Kick Up Mount

A couple of the kids at our unicycle club were looking for a challenge today, so I told them about the kick up mount. They both worked really hard and over the hour of the club meeting, they were both very close with one managing one successful mount. I tried it myself, and I think I will have quite a lot of work to do if I want to get it sorted.

I am getting the unicycle into position most times, but I think I will have to practice a lot more to move on to the next section of moving off, it all happens really quickly.

It is good to have something to work on though, I would quite like to be able to go back to the club next week and be able to do it, I can’t have the pupils being too far ahead of the teacher! :roll_eyes:

Innes

There was a really good video tutorial done on this mount that resurfaced a week or so ago. Try the search feature for help on obtaining the video. Sorry I can’t remember who put it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs2xGoi6-uI

I favorited it on youtube. Like the original poster said, it’s not in English, but it’s clear the idea he’s trying to convey.

Thanks for putting up the video. From watching that, I think I have to put a bit more pressure on the foot that is on the crank.

I will keep practising.

Innes

i have not seen the tutorial, but i put the pedal forward, and push back, so that if i miss i go over the front of the wheel… and i grab the handle ASAP, so i can do corrective hops more easily.

I learned these today! It took me about 5 minutes, after getting fed up with failing at 3 spins

The video was very well produced and clear. But the guy doing it doesn’t seem to know how to close the deal! It sure looks better if you ride away instead of hopping all over the place. Key point for riding away instead of having to hop: pull the top pedal back. That’s it.

The turning point for me was putting my right foot between the pedal and the crank, not just on the pedal. Also, having the right crank not oriented 90 degrees in relation to the frame. That was putting the cranks in a an awkward position when trying to put both feet on the pedals to ride away. I keep the crank at about 45 degrees in relation to the frame. That seems to work out better.

I think it’s whatever works for that crank angle. We arrived at 90-degrees based on our 20" Freestyle unicycles of the time, which were easiest to stand on with about a 90-degree angle. It’s probably different for different unicycle shapes. What really matters is to snap that seat up against your leg, then get your second foot in front of the top pedal and pull it back. This can be done without hopping, which makes it a lot easier to do it while juggling. :slight_smile:

Whoah, awesome.
After watching this video for 3x I decided to try it tonight.
Btw, the language to this video is UNIversal!:p:D

First of all, really tricky for beginners like me.
Prerequisite, make sure you’re ready for good falls, with plenty of practice in balance. Make sure you’re comfortable with the foot on crank and peddle and lightly hop over mount. I failed like 70x before sticking it 4 times and riding off, in 50 mins of practice.
Quite a balancing trick.

Be prepared for peddle, frame, and tire strikes to the calf and shin. Be prepared to bounce off seat. I nearly did a faceplant, if it werent for my quick reflex. Landed on hand and wrist. Wristguards worked great. Thats when I got up and did my four, soon afterwards.

Nice challenging trick, will practice some more tomorrow.

Is this something thats best learned with your seat low? Mine is up at freestyle hight and this seems harder than it should be, and the seat always ends up in dangerous territory :astonished:

No, not way low, for me its the same height as the on crank and pedal static mount. Knees a little bent when in full extent position.
My precious were ok. I either undershoot, overshoot, sit on but not able to ride off, bounce off saddle or success with it riding off. As a beginner its a very fine line.:wink:

My saddle is in flatland position–not as low as trials, but certainly not as high as freestyle. No issues down there. It seems scary with that saddle and post flying up, but so far not even close to any kind of injury in the nether-regions.

Unispins, now that’s a different story…

I can do kickup mounts with my trials uni but they are much easier on my freestyle. Also, you will find it easier from one side than the other (which side is up to the rider).

Having trouble with this. The weight of the right foot pushing down on the right pedal means that the left pedal/crank comes up leaving me in an awkward position. What do you mean by pulling the top pedal back? When? How?

Thanks.

You mount the uni with a foot on one pedal. As it rises up to vertical, that pedal will go to the bottom, putting you in the “dead spot”, where you have poor leverage. Same as freemounting a giraffe. Best way to get out of that awkward position is to bring your other foot to the top pedal from the front, and give it a little push back. This will bring your pedals toward the horizontal, where you can then put input into either one of them. At the same time, it shifts your center of gravity ahead of the tire’s contact point, so you can start pedaling forward.

The problem with coming up in the dead spot is being “stuck” where, the better you’ve done it, the harder it is to get going. Ever been stuck there, perfectly balanced? You don’t want to be perfectly balanced at the end of a mount, you usually want to ride away forward. Pull the top pedal back, and you have to go forward.

I always wear compression shorts, which keep everything up and out of the way.
Way better than regular cycling shorts. :slight_smile:

OK John good tip. I’ll try it.

What worked for me was to focus on my body moving diagonally forward as I lean into the mount.
ie. over the unicycle.

If you’re not nailing the mount and mostly dismounting off the back, this should help fix it for you.
If you’re not nailing the mount and mostly dismounting off the front, you’re doing too much of it.

That last point, focusing on the body moving diagonally has also helped.

Another thing that’s working for me is focusing on catching the seat with my hand in front of the seat on the bumper instead of catching the seat in the middle where the arm will interfere with landing my butt on the seat and riding away.