lame dumb question...

what is the difference between coasting and gliding…i can never tell…some one clarify please…videos would be nice

-Phil

Either the “search” button or the “links” section would have answered your question in the same time it took you to make this thread.

Gliding: foot on tire
Coasting: feet off tire

Edit: videos may not help… one can’t see the difference very well since the distance between the foot and tire is so small.

Gliding is when you have one foot on the tire as a brake. Usually the whole foot is on the tire or the heel is on the frame and toe is on the tire like in this video.

Gliding

This is the same only one foot is extended instead of on the frame

Gliding 1 Foot Extended

With coasting your feet have no contact with the wheel, frame, or pedals. Coasting is alot harder to balance than gliding.

Coasting

This is the same as above but with one foot extended.

Coasting Leg Extended

I find gliding with my whole foot to use as a break for the wheel and coasting with one leg extended easier.

Coasting is what happens in that horrible moment after you think you’re about to UPD, you remove your feet from the pedals, and the unicycle carries on, and you have no idea which way it’s going to fall. Is it to be a broken jaw or a shattered coccyx? Coasting usually lasts about 1/2 a second, but at the time it seems like hours.

Gliding is broadly similar, but deliberate, and involves using your foot to control the speed by rubbing your sole on the tyre, rather than using those lovely expensive pedals and cranks designed for the purpose.

Re: lame dumb question…

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:52:14 -0600, skate4flip wrote:

>With coasting your feet have no contact with the wheel, frame, or
>pedals. Coasting is alot harder to balance than gliding.

Coasting on a unicycle while not even one foot is in contact with the
frame is virtually impossible to do (sustainably, that is, under
control). The “no foot contact” is not a requirement for it to be
called coasting.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort”

If that’s the case, then I know how to coast. :roll_eyes:

…yes, that moment of panic, when, feet having left the pedals, you realise you have no means at all of dismounting. For once in your ride you really do have all your weight on the seat, and until the crash there is nothing you can do about it. Only had it happen 2 or 3 times, but it was memorable on each occasion.

Nao ( bored at work )

As a newbie, I have * coasted* a few times :wink:
Maybe what I need to train myself to do is while riding slowly, grab the front of the seat with one hand and the rear of the seat with the other hand and push myself off.
Probably wouldn’t help during that panic time, but maybe.