Koxx-one Vs. Kris Holm

will that even fit ur frame??

i think it will…the bedford frame is very multipurpose…

I just ordered a KH Trials should be here soon Ill let you guys know how I like it

They vary slightly, but it is only very slightly under 6kg.

We use a very accurate postal scale for our weights, it should be accurate. A top tip… don’t believe a manufacture about weights, especially tyre manufacutres. We have found some that are 50% heavier than they claimed. Pedals are probably the next worst with very few being actually what they claim.

Roger

I always assume that the manufacture is being truthful when they say their whats but i guess not.

Mike

Weight Weenies can help you check exactly how much non-specific parts weigh (like pedals & tyres, etc). Not much use for unicycle based items, I might start a small database of measurements collected from UDC’s listings, and my own measurements. I’m so glad I said that, now I feel like I might actually do it…

KH vs Koxx wise, I think you’ll find this small debate has been raging on, and on, and on, and on for quite some time now. In the UK, its an easy choice, since the Koxx is comparable for strength (apart from the rim, which is considerably weaker than the KH) but significantly less expensive. Over here at least (trials wise);

Nimbus (the original cotterless trials) is for younger riders, learners and less extreme use. I’ve not seen a broken one since the upgraded hub a few years ago, and I don’t know how big you could go on one before things started to fall apart. The cheapest trials uni, great for kids who want to Muni and hop about. A good base to upgrade from in stages.

Qu-ax is for light, younger riders who aren’t going massively big, and people who want splines on a budget. The saddle isn’t the best, the frame is nicely finished and has plenty of clearance. Qu-ax do make a rather nice Alu frame as an upgrade however, with Maggie bosses on it. The seatpost is slightly thicker than the Hoppley, but the rim is weaker and the crankset isn’t nearly as strong. Was the standard for cheap-but-strong trials use, but now the Hoppley may take much of its market.

Nimbus (the new Hoppley) is great for heaver riders, or those wanting to go big on a budget. A great combination of tried-and-tested equipment, the Nimbus II frame is strong & functional, with plenty of clearance and a nice paintjob. Seatpost is CrMo, adding weight but is cheap to replace if it bends, and is knurled to stop twisting during long drops or bad landings. Saddle is 2nd behind the KH Fusion for comfort & suitability for trials & street. The virtually indestructible 04 KH Hub/Crankset requires more maintenance that an equivalent modern set but will last for years of hard abuse. The rim is the best out there, a 19" KH freeride, eyeletted and designed to take the harshest of abuse.

Onza is the slightly cheaper alternative to the KH, for people who go big but can’t afford a full whack £310 to go Pro. Its got the hub & cranks, and a nice solid rim, it just loses out on seat comfort, weight and frame design. It’s heavier, the saddle isn’t a Fusion or a Gel but its strong and comfortable, with a nice cover to match the overall design. I’ve used one (with the 04 hub) for a year and I’m very happy with it. The pedals are also worthy of mention, being hugely grippy and strong enough for the harshest trials.

The Koxx is a light and nimble beast, capable of withstanding the harshest of drops and staying true. The Isis hubset is versatile, strong and light, the frame is classically designed and sits closer to the tyre than other trials models. Its only downfalls are the rather less than perfect saddle, and the thin & weak alu seatposts, which snap all too easily. The cheesehole rim is uneyeletted and on big drops spokes will rip through it, and the extra width over the KH only serves to reduce strength more. The tyre is a very soft compound, offering plenty of grip but at the expense of rapid tyre wear.

The KH is obviously in a league of its own, price and performance wise. The best hub & crankset coupled with the lightest trials frame on the market, along with a KH rim and fusion saddle. A uni that will last for years without upgrade or replacement, you pay for the privelige, being £70 dearer than the next most-expensive alternative. It will last the longest, but it costs the most.

Unless you are buying one now from UDC UK as for the last 2 months they have been on special offer at the same price as the Koxx Devil.

If I could afford on I would get one while they are so heavily discounted but having just bought a new Muni (KH24 Freeride (also discounted)) I can’t get one just yet

I just hope the offer lasts

Plumsie

Im sooo glad i bought mine, no joke its great. Thanks Roger for the great uni and service,espicially with my old nimbus rim.

Mike

Thanks for that great post Loosemoose, I think that is probably the best post I have seen here in the winter months. Maybe you should elaborate a bit on it and put it as a tutorial to help quell the uni a vs uni b threads.

I am making an exel document with as many uni parts as I can find. When I am done I will post it and people can add more.

the KH is on sale on unicycle.co.uk shop thing, but is that this years model, or a newer one coming out?

koxx wheel+kh frame= ownage lightness

The Kris Holm-Onza crankset isn’t stronger than the Koxx One Isis crankset, my friend bent the 140mm KH Onza cranks in less than a week, and bent brand new 127mm KH Onza cranks in 2 days (no joke). He eventually went on to snap the KH Onza hub spindle on one side during a London street ride. (Roger Davies, you will know about this well :p)

And just 3 days ago, he snapped his Kris Holm 2005 blue trials frame at the bottom of the seattube, the crown if you like. bit surprising, but he is a go nuts and go big rider. Bending Profile 145mms in a week and all… Yet he hasn’t ever broken a Nimbus II frame for the amount of years of abuse its been through. The Koxx One crankset that came on the Devil is still going really strong with him.

Qu-Ax 127mm cranks are very strong as well, those are the only other pair of cranks he has never broken or bent at all, i guess round tubular cranks like KH Onza and Profile are more prone to breakage than the solid aluminium Koxx cranks and Square tubed Qu-Ax cranks.

Mind you, he has destroyed Onza rims, Onza cranks, and DX32 rims… yet the Kris Holm 19" rim has had not trouble whatsoever, Koxx rims are cheese, like in the bike trials world, they are quite disliked by some riders due to their flat-spotting easiness and easy denting.

Kris Holm rim is the only really strong part that comes on 2005 KH trials unis I think.

In my opinion the KH/Onza is the best thing ever.

I bought a Koxx and after one big drop (2,50m in flat) the cranks are bent. The TryAll rim is still in a good condition.

My old 03 Onzahub, which i used 2 years, is still not bend and it has taken many many bad drops and very very bad landings.

i find my koxx-one is cool but kris holm is the best
the devil isn’t very strong(the rim and the seat tube are bad)but it’s 5.8kg and the kris holm 5.5kg

Is your freind heavy?

Does he have bad landings?

How big is he going?

Mike

Judging from all that he has broken, it must be a mixture of all three of those factors.

My friend, Joe… we measured him to have handle-sidehops to tyre about 2 inches off Kris Holm’s maximum to tyre. His pedal-stalls/grabs stand at around 47" or so absolute tops. He is not chunky/heavy in weight, he is not unsmooth, he just goes huge. He has done this really good dropgap in London, England called the ‘St. Pauls’ gap which many bike trials riders can just about do. Which is about a 9ft drop with a 10 foot gap… over a fountain. Pretty damn huge.

He destroyed all components of the KH-Onza 2005 wheel except the Kris Holm rim.

He is doing perfectly fine with his Koxx-One crankset, and has never ever broken a set of 127mm Qu-Ax cranks for KH 2004 hub nor a Nimbus II frame which he has used the longest.

Just to give you an idea of what he puts through his parts…

Koxx One has a stronger trials frame, a stronger hub, arguably stronger cranks, but a weaker rim than KH.

I would love to see this on a video =p

I think you could not generalise the two hubs, Marco bent the koxx fast and the Onza/KH still is in god condition.

Im liking the KH so far Ive had it for about a week it takes 3ft drops
good been doing alot of trials and no problems yet I love the big tire smoother landing compared to all the freestyle unis I had