Labor Day fun in Michigan

Today I got together with a group of unicyclists for a group ride at the Potawatomi trail in Pinckney, Michigan. The trail is a mix of rocks and roots with long sections of flowing trail and a few large (for Michigan) climbs for good measure. There were also some really cool technical downhills with some nice drops, rocks and roots. The option that we took was a 13.5 mile loop. Needless to say everyone was exhausted. The trail was great, the weather was better, and we all enjoyed the holiday.

This was also my first group ride ever, hopefully with many more to come.

The attached picture shows our group on the trail. Ben on 24", Sarah on tandem unicycle (aka fat bike), Justin on 26" fat, me on 24" and Brett on 24"

Michigan Unicyclists!

If any of the riders are interested in participating in a unicycle club or simply going on more Muni rides and meeting new unicyclists, check out the Redford Township Unicycle Club. Most meets are less than an hour away from Pinckney Mi. Here are a few links involving RTUC:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RedfordUni/?fref=ts

Looks good guys!
My legs are still tight from Saturday’s Owasippe ride!
I hope to meet up with you in the future

Terry

Terry,

I was the newest wannabe rider in the group. Though my endurance was good for only a short short space I got to see muni live and give it a try. It was fantasic!

I saw it worked well to have two tracks for riders. Frequent riders and new or those getting back to it. Fortunately the trail had those choices.

Everyone was supportive and welcoming. I think if we do this more than once in Michigan we will become smoother in insuring everyone gets some decent challenges and adventure. Justin, John, Brett and Sarah were really great people…

We talked about possibly doing the Kal-haven trail this Fall. That would be more of a distance ride 30+ miles until you get to South Haven. Unnaturally beautiful when the colors come out. …but for that matter so is Yankee Springs if muni is a necessity.

I will say… going on the ride erased my mental block on free mounting. The next day I simply hopped up on the uni in one try with no practice and rode my commute home. (Who knew!?) Freaky unreal.

I’m also hoping we can coax the 20 hidden unicyclists in my region to come out for some serious fun. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Ben,

I had a great time riding with Justin and Sarah. That was my first time muni-ing. I was in a little over my head, but still loved it.

It would be great to have another chance to meet other riders. I’m an east sider though, and the Kal-haven trail looks about a 3.5hr drive for me. It does look beautiful though.

I need to get back at it. I travel with my uni in the back seat, but I haven’t been on it since Labor day :frowning:

Unicycle Ride for Michigan’s Fall Colors?

The Fall Colors are about to explode in the next week or so around different areas of Michigan. Several of us talked about riding the Kal-Haven Trail when the colors came out.

As unicyclists cover such a broad expanse of the state I wonder if any of you all know paths/trails closer to Lansing that could accomodate relative beginner’s to muni lovers?

My schedule has only two work days this coming week Thursday and Friday. Any other time I think I can make myself free… within the Lansing/Hastings/Jackson/Kalamazoo circle.

The following week I’ll be booked pretty hard for work… but the peak of color should show up in different areas of the state for at least a couple of weeks I hope.

Unicycle Ride for Michigan’s Fall Colors?

The Fall Colors are about to explode in the next week or so around different areas of Michigan. Several of us talked about riding the Kal-Haven Trail when the colors came out.

As unicyclists cover such a broad expanse of the state I wonder if any of you all know paths/trails closer to Lansing that could accomodate relative beginner’s to muni lovers?

My schedule has only two work days this coming week Thursday and Friday. Any other time I think I can make myself free… within the Lansing/Hastings/Jackson/Kalamazoo circle.

The following week I’ll be booked pretty hard for work… but the peak of color should show up in different areas of the state for at least a couple of weeks I hope.

Hey Ben, we went out to ride Yankee springs last weekend. They have a beginner loop that’s right at a mile, and a short loop that’s around 5 I think. It is particularly sandy in parts out there, but there’s quite a bit of flat smooth stuff too for you to work through. We’re going to be gone next weekend to ride the Great Allegheny Passage, but feel free to get in touch with me during the coming weeks. : ) Also, if you do end up getting a muni, you may want to look at a 24x4 or if you want something larger, a 26x4 for the winter. The packed snow really smooths the trails out and makes many of the trails around here pretty easy for beginner muni, as long as you’re willing to brave the cold. :wink:

Hi everybody! how to get in touch with you? It looks like you had a good time together! :slight_smile:

How to get in touch?

Here is probably one way. …or you could private message any one of us…

Depending on where you live contacting one person over another probably increases your odds of joining an impromtu ride. (Uh… where do you live?)

Me, I’m in the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek area.

It also might be helpful to have a sense of your comfort… (Me, since the ride I can do the basic L1 type of stuff - one of my friends I got stated is working on idling and backwards riding… others are doing hopping, street tricks, etc.)

Lastly, but not least… if I’m riding I’ll try to post when and where I’m going and invite whoever is interested…

People here are pretty affirming. For me, simply being around a live unicyclist who’d been riding longer, working on things longer caused an unexpected increase in my skill with just a little practice.

So if unicycling is the name of the game for you and you live in Michigan (or you don’t) bring yours along when you see the next ride mentioned here.

btw… I have several women friends who don’t want to be the only women learning to ride. It would be great if they could meet someone already a rider who wasn’t male.

MI mountian bike website

Hey good people, I’ve been pretty busy lately.
I found a decent site listing possible rides for us.
http://mmba.org/trail-guide/

keep that wheel spinning…
Terry