knee problem and those brace-like things with the hole on top

i’ve still got the wierd knee bumping thing going on.

would one of those thick spandex like things with the hole around the knee cap help?

NBA players use them.

Re: knee problem and those brace-like things with the hole on top

I haven’t found many that fit me, you could call me quadzilla. If you are having tracking problems look into the patella band I think it is called. Worked well for me, and stays in place. I always have the other types slide down.

I know that for ankles only the expensive ones work, so be careful if you end up buying one.

Andrew

I would (and do ) use a tensor bandage. I’ve found that those neoprene (or whatever they are made of) braces are only good when you’re standing, running etc. Riding the uni causes the brace to shift around and creep down your leg.

Hi jagur,

Most knee braces are to prevent an injury and you seem to already have one. I know you lack insurance but I would go see an OS and get a brace and exercise recommendation from him/her before I would spend the money on the wrong brace (there are many available). Depending on the type you purchase, the cost of an off-the-shelf brace can range between $50.00 and $500.00 (USD). By seeing a Doctor first you my also be able to prevent futher injury to your knee and the need for surgery which is VERY expensive. Your problem could be as simple a patellar that’s not tracking propery or a more serious injury like torn cartilage or a torn ligament.

I will be having my second knee surgery on my right knee in September and it’s going to cost close to $20,000 (USD)! I may also need some minor surgery on my left knee. The point is that you don’t want surgery so get an evaluation!!! You also don’t want unreliable knees. Believe me its NO FUN (especially if you like unicycling).

Cheers,
Jason

On Mon, 19 May 2003 13:51:41 -0500, bugman
<bugman.now6a@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>you could call me quadzilla.

Post a picture for Erin :slight_smile:

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

"Money isn’t made out of paper, it’s made out of cotton. "

Re: Re: knee problem and those brace-like things with the hole on top

In good time:D

Jagur,
I ride with the neoprene knee braces. I really can’t tell you if they really work or not. They offer some more support, but have a tendancy to slip down, especially with persperation. The hole ends up just down below the knee cap. They also make movement a bit stiffer, but not limiting. They also bearly fit under my 6611 knee/shin guards. At first it feels like a cardboard box around your knee, but I just ride with it and I got used to it.

I wear them, probably more for psychological reasons. I am afraid to ride without them now, for fear that maybe they are helping.

I remember seeing a type of neoprene knee brace without an inserted metal piece that ran down the side, that had a velcro strap just above the knee that might alleviate the down slipping problem, but that means more fabric under your knee shin armor.
I saw those after I had bought my basic ones.

that would depend on what is wrong with the knee
the last thing u want is a brace that will exacerbate your existing problem
get some pro-advice as soon as u can
it may seem like a lot of money now, take it from jason, it’s nothing compared to surgery
don’t let it become more than it needs to be