as it has helped my mother learn how to ride more consistently. If you think its a stupid idea and/or just a waste of money, PLEASE keep in mind that it can VERY easily be transformed into a regular unicycle of beginner quality. Also, if you get it for less than $65-$75, you are getting a good deal, as the most inexpensive unicycle is around that price range, or a little higher. However, if you want a higher-priced, higher-quality unicycle to start off with, you shouldn’t buy this item.

The following is the dealer’s description of the item:

Description

YOU ARE BIDDING ON A BRAND NEW UNICYCLE WITH TRAINING WHEELS THAT ARE REMOVABLE. YOU CAN SEE FROM PHOTO INCLUDED THAT THE WHEELS ARE ATTACHED WITH EASY TO REMOVE NUTS AND ONCE YOU HAVE MASTERED THE ART OF YOUR UNICYCLE, YOU JUST REMOVE THEM AND GO! THIS ITEM IS NOT USED IT IS NEW SEALED IN ORIGINAL UNOPENED BOX.

This product is very different from the “Uniqo,” a unicycle with a separate handlebar unit in front of you, which is connected to the unicycle part with a single bar (working as a bike “frame,” if you will). From what I hear, it is just a “novelty” unicycle/bike and feels just like riding a bicycle. I do believe that the Uniqo unicycle can be separated from the handlebar unit and frame, to just be a regular unicycle. They have these for sale at www.unicyclesource.com. I, however, would not recommend the Uniqo bike, for I don’t believe that it was bulit for the purposes of a unicycle trailer.

Please respond to this post or Instant Message me if you have any comments, questions, or concerns, and don’t even bother asking the seller about the item because he won’t respond to your e-mail questions. Good luck! and have fun riding whatever unicycle you choose to buy!!

Sorry this post waz soooooooooooo long!! :> )

~Sara (a.k.a. “the Unipsychogirl”) A.I.M. S.N: unipsychogirl M.S.N. S.N (and e-mail address): unicyclerider@hotmail.com
)–%--O