KH29 first road ride

I did my first proper road ride on my new KH29 this afternoon.

It worked really well, I averaged 7.5 mph which isn’t too bad for now. The route was on quietish roads, and was fairly flat. I covered just over 8 1/2 miles in about 1 hour 5 min’s.

I used the Big Apple tyre, and the cranks set to 125mm.

I was able to ride nearly the whole route without dismounting, and I felt comfortable on it the whole ride. I will need to get a bit better when the road camber is a bit steep, but I wasn’t too bad.

I am really pleased with the unicycle, I will get a bit more speed out of it in the future, but after covering that distance today, I am really happy to have moved from a 36" to the 29".

Innes

Glad to hear you like the KH29. The big apple is known to grab the road crown a little differently. What PSI do you have in that tire? I had the big apple on my 29er and it caused some awkward moments on the crown until I bumped the pressure up to about 55-60PSI. I think that tire is rated to 65PSI so kick it up a little if you haven’t already.

I’m curious what you think of the double hole cranks at 125. Do you ever have issues with the extra 25mm of crank arm that sticks out of the top of your revolution? Does it get in the way at all?

I have just got back from my first proper KH29 road ride to. I did about 35 miles (It was ment to be about 30-32 but I got lost :o ) I was riding with 150mm cranks (because I couldnt afford the double hole cranks) I did enjoyed it although my but does now ache, but then again I wouldnt exspect it not to. Im not sure what speed I averaged but I would guess around 7 or 8 mph. I was quite suprised because I have rode along one of the same realy hilly roads on my bike before and it was killer, at the top I was hot, sweaty and majorly tired but on my KH29 I just shot up it with not a huge amount of effort, even after having been riding for hours, I love it :slight_smile:

So, do you guys prefer the KH29 or a 36er for distance? (I don’t see the attraction of doing it on a smaller wheel… especially 35 miles :astonished: )

35 miles is very impressive, no wonder you are sore.

I will put a bit more air in the Big Apple.

The extra bit of crank doesn’t get in the way at all.

I found that the 29" was much easier going than the 36" over the distance of a route, my times were not that different, but I really didn’t use the 36" much, and didn’t get used to it at all.

Innes

cool deal. thanks for the crank info. I think I’ll be sticking to my 36" for my tours though. I can’t imagine a 70 mile day on a 29er ending before dark :stuck_out_tongue:

:frowning: The best I could manage in about two hours practice was about 3 tire revolutions after free-mounting, but for me, that’s good progress. Each time I practice with the 29, I ride farther with the Sun 24 and 20" Torker DX, though I can hardly mount them at all without support. I would practice longer if it wasn’t so humid - looking forward to cooler weather.

70 miles! :astonished:

Innes

I don’t suggest it…its a big chore even on a 36" not to mention its probably really bad for the boys downstairs…

I have used both the 2.0 and 2.35 tyre, and much prefer the 2.0 tyre for this reason. I’d been using a normal 29" uni for a while and loved it, but I found the transition to a 2.35 tyre on the Schlumpf I bough a bit hard work over every crown/grate/roadwork I came to. I’ve recently changed this to the 2.0 and it’s made a great improvement.

I don’t know what psi I’m running at, but it’s about as much as I can put in with a normal hand pump.

And, Innes, I’m glad you’re loving the 29er. It really is a good ride, and I’m sure you’ll get your mph up by quite a bit soon.

STM

to clarify, I rode the 2.35 model of the tire. Didnt know there was a thinner one actually. thanks for the info :slight_smile:

I agree with this whole-heartedly. The BA 2.35 pulls MUCH harder down a side-slope than does its little sister, the BA2.0. The BA2.0 is my weapon of choice on my KH29 for all my hillclimb races.

I just got back from another ride, I rode home from school because I had two free lessons last thing.
I know it is almost exactly 6 miles as I have rode it many times on my bike which has a spedometer and it took me 37 minutes so…
6/37= 0.162 x 60 = 9.729mph
That was with a stop to …uh… relieve myself and a stop to get my food out my bag. Im pretty happy with it considering Im riding with 150m cranks. I think I will probly ride home every week now.

I ordered a 2" Big Apple last night, I’ll let you know how I get on with it.

Innes

The Big Apple 2.0 arrived in the post today, and I have just had a trial ride on it.

I was just out for 1 1/2 miles, but I think it is going to be a lot better. There is a pavement at the start of the route I took that has a very steep camber, and I was able to ride along straight, with no effort at all. Then down the road, I was able to ride on any part of the road easily and it stayed straight.

Thanks for the tip about the 2.0 tyre Semach.

Innes