lean

I am 77 and a beginner wanting to show grand children that it is possible to learn. Borrowed a 20" nimbus equinex freestyle unicycle. Once I changed out the studded petals the bleeding stopped.
Question is leaning. In you tube see riders sitting straight up to the extreme of laying on seat. I end up falling forward and landing on feet. Am using back deck and railing. Am I going too slow or not leaning forward enough?

I don’t know you, but I love people like you.

Ouch; yes, beginners better don’t use pins.

I think that’s simple; unicycling is no different than walking (except that what you do with your feet, you now do with your wheel). It’s the same constant (controlled) fall that keeps you going. If you land each time in front of the unicycle than your feet were going to slow (or if speed was insane; then yes, you leaned too much). Opposite, when you land behind your unicycle, then you were riding too fast compare to your constant fall.

Hope that helps!

Oh… noticed another post of you:

IMHO; yes, just keep it somewhere in the middle that feels comfortable, the straight up sitting you have to do yourself.

To keep your balance you’ll either need to pedal faster or not lean forward as much, it’s as simple as that. Either one should work unless you’re really moving slow. Just go with what you want. I personally would say try to do it slower as you will not hit the ground as hard at slower speeds.

Kudos to you for attempting this at 77. I’m sure that I’m not the only one who wants to know how it turns out.

You don’t want to fall backwards, but falling forward is good. Try to save yourself from the forward fall by pedaling. Make sure you have enough open space with no obstructions, and get away from that railing as soon as you can- it might help a little in the very beginning, but after that it will slow down your learning and could even be dangerous.

In the beginning, it’s easier if you pedal fast, in my opinion. Learning to ride slowly is already a bit more difficult, and in any case, fast on a 20" is jogging speed, at most, especially when you’re just getting started. I’ve never heard of anyone your age learning to ride, but there was a 74 year-old trying to learn a while back. He seems to have given up, but there are definitely people your age who ride unicycles. This guy was one of the best.

Have patience, be careful and let us know what happens!

Falling forward is good! Keep your center of gravity in front of the hub; this will force you to start/keep pedaling to keep from falling. I am curious if some of the video you watched was SIF (seat in front) riding. These riders should appear to be leaning over the seat, in order to get their center of gravity forward. Happy unicycling!

Yeah, you show em grandpa…just hold back on the blood! :smiley:
And, from your previous post, you are not a dork, just a beginner.

Kudos to you for your intention to learn riding at age 77. It may be uncommon but not unheard of. The oldest person I heard of who successfully learned to ride was 91 years old. Note: not the oldest one riding, but the oldest one learning to ride.

As to your question of leaning and falling: when learning it is natural to fall (or at least dismount) a lot. And it is obviously much safer if you fall off forward, so you’re doing it well. Having said that, the idea is of course not to fall at all. I don’t think that the degree of forward leaning of your upper body has much to do with it. For a beginner, I would advise an (almost) upright body posture. It is the position of your centre of gravity with respect to your tyre contact point, that makes you fall forward. Or perhaps you may have the feeling that you are going to fall (without actually falling), and you dismount preventively. Probably the best advice is to try and keep the wheel under you, as opposed to staying above the wheel. The reason for this is that you can control the wheel position by pedaling, but you cannot independently control your body position because there’s nothing to pull or push against. So if you feel you are going to fall forward, pedal a little faster to make the wheel keep up with you.

Good luck!
And like someone suggested: please keep us posted on your progress.