KH27.5 for 2016

Unfortunately Dominator seems not to be prepared for rim brakes, so KH would suit me better.
Anyway I’ve bought a non-rim brake Dartmoor rim http://dartmoor-bikes.com/hardware/rims/shield with outside width of 33mm and 36 holes, so I’ll try this one first when i have the frame.

If the Dominator kept the same profile as the other Dominator rims, it’d fine with a rim brake.

You don’t have to have machined sidewalls.

Dominator have all the same profile and 42mm width (same as well as 36" Stealth2)
But all Dominator are not machined for rim brake

So what if they’re not machined? If the sidewalls are flat a rim brake will work fine.

not machined, means made for disc; this is much cheaper to manufacture, it’s why less and less uni rims have machined sidewalls, especcially Nimbus rims. Go to disc, this is the future (even the present !)

Not machined does not mean made for disk. It means not machined. As long as the sidewalls are flat and large enough to provide sufficient braking area, you can use a rim brake.

Disk only rims have rounded sides that don’t support a rim brake pad.

KH27.5 delivered. I need to cut down the seat post, but used another post and seat from my kh20 without brake attached and still a tad too high. Took it out tonight around the street, jumped over some curbs, rolling hops etc. Pretty impressive. Seems just agile enough yet fast enough to be fun. Seems like it could be very versatile. Definitely deserves its “tweener” nickname. More agile than a 29, faster and better rollover than a 26. Feels very light for such a fat tire and big wheel.

Yet to take it on trails though.

Not sure at All that braking a green painted 36 Stealth2 (=Dominator) with pads is efficient …

True. But the pads rubbing will soon enough clean the paint off and braking on the bare rim should be no different that with 20+ years of b*kes non-machined rims.

According to Municycle.com they will have KH27,5 rims at the beginning of June:-). Price is expected to be the same as the 29".

I tried both non-machined painted and machined rim and there was some difference, especially in the squeeling. Braking power was ok. But if I have both options now (or I will have in June) why not to go machined and skip the paint rubbing part.

That’s my plan. But I have “old” Schlumpf and I needed already to get back to rim brakes twice with it, so I don’t want to go all-disk now.

My first impressions:

What road tire would you all consider for this cycle? I want something light with a little suspension, but faster on the road than what it comes with. I had some very bad experiences with a big apple coming off my old 29er rim. I don’t want that again…

Setup my KH27.5 for the majority of its use, short urban commuter, with, of course, the easy option of putting back the 27.5x3 tube and tire for muni.

With the Big Ben 27.5 x 2 tire (needed narrower tube) and pedals in the 127mm position.

Nice and light and agile. Pretty much perfect for urban commuting. With the right PSI allows easy rolling hops, jumps. I even did a very steep grassy rutted hill (applying brakes) with absolutely no problem.

This is pretty much the dream machine. I am moving abroad and needed to replace a bunch of unis with this one due to space constraints. This fits the bill. If I had more money I’d get a spare wheel which would make reconfiguring for muni a lot easier.

Sexy machine!
A 2" tire on that wide rim? It’s not a problem?

Didn’t realize you’re moving abroad. Far?

I know the BA tire comes in different thickness, I would also like to know what thickness you went.