KH29 or Oregon

Which would you choose and why?
Im thinking the KH will be more versitile for me.

I haven’t tried the Oregon, but I can confirm the KH29 is extremely versatile and fun to ride. I might get an Oregon someday just for snow riding, but other than that, from reading others’ posts, it sounds like the Oregon is more of a novelty uni than the one you’d want to ride regularly.
Try searching for posts by Nurse Ben with the search term “Oregon”.

Check out reviews here of both uni’s.

They are very different machines

The KH will be much more quick and nimble while the Oregon will allow you to plow over whatever is in your way. Both awesome.

Unless you are riding snowmobile trails you would probably get more use out of the KH.

I ride the Oregon when the trails are muddy or snowy, so once a week during the winter, then it sits unused for the warmer months unless my son rides it.

I ride the KH 29 2-3x a week year round

My KH 26 guni is being converted to a fixed gear, so once that is done I’d expect my 26 and 29 to split the majority of my riding, with the 26 for shorter/harder rides and the 29 for the easier/longer rides.

My son likes to ride the Oregon, he is young, strong, and only rides rarely and for shorter rides. The Oregon riding group (Bryce, Tim, et al) they ride fat tires year round as the primary muni.

It really comes down to what you like. I was riding the COnundrum as my primary muni for much of last Winter, but this winter I have ridden the 20er far more often.

The 29er is more agile, but it has less “suspension” and so it’s better for smooth terrain. I love my 29er, but there are days when I wish it had a bigger tire, which is why I’m building a fixed 26er.

Do you have a 26er already? Riding 29ers is not easy, just saying…

I’ve had a KH29 and now have a Conundrum with Large Marge / Larry similar to the Oregon as well as a regular 26" muni. Overall I’d agree with Dave K’s review here. The Large Marge / Larry combination is capable of speeds close to KH29 on smoother trails but it takes more work to turn the heavier wheel. When the trail gets rougher, the stability and float of the Large Marge / Larry makes it possible to just bomb through areas that would take a more deliberate approach on a 29er, which can save a lot of energy (and be a lot more fun).

Here’s a video showing a

. Note that Jeff on the KH29 is a much stronger rider than I am. The only reason I can keep up with him on some sections is the Large Marge / Larry.

Are there any downsides to the big Large Marge / Larry combination? For me the biggest one is that the heavier wheel makes it harder to hop up and on to things, but I’m not very good at hopping on to obstacles anyway.

I’ve had a KH29 and now have a Conundrum with Large Marge / Larry similar to the Oregon as well as a regular 26" muni. Overall I’d agree with Dave K’s review here. The Large Marge / Larry combination is capable of speeds close to KH29 on smoother trails but it takes more work to turn the heavier wheel. When the trail gets rougher, the stability and float of the Large Marge / Larry makes it possible to just bomb through areas that would take a more deliberate approach on a 29er, which can save a lot of energy (and be a lot more fun).

Here’s a video showing a Conundrum riding with a KH29. Note that Jeff on the KH29 is a much stronger rider than I am. The only reason I can keep up with him on some sections is the Large Marge / Larry.

Are there any downsides to the big Large Marge / Larry combination? For me the biggest one is that the heavier wheel makes it harder to hop up and on to things, but I’m not very good at hopping on to obstacles anyway.

Clearly the answer is to get one of each :slight_smile:

Three, yes three, that is the magic number.

On second thought, four, yes four, if only I had four…

don’t you mean nine?

It used to be eight…

sort of like lays chips :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s right!

Nine is the new eight :smiley:

ya my advice is get both!

[QUOTE=davidp;1508544]

Here’s a video showing a Conundrum riding with a KH29. Note that Jeff on the KH29 is a much stronger rider than I am. The only reason I can keep up with him on some sections is the Large Marge / Larry.

[QUOTE]

Never seen that much hopping on a KH29. Tell him he should be rolling that trail. That’s what 29ers are for! :smiley:

[quote=“Tucson Uni,post:12,topic:117524”]

[QUOTE=davidp;1508544]

+1

Thanks for all the help. It sounds like the Oregon is too much for me to handle. So the next question is…KH 26 and KH 29?

How much more difficult is it to ride a 29er? I want more distance and to glide over rough spots, I don’t particulally ride tight trails just lots of grassy area, gravel or mulch trails and sometimes paved area.

What makes the 29 a pound lighter?

For those conditions 29 would be more fun than 26. I went straight from 20 to 29, not sure if it would have been easier to go to 26, but it wasn’t a problem for me.

Weight difference is mostly in the tire.

The weight diffence is in the tire. If you had a KH 29 and a KH 26 set up the exact same (tire/tube/spoke gauge), they would be very close to the same weight, with e 29er slightly heavier due to using a larger diameter rim/longer spokes/larger diameter tire.

Unlike Unishark, I struggled with my first 29er when I transitioned from a 24, ultimately I sold it and bought a 26, then after another year of riding I successfully transitioned to a 29er. I have all three, I like the 29er the best, but there are days when a smaller wheel is easier to ride, then there are days when I ride the Oregon and it makes me smile.

Here’s a thought:

Get a 29er and order it with an extra wheel (26), then swap out as needed. If you wait just a little longer, a month of so, you will be able to get your wheels built with the new Nimbus disc hubs, then you can swap wheels without having to worry about magura brake mount mistmatch.

Another option:

Buy an Oregon and have a 29" wheel built using the wide 125 disc hub and have UDC send you a Duro 26x3" tire/tube combo. Then you could ride the Oregon as a fat tire, swap wheels and ride it as a 29er, or swap the fat tire for the Duro 3" and run it as a mid fat 26er. This is what I am contemplating :slight_smile:

next question…what is a Wtb stout tire? Are wellgo or odyssey pedals better.

That cut rate website list these differences also the tire at 2.3 not 2.6 think its a misprint because the rim is 2.3

The only reason I keep asking is its saves me $140. They cant give me the model year either.

Neat ideas there with the change outs. Im looking to get what best suits my abilites or what I can learn to use. Id like to stay under a grand. This will be my sixth uni in as many months.

wow: !!!