kh seat thoughts

let me start off by saying that the KH Velo seat is probobly the best uni saddle available in its price range (unless you dislike the extra bulk)

that being said

not haveing a medal plate to secure the bolts from spinning was a mistake and spinning bolts are not the only worry without a plate being there…

You’ve been checking out the German forum again. :roll_eyes: :slight_smile:

I saw that thread a couple days ago and it was hard for me to make sense of the Babel Fish translation at altavista.com.

Here is the Babel Fish version of the message that goes with that picture:

The thread is here
<http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20917&perpage=15&pagenumber=3&gt;

Anyone know German and can figure out what is going on?

In Germany they have a version of what looks like the Velo saddle called the Qu-Ax. I’m not sure if it’s based on the prototype version of the Velo or the final version of the Velo. They had the Qu-Ax saddle long before we had the Velo so I’m guessing the Qu-Ax is based on the early versions of the Velo that were more flexy.

-Rear One

Problem and answer !

uniikki

yeah i guess that would work.

i hope Velo puts a plate in the newer batches,not everyone can do a fix like that or sould they have to.even the cheapest uni seats with plastic bases have a little plate in them.

I hope George Barnes sees that seatpost modification and gets an idea. :slight_smile:

That seatpost gusset is similar to what John Foss had done to the Miyata seat he uses on his muni.

Hi!

In the Text I wrote the seat is broken at a trial session (by the highjump)

Lutz

Re: kh seat thoughts

Hi,

The first production models did not come with a seat plate (despite a lot of
argument on my part!) but all the later production models have a seat plate.
How old is the seat? If the seat has a plate then I’d like to see details
of the problem but otherwise this problem may have already been fixed.

-Kris.
----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: rec.sport.unicycling
To: <rsu@unicycling.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 4:52 PM
Subject: kh seat thoughts

>
> let me start off by saying that the KH Velo seat is probobly the best
> uni saddle available in its price range (unless you dislike the extra
> bulk)
>
> that being said
>
> not haveing a medal plate to secure the bolts from spinning was a
> mistake and spinning bolts are not the only worry without a plate being
> there…
>
>
> ±---------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Attachment filename: broken kh seat.jpg |
> |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/136200|
> ±---------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> –
> jagur - Random Unicyclist
>
> -searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will…
> all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation…-[image:
> http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/bluestripe.gif]
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> jagur’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/502
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/24656
>
>

> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>
>

As unicycles get stronger and better made, new weak spots will be found. Now that we have multiple choices of relatively unbreakable axles, probably the weakest point on the unicycle is the area around the top of the seat post.

Bike seat posts just don’t get the kind of torquing we unicyclists put on ours, but unicycle posts are still built like bike ones. Plus, adding handles to the front, and even GB handles in front of that, put the levering force even further from the post, making it increasingly easier to rip seats and posts apart.

I’ve experienced these problems since the 80s with Miyatas. Early seats tended to crack at the side rivets, in the area just in front of the seat post. Later ones were stronger, but then the seat posts themselves would rip apart. I had many a Miyata post that tore away from the seat plate at the top.

In the future, I think high-end saddles should be made relatively weak, and not intended for all the grabbing and pulling. Those forces should be taken up by something built for the purpose, to which the seat is attached. This will allow seats to be much lighter, which will help compensate for the extra material (probably metal) that will extend from the seat post out to the handle, and possible rear bumper areas.

The Wyganowski bracket/rack system for Cokers is an example of this. The picture from the German forum of the reinforced KH post & plate looks like a great solution for today’s seats.

In my first month or so of riding it, I discovered the weakest point on my new Wilder was the relatively inexpensive seat post. I bent it in an ugly dismount while hopping over some logs. So I put on a Kinport bracket and have been riding with the Pyramid suspension post. For only $25 from Unicycle.com, it’s an amazing deal! It was perfect for the hard surfaces in Moab. So far it’s holding up better than I expected.

But even that seatpost setup is potentially vulnerable. The post is designed for bikes, and the bracket is made based on bike designs. We’ll see how it holds up to the constant yanking of mountain unicycling.

Hi,

the Seat ist two month old.

Lutz