Large Marge 24

Live Wire built me a Profile/Large Marge 24 which I’m running with a Duro 3 incher. The wheelset slips straight onto my Lightrider (Lyteryder??) frame. I’ve only ridden with it yesterday but I’ve noticed this much: No foldover, even on big gaps; I run it at 20 psi, as opposed to 26 psi on a reg rim; heavier and not as springy as a regular set up, but there’s absolutely no rebound on big drops, so they are easier to stick; handling is easier owing to zero lateral wobble; doesn’t rim out on rocks et al; easier to stick drops onto rocks and oblique surfaces since the tire doesn’t shift on the rim at all; swallows bumps alive.

It requires a slightly different riding style. My regular set up had a certain bouncy pogo stick quality. This one deadens and absorbs all bouncing–not ideal for street shenanagans and big hops, but probably a boon for rocky downhill riding.

I’ll bust it out this weekend on the trails and can fill in the gaps.

JL

well?

what was it like?

I rode all three days this weekend on the LM 24 (w/ Profile, Duro). Yesterday we trundled down Tunnel, in Santa Barbara–an acid test for the wheelset.

A few thoughts: Run the tire pressure low. A hard tire on the LM makes bumps and rocks almost unridable. Drop the psi and the fat rim rocks. I started Tunnel at 23 psi, kept getting bucked off, dropped down to 18 psi and went to town. At one point I side hopped up a rock slab that normally would have folded my tire right off a smaller DH rim.

Biggest single advantage–lack of side to side movement of the tire over the rim. Second, how the wider profile of the tire/rim absorbs shock loading with scant rebound or recoil. The tire simply deadens bumps and drops. And without lateral tire movement on the rim, it handles with great responsiveness.

We’ll need more opinions from other riders for anything definitive, but for my money, the LM is a keeper for rocky rolling, drops, and serpentine steep lines requiring snap directional changes. The slight weight increase is imperceptable. I won’t go back to the thin rim. A bouncy tire is a often a boon for street riding, but hardcore street riders don’t ride a 24.

JL

done any more riding on it yet? anymore thoughts?

is it the best thing ever? :sunglasses:

Dont say that in front of Justin Kozy…

men u r so stupid good street riders dont ride 24" ? YOUR MOM DOSENT RIDE A 24" look at justin men he pwns at street

Can someone lend me a knife? I’ve got this huge dish of irony and I’d love to share it with everyone.

vivalargo -

Is this on the frame from that yellow muni you had built?

“Yellow Toucan” I believe it was monikered.

thanx alot, you thread jackin scum bags!

To bring this back, (sorry jagur) I’ve been riding with vivalargo quite a bit in recent weeks, and the wide rim definitely has had continued visible effects.

Most notably, the wheel sticks right to the ground, even when there are strange angles in play. In some spots, I’d get ejected from the muni by the recoil of a folded tire, only to watch largo land with a ‘thok’ and easily roll out of it (on his yellow/blue/red muni frame).

stop cryng fag

I’ll say it again. If you ride on rocky terrain, the LM rim is an advantage–noticable but not enormous–because it deadens rebound during drops and “tractoring,” plus the tire lays so wide on the rim there is virtually no foldover on side hops and gapping. I weigh 210 and kept tweaking (and bend a DX32 rim Uturn expertly built for me) thinner rims up in Santa Barbara. The LM feels indestructable.

If you ride mainly on dirt and so forth, the LM won’t give an advantage, but if you live on the rocks, I say suck it up, spend the 100 bucks and start cleaning stuff that used to buck you off repeatedly. No rim is gonna make you a better rider, but the LM can exploit the talent you do have.

To answer questions about the previously yellow “Flying Toucan,” that baby (Literider alum. frame) kept getting thrashed (and stilll does) through countless falls in SB. Every time the powdercoat got bashed off, I took to spray painting over the ding with one of three cans I had in my shed–red, blue and orange–hence the daffy color scheme it now sports. More like a parot these days.

JL

i already have one. it was $115.

i brought your thread back up just to ask if you had any differant thoughts after the “honey moon” expieriance. all sounds good so far.

just get a reiforced alex32

I’ve had a Stockton 24" LM/Profile/Gazz wheel for a few weeks now, but unfortunately haven’t had much opportunity to ride it yet. The highs in Phoenix are still hitting above 100F.

I was able to get out of town the weekend before last for some riding, though. It feels very stable; aggressive downhill is an absolute blast. I’ll post a more detailed opinion after it cools down enough in town to ride local trails. I’ve only ridden it on virgin trails, so far–it will be much easier to tell how it compares to other wheels on trails I’ve ridden dozens of times.

sure. but this thread isnt about that…this thread is about the LM rim.

make a thread of your own about the delites of the Alex.

Why are you not banned yet? You never contribute to the threads you post in, and now you’re also getting offensive.

Thanks to vivalargo and co for your info on the LM24.

And absolutely no thanks whatsoever to maxxisbackintown for being plain annoying on the forum.

I have bought myself one (imported from the US) and had it fitted to my '04 onza cranks/hub.
I also run a duro (or Halo Contra in the UK) but I had trouble getting it seated on the rim properly. When it was sitting properly, it was rubbing on the brake mounts. So I’m just about to go get it from the bike shop where the dude has been instructed to remove my brake mounts.

Thanks again for your info. Gives me an idea of what to expect. I’ll let you know what mine is like once I’ve ridden it a bit.

T.

Dark Tom–

The brake mount problem is real. I’m used to using a brake on the steep dirt single tracks and long fire road ascents/descents in my hometown, Venice, Cal. The LM rim is, as you pointed out, too wide for the brake/brake mount set up where they are normally situated (welded) on either a Literider or KH 24 frame. The solution is to fabricate a simple plate that screws onto the existing mounts, but features holes in the plate that are 3/8s to 7/16s wider than the holes on the standard mount. That’s the theory, anyway. I have a friend handy in metal fab working those up for me now and I’ll report back once I have them, possibly this wekend. The main question is if they will be too far out and rub on my leg. If so, it looks like we’ll have to run the LM sans brake.

JL

Last initial observation/experience: don’t use a Gaz on the LM 24. The wide rim so flattens out the tred you end up with a clunky rig difficult to turn. Stick with a rounder tire (I’m using a Duro) to avoid turning your Muni into a tractor.

I’ve put in perhaps 10 muni rides on the LM so far and yesterday when I briefly switched back to a reg. 24 wheelset it felt markedly less stable and, oddly enough, less responsive and precise than the LM.

JL