KH20 weight saving upgrades

i’m jealous

Funny that you bought that, i had the exact same wheelset. m41 hub, onza diamond rim and dt champion spokes.

Did it hold up well?

And what spoke nipple combination did you use as I have had a nightmare getting the correct size? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think i used Dt champion 14g 180mm spokes i bought off ebay and i used aluminium nippples for 14g

180mm with 12mm nipples will be the same as my 178mm, with 14mm nipples ( I could have just ordered some 12mm nipples had I though about it)

I was sent 180mm with 14mm nipples and they topped out on a 3x lace (i had 12mm nipples but in 13g and the spokes were 14g :roll_eyes: )

I have 158 spare spokes now :stuck_out_tongue: and when my 178s arrive they are a pack of 100 as I had to buy bulk in that size so that will take me up to 224 spare spokes lol

yeah i got a pack of 100 too but it came in handy cause i smashed a rim and needed new spokes

well 178 spokes on 14 mm nipples was the ticket (180mm on 12mm nipples would have worked to)

Build went ok but not as smooth as the last one.

4.14kg!!! from 5.2kg dead over a 1 kg loss by replacing everything bar the frame and seat post lol

I went for the black rimtape as the white was too bling and with black spokes and nipples it makes a totally black wheel :smiley:

She is so light and although I have no illusion on the little improvement she will give me SI jumps are so easy to pull her up to my crouch with no effort

I am trying again on the MEC Race and it feels better with a bit more pressure

Light wheel!

trails2s.JPG

trails1s.JPG

trials3s.JPG

trials4s.JPG

Wow what a nice uni!! been thinking about getting the same wheel for some time now. where did you buy the hub? I asked Marco and he can have them in 4-6 weeks… that’s a very long time!! would like to have it a little earlier…

Thanks I like it :smiley:

I had trouble finding it in 32h so used www.cdk.fr it took about 6 days to get to the UK 4 of those were sitting in a French depot but shipping was only a few Euros.

If you are getting the same rim then spoke length you can use 178mm with 14mm nipples like I used or 180mm with 12mm nipples should work as well.

I had trouble finding the 178mm ones

Get some aluminium nipples too from www.torontocycles.com

Thanks a ton dude!! might order it later today :slight_smile: I can get 177 mm spokes do you think it will do with 14 mm nipples?

This is what i got when i rode a 32 wheel
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DT-Swiss-Champion-2-0-x-180mm-black-spokes-Box-of-72-/120991274389?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2ba45595

Yes it will work but you won’t have the spokes in the nipples too deep so I would stick with brass ones not Ali ones

I have 180mms and they didn’t work with 14mm nipples as they ran out of thread before they were tight enough 12mm would give an extra mm of depth

16mm nipples would work with 176/177mm spokes
14mm nipples with 177/178mm spokes
12mm nipples with 179/180mm spokes

all 3 cross laced on the rim and hub I have

most spoke calculators base ona standard 12mm nipple 14mm nipples need 1mm shorter spokes and 16mm 2mm shorter you can safely lose another mm rounding down

I can only say I sue 178mm with 14mm nipples and they work well based on my spoke length issues due to nipple length differences I am pretty confident on the information above (I have spokes in all those lengths now :p) but as ever don’t take my word on it calculate it yourself :wink:

Haha yeah I forgot about this, maybe i laced it wrong because mine were tight enough when i was done.

The joys of wheel building, it really is an art as no two wheels seem to work out the same :wink:

I will receive my rim, spokes and aluminum nipples later today. too bad that you bought the last 32h hub they had at CDK. I’ll have to wait until the end of the month to get it :frowning:

Yay for me boo for you

well if you look a bit harder you might find one

https://www.einradshop.ch/einrad-shop/de/einradteile/257-mad4one-isis-32-36l-crmo-isis-einrad-nabe-kaufen-schweiz.html

I just went through all the shops linked from the mad4one site

I have one i could sell you, not sure how much shipping would be though and it might take awhile to get to you

nah man. thanks for the offers guys, but i think I’ll stick with the waiting (:

So we have very simmilar unis after my wheel gets built!